• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman tang sight issues

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
I want to get my tang sight functional. Its been locked up as long as I can remember. However, I have been oiling it off and on for a while and its loosening up, I can get it to elevate some. Im afraid to put preassure on it and strip it.

Would soaking it in some hoppies or kroil oil hurt the finish?

I'd also like to find some replacement screws. Seems like the old vinrage parts guys at gun shows are dying off...

I shot both rifles based on FoulMike's and others suggestions. Justva few groups, was suprisingly impressed... Id like to get the tang sight workjng and let my nephews shoot a few rounds before they go back into the safe.

20231015_164515.jpg
20231015_164503.jpg
20231015_164222.jpg
20231015_164445.jpg

Kroil, Hoppes, Kerosene or ever Diesel wil not hurt the finish ,

I would use Kero or Kroil, and let it soak , completely covered, for a few days, work it, and soak some more, until is frees up

Reactions: ZG47A
Heat gun could help.
The threads are strong. Hard to strip. Screws are tough to find. They don’t bring a lot so folks just sit on them.

For screws, have you tried Marbles? I have a new style Marbles Tang Sight on my Marlin 39 and they had the proper screws with it. Maybe take measurements and call Brownells.

I’ll gladly store them for you!🤣

Reactions: camocorvette
All good advice above. Soak. Don't force anything and just adjust it back and forth in the adjustment range available. Might be able to work it loose with it wet and back and forth.

Reactions: Modoc
Since I didn’t see them on the low-wall or Marlin 97, put them in your/an ultrasonic cleaner for a cycle.