• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M-1 Garand actions

locutus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2020
Is it possible to build an accurate LR rifle, on an M-1 Garand action???? I'm thinking 6.5 PRC perhaps???

I believe it's possible! I don't know if it would reach the same level as an accurized AR, but accurate enough for long range fun, I'd say so. Criterion makes excellent barrels, and they make em' for the M1 Garand. You'd have to get some trigger work done as well since the M1 trigger is rather stiff and wouldn't lend itself well to long range performance.

Aside from that, the biggest complication you have is scope mount placement. I'm not sure how that could be done properly to be honest. Maybe there's a mount out there that works like the GG&G M1A scope mount that brings the scope back overtop the ejection port as far as possible, and use a scope with good eye relief.

EDIT: Whoa. I totally overlooked the fact that you mentioned 6.5PRC. I wouldn't recomend doing anything other than 30-06 or .308 for a Garand. And I also forgot you can't put the clip in if you have a scope mount over it... Maybe it might be more trouble than it's worth :/ you might find a solution though, just whatever you do, don't do anything permanent to the original parts!

I "tricked out" a Garand once by swapping the stock out and using a scout rail with a red dot. It was fun to play with, but I kept my original parts so that I could return it to the original configuration after I had my fun. I would have seriously regretted making any permanent modifications.

Last edited:
I don't think the gas system or receiver can handle a 6.5 PRC. Also, how would it still feed reliably when it is clip fed, and designed around a specific case head diameter.

You would be better off building a bolt action, or if you want a semi auto build one from an AR10 platform.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
My father has has one converted to a .308, so I would think that it would feasible to make one in 243, 260 or 7mm08 not sure about the others as it would have to feed from the 8 round clip....

Reactions: vigildom7
6.5CM it. would be a fun little gun but you could build an AR10 cheaper, be more accurate and much easier to build.

Garand will bend ops rods if u use commercial 30-06, which is why you have to shoot M2 spec ammo.

How would you get the enbloc clip in and out with a scope over the ejection port?

The problem with those other calibers you mentioned is the port pressure and damaging the op-rod. Those powders don't generally use powders that are compatible with the M1 gas system. Yes you can get an adjustable gas plug to bleed off excess gas, but performance is still lacking.

The 308 today is as powerful (possibly more powerful) as the 30-06 was when the M1 was manufactured.

They make special clips/clip latches that stay in the gun and do not eject the clip- this would get you around the problem of the clip loading/ejecting and prevent the necessity of a scope mounted off-set from the bore. You would need to single load cartridges into the magazine, but it can be done. But, the M-14 is a product improved M1 Garand. Yes, they can be made to be accurate, but they are more difficult to get there, more difficult to keep there, and perhaps less precise overall than a modern AR10.

BUBBA Back away from the beautiful milsurp!!
You will be executed for your crimes unless you send that reciever to someone who will respect it and cherish the M1 for who it is!

Attachments

• 056ad3b6b319dc2591cba31d582efd3b.jpg
    056ad3b6b319dc2591cba31d582efd3b.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 16
For an M1 Garand, you're stuck with .30-06 or .308. Fulton Armory makes them new. You can get an M1A from Springfield Armory in 6.5 Creedmoor, or a somewhat more expensive one from Fulton Armory in the same calibre. Other than that, you'd be better off with an AR10-pattern rifle like others have suggested.

OP, I'll save you months and years of headache right now. The answer is "No". At best you're talking a 1-1.5 MOA rifle.

Caliber selection is limited by the gas system. The op-rod can't handle port pressures caused by the powder used in most cartridges (that actually would fit) under 7mm. 6.5 PRC is an immediate no-go because of the bolt face diameter, the magazine, clips, etc... Even the 6.5 Creedmoor is going to take some work; adjustable gas cylinder or light bullets with Varget, potential feeding issues... And you gotta find someone to spin up a barrel for you. Timed receiver threads, timed gas cylinder splines, gas port, hand guard mounting interfaces, extractor cuts, feed ramp cuts etc... It's not a simply contoured barrel. You'll have to decide which handguard(s) to keep and omit, and come up with some way to bed the rifle.

After all of your hard work you'll have something that is both ugly and performs with mediocrity next to modern semi-autos.

I'd like to see what the M1c/d models could do. Would be fun to take one out shooting steel!

I've never read or heard a favorable first-hand account of them from soldiers/Marines that were issued them. Maybe an acceptable DMR style rifle in WWII/Korea, but very quickly obsolete, and never a true LR/"Sniper" rifle. I'd guess 1.5-2.5 MOA with issued ball/AP ammo. Both the C and D models leave something to be desired in optics mounting hardware, let alone the optics (2.2-2.5x).

Don't fool yourself and butcher a piece of history in the process.

Even a 6.5 Creedmoor M1a is more trouble than it's worth.

Thank you all for the advice. I guess I'll stick to .308 for my Garand.

Since the AR-10 action has issues with 6.5 PRC, I've been looking for alternatives, but at present I guess there really aren't very many.

Start looking for semi autos in Magnum calibers if you want to try 6.5 PRC. Case diameter trumps all for magazines and feeding

Reactions: locutus
Late to the party and most of the key points ate made. There is a reason Service Rifle shooters shoot AR's. I started on a .308 Match Garand, Quantico built in 1968. I was 1 when it was built. I shot it for 2 years before getting a National Match built A2. Most of the shooters I know go distinguished with an AR then shoot wooden rifles for fun. Mine gets shot in a couple of Unlimited Class matches a year as I cannot shot it in John C. Garand matches.

I highly recommend shooting a couple of matches with it for fun even if you decide its not your game after.

An as issued Garand and National Match conditioned M1A are on my wish list.

ETA: where do you usually shoot?

Late to the party and most of the key points ate made. There is a reason Service Rifle shooters shoot AR's. I started on a .308 Match Garand, Quantico built in 1968. I was 1 when it was built. I shot it for 2 years before getting a National Match built A2. Most of the shooters I know go distinguished with an AR then shoot wooden rifles for fun. Mine gets shot in a couple of Unlimited Class matches a year as I cannot shot it in John C. Garand matches.

I highly recommend shooting a couple of matches with it for fun even if you decide its not your game after.

An as issued Garand and National Match conditioned M1A are on my wish list.

ETA: where do you usually shoot?

Usually on a 100,300 and 600 yard range, or out in the mountains.. My M-1 has been rebarrelled to .308 and brought up to NM standards. It's really a fun gun, even though I truly HATE wood stocks.

Oh well! I'll wait. Sooner or later someone will offer an AR type action suitable for 6.5PRC and/or 6.5 WSSM.

It's not as if I don't have anything to shoot while waiting!:)

Reactions: gunsnjeeps