• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m-24 trainer

marshallwk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2009
NC
I had to make a seperate post as i'm sure this was asked before, but I could not find a definitive answer.

I have a month to practice before I need to shoot 5 groups of 5 shots within 1 inch@ 25 meters with a m4 carbine. Obviously I will be practicing with the m4 carbine. Additionally I would like to do higher volume training with a 22. Especially shooting different postions @ say 25-50 meters along with dry fire training. <span style="text-decoration: underline">I would like to have a 22 in my own personal collection that resembles a m-24 solely for ergonomics sake.</span>
The scope I will be using is a Leupold 3.5X10 Mark 4. I have no idea what scopes are good for this type of build. Will be practicing standing, kneeling and prone once a week with this rifle so I don't have to waste 308

Re: m-24 trainer

I've been seeing alot of this "trainer" hype lately and havent really said anything about it but here it is. I am NOT trying to be a dick but I just dont get it, I mean why does it need to resemble an M-24, in your case, or any other bolt gun in others, for ergonomics sake? I have won LR matches with an M-24 and what did I practice with you might ask..... this

M44.jpg

it is a Mossberg M44 used to train privates in the 40's before being handed an M1. Does it have a bolt, yup, does it have a scope, yup. I dont see what else you need in a "trainer". I dont need the rig to look exactly like my bolt gun only smaller in order to train the fundamentals and technique. seems like alot of wasted money to me.

on the M4 training, why not put a 22 conversion in your M4 and train with that at 25 or 20 yards?

oh and here is my GAP built M-24, do tthey look anything alike.....nope

M24KIT2.jpg

Remington 40X, H-S Precision PST-11 stock. I think that is as close as you can get with a rimfire to a M-24. That setup is not going to be cheap. I think you're better off with something like that ^^^^

not directed directly at you marshall but while i'm voicing my opinion on "trainers" I look at it like a bicycle, when you learned to ride a bike on a K-mart Sigma did you only ride a sigma the rest of your life cause thats what you trained and learned on? there are millions of combinations of bikes out there, you can ride any of them huh, why, cause essentially they are all the same, they have two wheels, handle bars and pedals. Same goes for bolt action rifles go in my opinion as far as training........

Have you looked at the Kimber's from CMP

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

They can be set up as you indicated.

But if you were to get involved in NRA Light Rifle or CMP Sporting Rifle (Rimfire) I don't believe they would make weight.

In that case I'd look at the CZ 452 Military Trainers. Excelleant-accurate rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purcased my first 40X a couple weeks ago and after some info gathering I plan on placing mine in my fully adj. "M24" HS stock solely so I can run a bipod without altering the wood stock or any other piece of 40X...</div></div>

You can also get the Harris adapter:
Link
I didn't want to alter my 40X, (it was in better condition than I was expecting) the adapter fits in the rail that's already in the stock.

As far as the OP's question the 40X is the only rifle that you can make feel just like your M24. You could get close with something else but not like you could with the 40X. My 40X is a lot heavier than my .308(LTR) but it shoots to good to try and build a copy (cut down etc). For that matter, I couldn't afford another Nightforce any time soon so it's staying just like it is.

I agree with you on the trainer issue, guess I should have been a tad more specific.
I need to shoot more. So im looking at a 22 to do that with. If I can get a bolt action rifle as close as possible to a remington 700 or m-24 I might as well. Shooting with a ruger 10-22 would certainly help me out. But why not get it as close as possible to what I would be shooting? Like you mentioned, it doesn't really matter at all if the barrel is 24 inches, 26 inches or has the exact same stock. But at least a smacking resembalance would be nice.

I'll look into those kimbers. My father is a huge mossberg collector. I agree those m44's are excellent weapons. I learned to shoot on a mossberg 22.

Excellent idea on the m-4 22 bolt or upper I will definately look into that.

I would pick up a cheap romainian model 1969 trainer for $50 bucks and tap it for your scope and go shoot. I have one that shoots great and with what you save you can buy a whole lot of .308 ammo.
just my .02 worth

The 40-XB or 40X-HB is built on a 700 receiver (the 40X is on the older 722 receiver).

If wanting to match up a .22 to a Remington 700 and drop it into any Remington inlet stock; including the HS SHORT ACTION PST006/007, is your goal. Then all the other "suggestions" are a waste of time.

If you want to train on an M4 based system; then obviously a dedicated .22 upper dropped on your lower is absolutely perfect.

Oh, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting an M24-style .22 Trainer. Heck there are a lot of guys on here that try to match there "big" guns. Its YOUR money, spend it where YOU want.

oh, and... my R700 5R Milspec and my 40XB:
2723164009_large.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, those are some sweet sticks by the way.

Moneys kind of tight for now so I ordered a NC-22 upper and some parts to train on the M4.'

I have an old Marlin 22LR I am going to put a tacticool style stock on for basic postion practice when I don't feel like digging into my dwindling m118 supply.

After doing some research on here, im kicking myself I didn't buy those 40x's when they were on the CMP site. Heck even the garands. I remember even only a few years ago(08-09) you could get a garand for around 400. CMP is running out of the good stuff. Now if only we could get them to hand out the 1911's and M14's
smile.gif

Once again thanks for the feedback fellas.

marshall, for waht you are needing it for immediately; I believe that to be a very wise choice.

I actually think they have the 40XB (700 footprint) barreled actions still available. You will need about $300-400 in additional parts though which puts you close to finding a used on... BUT, if you are looking for "down the road..."

... I'm just sayin'