• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M-40 zero?

Chance

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2004
South, TX.
I've had one if these rifles for a few years now. I use a civilian version period correct redfield accurange also. I've always zeroed at 100 yds., especially on my normal competition rifles. On the redfield, I don't really feel confident in adjusting the scope knobs, repeatability concerns. It seems I've read at one point that the Marines zeroed at 500 yds. And then of course held under or over.

What range do you guys zero these scopes at? Especially you guys who compete in vintage sniper matches.

Its really up to you.

I'm running a straight 12X Redfield on mine.

IMAG1049-1.jpg

I'm planning to run a 200yd zero since the difference isnt much different from a 100yd zero.

Depends on how far you plan to shoot yours too.

If your gonna really toss some rounds go with the 500yd zero.

Most shots I will likely see in practical use will be 0-300yds so off a 200yd zero I won't have to hold too much.

Good points. Many hunters like a 200 yd zero since they can use it at the ranges most of them shoot game, like 50-300yds, and just do a tough of hold under/over. Many ammo boxes have the ballistics for 100 and 200 yd zeros for a reason.

If you want to shoot vintage sniper at 300 and 600 CMP style I would find the elevation settings for each range with the planned lot of ammo and just change the elevation settings in the normal way. You will soon find out just how repeatable your particular rifle/scope combo is.

What range do you guys zero these scopes at? Especially you guys who compete in vintage sniper matches

M-40s are allowed in CMP Vintage Rifle Matches.

On my M1903A4 I have two zeros, one for 300 and one for 600.

Do any of you know the range the Marines zeroed these rifles at? Just for my own knowledge.

Thanks kraig. Don't know if I'm going to sight in at that range or not. It's good to know. I wish it had some good target turrets so I could easily adjust the come ups. No vintage matches were I live so far. I would like to make one, one day, they look fun.

The 500 yd zero works well when shooting vertical targets. Not too practical for hunting with that reticule IMO

Chance,

If you get a chance to take a look at the older USMC FMs on sniping, they show the hold-offs associated with a 500 yard zero. We're talking holding as low as the knees up to around the belt line for an upright target at some of the shorter ranges, dead on at around the five-hundred mark, and then holding over from there. Doable, but it takes a bit to get used to, and isn't anywhere close to the sort of precision that's afforded today with better optics, ranging techniques, etc..

For what it's worth, we used to zero our M21s at 300M, and then cam in the range from there on out. But you did have to remain conscious of that trajectory at closer ranges. If memory serves, you're running about 8" high at 200M with that zero, and fairly close to that at 100 as well.