• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns M&P. .22 pistol

PRScustom

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2011
Thoughts or opinions on this pistol. Accuracy? Build quality? Reliable function? I thought for $300 it would be a good practice pistol. Held one at the local gun shop and liked it but looking for some people with hands on experience.

Have one and have personal knowledge of one other. Good guns except neither will extract properly using Remington ammunition. It may feed/extract the first 4 or 5 rounds from a magazine and then I will experience a failure to extract. If I use Federal (from the bulk pack) I have no problems. Have shot a limited amount of CCI through the gun and it cycles fine.

I also have one. It's more accurate than I am and loves the CCI velocitor ammo. Have never had a problem with it.

My son and I both use one to practice our postol shooting for 3 Gun competition. Its such an exact replica of the M&P 9 that I use in the competition that its excellent to practice with and cheaper than shooting 9mm. Plenty accurate. With 22LR it runs pretty dirty so it pays to clean it often. I have a jam every now and again, but it helps me to have that as it gives me practice with FTF drills. Overall I've been really pleased. I'll be buying another one soon.

I carry a MP45 for my duty weapon. It only made sense to buy a MP22 for training. I had a Sig Misquito that would only shoot cci mini mags. The MP22 has cycled everything I've put through it. Maybe a jam or two from being to dirty. I've made hits on steel at 100 yards with it, so I'd have to agree that it's more accurate than me.

I use one as a trainer for myself, and for the students i teach at our county range. It has done very well for me, though it gets very dirty in short order.

Performance has been stellar, with the exception of winchester .22lr of any variety... everything else has been basically 100% effective. Accuracy is reasonable for the design, i'm overall very pleased with it.

A word of caution though... I would encourage you NOT to detail strip the frame for cleaning but rather blast it with BWC gunscrubber or something similar that is polymer safe. It's a PITA to get it all back in correctly, and it is very easy to crack the hammer spring housing. S&W offered to replace mine (lifetime coverage they said) but would not give/sell me the plastic part of the frame (which is not serialized) even though I am a certified armorer. The guy told me they might replace the entire gun, which is asinine over something so easy to change. I do not desire a serial number change and additional paperwork to get my own damn gun back, so i said no. It is functional as is, even with the crack- I'm going to fill the rear frame cavity behind that housing with devcon and call it a wash. They did offer to pay shipping, which was nice.

My last remaining gripe is with all M&P series handguns, though they are still my favorite of the poly frame guns: ROLL PINS! WTF?!?!!? if glock can use a standard pin in all their models, the m&p ought to do the same. Roll pins are a cheap out on the part of the MFG, and IMHO a weak link in this handgun. After a few detail strips, it's very easy to bugger them up and/or bend them. If I keep my m&p guns, which I likely will, I intend to cut some cylinder pins for them.

Overall, i'm happy with the pistol but less than impressed with S&W service. The guy on the phone was very nice (after 30+ min on hold), but the solutions are less than satisfactory.

Last edited:
I really like mine a lot. It has only had a failure twice out of probably 400 rounds. It's easy to convert the 10 round mags into 12. I would highly recommend it.

It's a good idea to grab any mag you can find. It took me nearly a year to find a second one. That's one thing I mentioned in the second video above: I wish S&W would have included a second mag with the pistol.

HRF

Love my mp22. It eats everything but Winchester 550. I usually shoot standard vel cci and if never has a malfunction with them. Great pistol for new shooters to my girlfriend loves it.

We use it as a trainer as well and eats everything we put through it. Put some Dawson Creek sights on and you are Golden.

I discovered that mine doesn't like the round-nose, lead tipped ammo at all. All of my previous shooting had been with copper-plated loads, and they have functioned very well. I recently tried some match, lead, round nose and had all kinds of problems. Anyone else had this happen?