• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing m&p 40 recoil spring

JakeGein

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Valparaiso, IN
hello everyone
just picked up a S&W M&P 40 a while back for range and home use. but, now im getting into aftermarket parts, sights, barrels, and so on... 2 questions. where can i find a small red dot to replace the rear sight with? and if possible, can i replace the recoil spring with a double spring out of a glock, or something similar? options or advice totally welcome.
thanks
-jake

Re: m&p 40 recoil spring

The only M&P web site you will ever need is below. I would advice against a red dot on your slide because follow up shots are faster with irons when attached this way. Speed Shooters has built a red dot platform that attaches to the front rail so the red dot does not move while shooting it will be a little while before it is on the mass market though. If you have any questions on these handguns let me know I have worked with them for some time now and by far are my favorite handguns out there.
I have a thread started on a limited M&P .40 I built. Gun shoots like its on rails. Like I said if you need help on anything just let me know.

Strangedays
http://www.speedshooterspecialties....+Wesson+M&P+9/40/357&subcategories=Guide+Rods

awesome, i'll have to check that sight out. thanks. and i believe you are the one im getting the ported barrel off of

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakegein</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome, i'll have to check that sight out. thanks. and i believe you are the one im getting the ported barrel off of </div></div>
I will have that shipped tomorrow by the way. If you need any information on trigger jobs just let me know.
Here is the link to my M&P, The only reason I am getting rid of the ported barrel is to stay in Limited http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2340984

will do, i think im gonna hold off on that till last. for now im trying to find a nice aftermarket sight set. im just not a fan of the stock sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might look into this red dot solution.

http://www.reddotpistols.com/index.php?pg=gallery&start=40

</div></div>
I can always tell people who have yet to shoot a red dot attached to the slide. It is pointless. You are just as fast as a iron sight without going to Open class for "Looks" I am sorry but to have a co-witness handgun like that is a waste of money. Save your money and put it into something that will work right.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I think I'm just going to go with a set of optical sights. As for a double recoil spring, I'm finding nothing. I shot a glock (forgot the model) .40 cal. It had a double spring, and seemed to have less kick to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might look into this red dot solution.

</div></div>
I can always tell people who have yet to shoot a red dot attached to the slide. <span style="font-weight: bold">It is pointless.</span> You are just as fast as a iron sight without <span style="font-weight: bold">going to Open class for "Looks"</span> I am sorry but to have a co-witness handgun like that is a waste of money. Save your money and put it into something that will work right. </div></div>
These aren't competition guns. AAYMWV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might look into this red dot solution.

</div></div>
I can always tell people who have yet to shoot a red dot attached to the slide. <span style="font-weight: bold">It is pointless.</span> You are just as fast as a iron sight without <span style="font-weight: bold">going to Open class for "Looks"</span> I am sorry but to have a co-witness handgun like that is a waste of money. Save your money and put it into something that will work right. </div></div>
These aren't competition guns. AAYMWV </div></div>
Again from someone who obviously does not shoot them or know what makes a competition gun or not.
I have seen several in "OPEN" and I shoot one in "Limited" and I know of lots of people who do the same. Have you ever heard of Dan Burwell? Well he is a top shooter and shoots the M&P also. My words for you would be to not try to add to anything you know nothing about. Your ignorance is more than obvious. There are lots of Glocks and other guns in both Open and Limited along with production it just matters on what the owner wants to shoot and what he want to do to the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakegein</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I think I'm just going to go with a set of optical sights. As for a double recoil spring, I'm finding nothing. I shot a glock (forgot the model) .40 cal. It had a double spring, and seemed to have less kick to it. </div></div>
I know what you are talking about but if you run the non captured guide rod and put a 14 or 13 lbs spring it might help some but I personally like running the 15 lb spring to make sure I don't have any jams or miss fires. If you run a weaker spring it has caused issues with weak hand shooting where the grip is not tight enough for the gun to cycle right. A good oil like the stuff Brian Enos sells on his web site will also help with recoil and make the gun run smooth.

mine in bold
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Again from someone who obviously does not shoot them or know what makes a competition gun or not.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I do not know what makes a "competition gun" in your view, and I don't shoot competitively, but I know for a fact that these are not created to be competition guns.

I do shoot them, but mostly I make them and our customers are not generally competition shooters.
</span>
I have seen several in "OPEN" and I shoot one in "Limited" and I know of lots of people who do the same. Have you ever heard of Dan Burwell? Well he is a top shooter and shoots the M&P also. My words for you would be to not try to add to anything you know nothing about. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000099">Your ignorance is more than obvious. </span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I wasn't claiming to know about competition shooting, just mounting of RDS on slides.
</span>
There are lots of Glocks and other guns in both Open and Limited along with production it just matters on <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3333FF">what the owner wants to shoot and what he want to do to the gun.</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, this is exactly what we try to do.</span>
</div></div>
Factory guns are now being offered with this option (FN specifically) and Lone Wolf offers their slides pre milled.

I don't think they do as nice a job.

I understand that this doesn't fit your shooting application, and they don't appear to fit your competition application either, but customers are requesting these.

I was just trying to answer the OP question about the availability of a RDS on his pistol not create any difficulty.

If something I've posted here is inappropriate then could the moderators clean it up?

Thanks,
Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine in bold
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">I do not know what makes a "competition gun" in your view, and I don't shoot competitively, but I know for a fact that these are not created to be competition guns.

I do shoot them, but mostly I make them and our customers are not generally competition shooters.
</span>
I have seen several in "OPEN" and I shoot one in "Limited" and I know of lots of people who do the same. Have you ever heard of Dan Burwell? Well he is a top shooter and shoots the M&P also. My words for you would be to not try to add to anything you know nothing about. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000099">Your ignorance is more than obvious. </span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I wasn't claiming to know about competition shooting, just mounting of RDS on slides.
</span>
There are lots of Glocks and other guns in both Open and Limited along with production it just matters on <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3333FF">what the owner wants to shoot and what he want to do to the gun.</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, this is exactly what we try to do.</span>
</div></div>
Factory guns are now being offered with this option (FN specifically) and Lone Wolf offers their slides pre milled.

I don't think they do as nice a job.

I understand that this doesn't fit your shooting application, and they don't appear to fit your competition application either, but customers are requesting these.

I was just trying to answer the OP question about the availability of a RDS on his pistol not create any difficulty.

If something I've posted here is inappropriate then could the moderators clean it up?

Thanks,
Mark </div></div>

Finding out that you do this for a living explains why you think that setup is good. I don't care if you shoot for fun or shoot comp it has been proven that red dot mounted on the slide is just as fast and irons. So my point is this you could mount a 6x optic on a shotgun for shooting clays and you would be missing more than if you shot with the sights that came with the gun. Now instead of puting any money into the red dot plus the slide work you could put it into something that would be more than simply "Looks" and in the end make the gun better for the end user. I know lots of people who shoot competition and lots who don't and I doubt anyone who knew much about shooting would not be able to understand why this red dot setup would not work. Does it look cool, well yes it looks bad ass and the idea sounds great from the mind set of someone who does not shoot their guns much. The logic is simply not there to back up a need for this setup. JMHO sorry if I affended you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JMHO sorry if I affended you. </div></div>

Not at all.

I was somewhat taken back by the seemingly hostile tone for simply responding to the OP with a source of a RDS on his slide.

I was concerned what I had posted was somehow inappropriate.

Is this setup is for everyone? Certainly not, but there are lots of folks who use and like this configuration.

Personally, as a hired machinist, I try not to let my personal opinions get in my way and I'm certainly not here 'selling' this.

If you read a bit at the forum associated with Suarez International you will get their take on this setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JMHO sorry if I affended you. </div></div>

Not at all.

I was somewhat taken back by <span style="color: #000099">the seemingly hostile tone</span> for simply responding to the OP with a source of a RDS on his slide.

I was concerned what I had posted was somehow inappropriate.

Is this setup is for everyone? Certainly not, but there are lots of folks who use and like this configuration.

Personally, as a hired machinist, I try not to let my personal opinions get in my way and I'm certainly not here 'selling' this.

If you read a bit at the forum associated with Suarez International you will get their take on this setup.
</div></div>
And this is why typing online is always hard because words are always more harsh than one might intend. Take care and shoot safe!

I like slide riders better than standard irons. Can focus on the target instead of the front sight. Also better field of view. I like fixed to the frame even better since you don't lose the sight picture as the slide reciprocates.

Slide riding reddots will eventually be the norm on standard non CCW pistols. Now that durability and battery life are REALLY good, they have no real disadvantage over irons.