• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns M&P 45 Grip Reduction and Stippling from DFC Review

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
My apologies in advance for the crappy pictures. I had a review of the M&P 45 in the works, but I just got my M&P back from Diversified Firearm Concepts and was so excited, I wanted to post the results quickly. I have not had the opportunity to fire this yet, but lots of dry fire tells me what I need to know about the quality of this job. It is outstanding.

I really like the M&P. Its grip angle is close to the 1911, so it is a pretty easy transition to the M&P platform from the 1911. While the M&P doesn't have a pronounced Glock "hump" and associated grip angle, even with the small inserts, it still has somewhat of a hump. During extended shooting sessions when I am gripping the gun tightly, my palm ends up cramping up a bit while I never have that issue with the 1911. Further, the grip on a stock M&P is not that tacky. Smiths have been offering checkering on 1911's for years for one simple reason: it works. Similarly, many smiths out there are offering custom stipple jobs. And quite frankly, with a soldering iron, most people could stipple the frames themselves.

I looked around at some of the stipple jobs out there. Most of them are pretty ugly, though probably effective. I am not a fan of the tree bark look of the job that David Bowie does, though I am sure that it is effective. There are a few outfits out there that do grip reductions, but I kept coming back to Diversified Firearm Concepts as offering the most 1911-like looking grip reduction as well as the most attractive looking stipple job. The stippling just looks more like something that would have come from the original manufacturer. I ordered up his package along with a beveled magwell, half beavertail removal, and trigger guard undercut.

Here is a comparison between a stock M&P 45, an M&P 45 with the DFC grip reduction, and my Les Baer 1911 with VZ grips (standard width).

The DFC job did the trick. I wouldn't say I have small hands. I have rather large hands, but my fingers are short and sausage-like. A 1911 fits my hand like a glove, but a government 1911 will really only feed an 8 round mag reliably. The M&P allows for 10 rounds in a double stack mag, a nice little addition with 1911 ergonomics. DFC takes the pistol the extra step to get the ergonomics down to where it matches a 1911 grip almost precisely.

I took off some measurements and here is how a 1911 vs. stock M&P 45 vs. M&P 45 from DFC stack up:
Grip circumference:
DFC M&P - 5.27"
1911 - 5.33"
Stock M&P - 5.67"

Grip width
DFC M&P - 1.19"
1911 - 1.30"
Stock M&P - 1.21"

Grip length
DFC M&P - 1.95"
1911 - 2.07"
Stock M&P - 2.14"

As you can see, most of the reduction in grip circumference is made up in length reduction. Surprisingly, a single-stack 1911 with standard width VZ Alien grips has the same grip width as a double stack M&P. This is the magic of the plastic pistol. By integrating the stocks into the frame, you get a width reduction that allows you to fit more rounds. The grip reduction mostly involves cutting unnecessary length out of the M&P's grip. Obviously, there is a lot of wasted space here, and it is great that Joe has figured out a way to get a lot of that space back for the digitally challenged such as myself.

The stippling gives the grip an aggressive feel, a bit more aggressive than my VZ Alien grips. DFC offers two textures, competitive and carry. I opted for the competitive stipple, reasoning that I can sand it down a bit if the competitive is too aggressive. I think that is actually all that Joe does as he charges a bit more for the carry stipple.

You might also notice the stippling on the frame. Here are two more pictures to give you a better idea:

and closer up

I thought the stippling on the side of the frame towards the muzzle looked cool, but was kind of gimmicky. Upon dry firing, I realized that is is, in fact, very useful in giving you confidence that your support hand is indexed appropriately. The sandpaper feel of the stippling sends an instant message to your brain than your grip is correct. It is a nice touch. Another nice touch is the removal of the mag release hump on the M&P. For those of you familiar with the M&P platform, there is a pinch point at the mag release where a hump meets the mag release button. As a right hander, I actually move the mag release to the right side (opposite of a 1911) because it is much easier for me to hit the mag release with my middle finger without loosening my sausage fingered grip. This helps with the pinch versus keeping the mag release on the left side, but the "hump removal" eliminates the pinch and seems to make the release a hair more accessible.

Although I go on and on in this review about the "look" of the stippling, I am a big form over function guy. I mean, we are talking about a plastic gun here. But some people might have an issue with the color blend of the grip. Basically, Joe takes some sort of marine tex or other kind of moldable filler and permanently grafts this to the frame (no more switching out grip inserts). To match this with the rest of the pistol, he has to use some sort of a die. A faint color mismatch is evident, but it is not really bothersome to me. Just something I need to point out.

If any issues come out at the range, I will point them out. Unfortunately, it is the dead of winter here in Texas, and unlike some years, it is actually cold, so I won't get to see the effect of sweating like a pig on the grip during my next range session. Still, based on what I have seen so far, this grip reduction and stippling job has met my expectations.

DFC's website can be found here: DFC - Diversified Firearm Concepts

Joey also does grip reduction and stippling on Glocks. It begs the question... If I buy an M&P because of the grip angle, but I need to get it "fixed" and the Glock can be "fixed" the same way, why go with an M&P? It is a separate discussion, but it is worth me thinking about, especially with all of the aftermarket parts available for the Glock vs M&P. No need to respond, just take a look at the grip reduction and stipple job. I highly recommend it for those with sausage fingers looking for an even more 1911-like experience from their M&P.

He got it September 3, I got it back December 23. Shorter than most, but the website says 4 weeks. I don't think he updates it that often. Also, my experience with most of the good smiths is that they under estimate lead times, sometimes pretty significantly. There was a period of about a week during Thanksgiving when he said it was ready to go and i told him to hold off as i was out of town. I expected to get it when i got back, but it ended up taking another 3 weeks. That was the only frustrating part. If I had been quoted 3 months up front, I would have been fine with that.