• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors M&P compact

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
either buying a M&P compact in either 9 or 40 and having trouble with my decision

I have shot both and i am still having issues deciding.

I am more accurate with the 9 but am proficient enough with the 40 that it would not bother me to carry it

Has anyone every heard of a situation where something would have been significantly different if they had a 9 vs 40

Re: M&P compact

9mm ammo is cheaper. Buy the 9 and train more. Shot placement is more important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm ammo is cheaper. Buy the 9 and train more. Shot placement is more important.</div></div>

I agree.

I have the compact 40 but only because I'm issued a full size M&P40. I'm planning on getting a 9mm compact for my own use one of these days.

yup....I agree with the 9mm.....better control in a small gun compared to a 40...shot placement is key and ability to follow up with another on target.....will probably train more with a 9mm compared to a 40

If you shoot the 9mm better, there's no reason to buy a .40. Ammo's cheaper and you can carry more in your gun. That sounds like a winner to me. I've got the compact .40 and if I had to buy it over again I would probably buy a 9mm instead. Just get some good self defense rounds and don't worry about it. I use 147gr Winchester Ranger bonded hollow points in my Glock 17. They perform just as well as the 165 Federal tactical bonded hollow points I carry in my .40. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, just as easy to carry, holds more ammunition, and you shoot it better. The decision looks like it's already made.

i was at the gun shop last week, and spent 5 minutes listening to the guy behind the counter telling a customer how he would be crazy to go with a 9mm over a 40 for self defense. he went on and on how the 9mm doesnt have the stopping power and began comparing 40s&w ammo against the cheapest plinking 9mm ammo around. The fact is the 40s&w was built for self defense and large bulk of ammo out there is specifically geared towards it. High quality 9mm ammo especially in the +p realm will out perform the 40, its typically easier to shoot and unlike the 40 affords you the option of cheap training ammo, and high quality defensive ammo. i too like the other responders would definitly take a few extra rounds in the clip, and more rounds accurately on target anyday.

any opinions on the thumb safety variant?

anyone see anything wrong with 540.00 for a thumb safety model? 12 month free interest its going to be hard to resist

If you like the thumb safety, that's a good price for it. I don't have one on mine. KISS - point it and pull the trigger. If thumb safeties are your thing, go for it. And don't be swayed by the people saying "Don't buy it because it's not a Glock." There are plenty of guns that aren't Glocks that never have problems, and there are plenty of Glocks that have problems. The M&Ps are great guns.

im a 1911 fan, i like the thumb safety's and they are natural to me. i have never felt really safe about dropping my G26 in my shorts pocket because im not use to pistols without safetys

Then pick one up with the thumb safety. $540 is a good deal for one of those. And remember, S&W has a promo going on now where you get two free mags with your new M&P. Just mail it in and you'll get your mags in the mail after a few weeks. Uber handy.

I've got the compact w/ thumb safety. I picked up an inexpensive inside the pants holster(Galco). This particular holster has a tendency to switch the safety off. Not that big of a deal when proper gun handling is employed but something I thought I would mention. Makes it the same as one w/o the safety as far as I'm concerned.
I have only put a few hundred rounds through mine (Federal classic 180gr JHP), but absolutly no problems. I also added Trijicon night sights to mine before ever shooting it. It shoots point of aim with these.
It isn't as quite as quick to field strip as a Glock but still is n't difficult.
A friend has a compact Glock .40. I let him borrow mine so he shoot them side by side. He had no complaints. He did like the ergonomics and the apperance of the M&P better. Enough in fact he's looking to get a full size, albiet in 9MM.

I have gone away from the .40 myself, as most of my handguns are 9mm, and .45ACP. Look at your collection as see how many 9mm's or .40S&W's you have. The peformance of the madern 9mm is just fine. Bullet technology has never been better. I'd lean twards the 9mm for reasons listed above. JPG

With the technology of the 9mm today, you should feel very confident with it. Most shooters can fire faster follow up shots more accurately with the 9mm also. Practice ammo is less expensive too. Shot placement and/or pain compliance will end a bad situation. To answer your question between the two calibers, the 9mm gets my vote.