• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1-C help

Tflhnd1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2003
Sacto, Ca.
I've got an M1-c papered through cmp, though I have been advised it is a greek return. Knowing most C's have all been rebuilt at some point, I know I cant get exact parts but maybe period correct parts. Is there any known source for this or shops that specialize in this restoration? I have an M40A1 in return stock and an M40A3 in a return stock and would like this to complete my collection. Jeff

Need more detail and pictures. Personally, I would leave it alone. It is what it is. The value will spike in the next 10 years.

If you are looking for an original scope and mount, expect to pay $4,000 plus. If you want a reproduction scope and mount I would contact Sarco, Gunparts Corp, or CMP (scope only, but built for use). This combo will run about $650 (a drop in the bucket when compared to the real deal) and would be fine for shooting/display until you can acquire an original rig.

Unless you are very lucky, the upper mount will need to be fit to the lower base.

I would look to ebay and collector forums for the "real deal". Commercial Alaskan scopes can be had for $350 to $500 too (ebay).

I would look for a commercial b prefix scope. Apparently they are only commercial scope that many collectors recognize as transferred to the military for M1C use. Correct me if I am wrong. Plus, they are like the M81 and have a crosshair, not post. I hate the M82 post.

I would change nothing on a CMP M1C. They are refurbed, as most military rifles are, they are correct as the left Greece and CMP. To change them is bubba IMO and they can not be made WW2 original at any price.

If you are going to drop $3k on an original rifle, buy original parts. There are 2 correct mounts presently on fleabay for $2150 each. Too high, but they are out there. Scopes are out there too. I just sold an original M82 for $900. M81s are REAL scarce. Original K-line cheek pads are around $400.

Complete M1c's are valued at around $10k, so if you spend under that, you are ahead of the game.