• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report M1 Garand at 1000 yards

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take the Garand to 1000 yards. I had the come ups from many years ago with a different Garand so I thought I would start there. The "old" come ups was 44 clicks from a 100 yard zero. The Garand that I shot yesterday had a 200 yard zero so I put 40 clicks in it. I figured that low would be better than shooting over the target. The target I used was a repair center with the 44" aiming black which are available at Cheaper than dirt. The ammo I used to get on paper was some 1957 M72 Match 30-06 that I had seated the bullets .020 deeper so as to break the seal. The first 3 rds. were just about where I was aiming. I used a 6 o'clock hold with just a little white between the top of the front sight and the bottom of the target. Yup, I forgot to raise the sights so that the rounds would land in the black. Without changing the sight setting I shot my handloads which were 47.2 grs. IMR 4895 with 175 SMK's. The handloads landed in amongst the M72 hits. I was a happy camper. I gave the sights 3 clicks of elevation & fired 3 rounds of 47.2 grs. IMR 4895. The elevation was right on with (1)x & (2) 10's. The 10's were about as far apart as you could get & still be in the 10 ring. I colored the bullets with a red magic marker on the 47.6 grs. IMR 4064 w/175 SMK's. They were in the same general area but right in the 8 ring. When I pulled the bolt back to clear the weapon the bullet stuck in the rifling & dumped powder in the action. I didn't have a cleaning rod so back in the case it went.
I pulled out the other Garand which is a Springfield Armory of 1955 vintage. Again I used M72 to get on paper. The 1st 3 rounds were on paper. The next 3 rds. were in the black after a sight correction. I did the same test with my handloads of 47.2 grs. IMR 4895 & 175 SMK's & got about the same results. I next sent 3rds. of 46.5 grs. IMR 4064 w/155 SMK's. No Joy. No hits what so ever on a 8'x8' area with paper on it. I went back to another kind of ammo. This time I tried some factory Hornady 168 gr. 30-06. One of their loadings specifically for the M1 Garand. The 1st 3 rds. went into a vertical group of 5.250" with an x, 10 & 9. I am really really happy! When we get back to the firing line I load 5 rds. of the Hornady & shoot those. I have a vertical group about 18" to the right. The 5 shot group measures a hair under 18", all vertical again.
That is the best that this 61 year old can do with GI issue iron sights.

Reactions: cramfarm
I had a very lucky day.
Semper Fi

Maybe, but it started with it occurred to you that it could be done and you were the guy to do it.

There was this slow realization as I read your post that there wasn't a scope on the rifle that was a pretty big grin by the time it was done.

Well done.

Very Very nice. Gives you a warm and fuzzy thinking about how that was done with iron sites and a 30-06!

Nice!

Not easy shooting irons that far. Just did that myself for the 1st time recently w/ my K31. Would like to try w/ my Garand as well.

Wow! Amazing shooting! I would like to try my m1a at 1000 with irons, however, I have no clue where to start? Come-up/clicks? 175 FGMM. Anyone have any 500 to 1000 yard charts for 168 and 175 FGMM in a m1a?

I came up 43 clicks with the Garand sights. Maybe give it a couple more for the shorter barrel & .308.
Semper Fi

Roger that! Thanks 95LTZ. I will give it a try, however, my expectations are that I will not even hit the target!

Good shooting on your part. I say that because I know the Garand is a capable 1000 yard gun. Shot a few 1000 yard matches with a M1 my self a time or two.

I also taught sniper schools using M1C/Ds.

Garands do shoot.

So congrats on your shooting.

amazing shooting, i squeezed off a few rounds in my springfield m1a standard sunday. it always brings a smile to my face. though i was only shootin 4" steel at 100yds open sight. the garand and 1903 are still on my to get list

Thank you for the kind words but I had a lucky day. I will be trying to replicate in the near future.

Tempest,
I have a K31 that is next on the list for some 1000 yard shooting. I will be using GP11. Are you using the issue sights or do you have diopters? I will have to use the diopters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geez, I'd assumed you had NM sights on that rifle. Nice shooting! My M1 is fantastic with the GI sights, but I've been tempted to try NM sights on it, maybe I don't have to.
I can't imagine what you'd do with a match trigger and narrower post/smaller aperture!

Thank you for the kind words but I had a lucky day. I will be trying to replicate in the near future.

Tempest,
I have a K31 that is next on the list for some 1000 yard shooting. I will be using GP11. Are you using the issue sights or do you have diopters? I will have to use the diopters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Took my K-31 with GP-11 ammo on a 30" gong at 1035 yards. Standard sights. Took a few-maybe four-rounds to get on, got several good hits in a row. Elevation marks are quite accurate for that.

Cheers,
Tim
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed

While I have yet to apply my M1 at 1000yd and will probably never, given my current age; I have high confidence in its ability to shoot well all the way out there. My Garand is not N/M eligible, with mods including an extended butt pad, glass bedding, and a globe front sight with a ring aperture insert. This front sight allows for better sight picture resolution and may also have some benefit under transient light conditions, since a 6 O'clock hold is not involved. If I ever had to die with a rifle in my hands, I'd prefer it to be this one.

Greg

Last edited:
Reading this thread was a good way to start my morning! While I have not dabbled in vintage rifles (at least, not yet!), I can definitely appreciate the skill behind shooing like this, and also the history and craftsmanship behind such a fine rifle as the Garand. Good shooting sir!

Thanks for the kind words. I had a huge amount of luck sprinkled on me that day for sure Soon I plan to try it again. With the Garand & a Swiss K31 7.5x55. At the last gunshow I picked up a Swedish Mauser CG M96 1916 with Lyman sights in 6.5x55. After I got it home & did a bore scope inspection I am really encouraged by the condition of the bore. About .125 of fire cracking about .250" of radial tool marks & from then on out an extremely nice non pitted bore. I hope to pick up dies, components & surplus ammo Wednesday. I am eager to see what it will do. Should prove to be an interesting day.
I'll post the results when I have them.

Tempest,

I used the original sights. Also keep in mind GP11 (although awesome factory ammo) is probably is probably not the best for 1,000 yard shooting. Does not have enough velocity to stay supersonic to 1,000. I've done it but I bet accuracy would be much better w/ a good handload and a 175g SMK.

Last edited:
My NRA reprint The M1 Rifle lists many loads for the Garand, and I use them straight out of the book with Remington .30-'06 brass.

147/150gr bullets
50.0gr IMR-4064
49.0gr IMR-4895

165/168gr bullets
48.0gr IMR-4064
47.0gr IMR-4895

173/175gr bullets
47.0gr IMR-4064
46.0gr IMR-4895

180gr bullets
43.0gr IMR-4895

I use 150SMKs and 155 Palmas with the first loads, and my 175gr bullet is the 175SMK.

Greg

I have not touched the Garand except to clean it since the 1000 yard shooting. I took it to the range last Tuesday to fire it at 100 yards to see how high it hit @ 100 yards with the 1000 yard zero. The shot was 44" high @ 100 yards using the same Hornady 168 gr. AMAX M1 Garand ammo. I will use this as a starting place for my other military rifles in the near future.
The next step is to Chronograph this load to see how it stacks up & have the info to try & duplicate it.

You'll find that 44 inches is pretty standard. +/- depending on conditions. 43-46. Odd thing is its about the same on my Garand, M1917, M1903a3, & M1903A4.

And its pretty close to my M1A and the M14s I used when I shot for the Guard. It fluctuates a tad one way or the other depending on conditions and ammo. Don't recall exactly but if I remember right, shooting my Garand at 1000 at Ft Lewis was two clicks more then at 29 Palms.

If zero your rife at 100 yards, and set the elevation dial on 100, then count up to the 1000 yard mark on the dial, you'll find its 46 clicks.

Use the corresponding marks on the dial for each yard line and you'll find you're pretty close for just about all ammo fit for the Garand.

The main thing I recommend to any Garand shooter is to get a copy of Hatcher's "BOOK OF THE GARAND". You'll get all the information you could possibly want about the Garand from its history, the maintenance, shooting both in competition and combat. There is also a good trouble shooting guild.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Alabama, you should run down to the CMP South Store and pick up some M2 Ball, $98 per 200 rounds, you cant reload for that. It shoots pretty good in service grade rifles. Plus it makes good practice for offhand (which is what gets most Garand shooters).

It works good at 600 yards in my 'A4. Practicing at 100 yards not many can tell the difference between it and the A-Max.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I have a comfortable supply of the Greek HXP ammo that is used for the 200 yard Matches & practice. My normal load that I use for 1000 yard shooting with the Garand is a 175 SMK & 47.2 grs. IMR 4895. I am planning on doing a shoot off between the HXP, Hornady 168 AMAX factory ammo. Lastly I am going to also try some Black Hills 168 gr Garand ammo.
Semper Fi

Thanks for the information. I have a comfortable supply of the Greek HXP ammo that is used for the 200 yard Matches & practice. My normal load that I use for 1000 yard shooting with the Garand is a 175 SMK & 47.2 grs. IMR 4895. I am planning on doing a shoot off between the HXP, Hornady 168 AMAX factory ammo. Lastly I am going to also try some Black Hills 168 gr Garand ammo.
Semper Fi

If you can, please update us on what you learn firing those different ammo offerings. Interested to hear how the HXP does. Sometimes that stuff surprises me and shoots much better than I think it should.

Is that a CMP Garand? If so, what grade? Can you give us some specs on the rifle? I'm currently rebuilding my garand