• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand info

jetmd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2010
Smithville, MO
First I am sorry if this question is not proper for this section of the forum.

I have an M1 Garand that I would like to obtain an appraisal for the purpose of selling said rifle.

I contacted the Garand collectors assoc. with no luck.

I would prefer to have someone local to me accomplish the task, anyone got a connection in the Kansas City area/Western Missouri/Eastern Kansas area you can suggest?

Thanks for your help,

Chet

Re: M1 Garand info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I am sorry if this question is not proper for this section of the forum.

I have an M1 Garand that I would like to obtain an appraisal for the purpose of selling said rifle.

I contacted the Garand collectors assoc. with no luck.

I would prefer to have someone local to me accomplish the task, anyone got a connection in the Kansas City area/Western Missouri/Eastern Kansas area you can suggest?

Thanks for your help,

Chet </div></div>

Chet,

Here is the link to the CMP grading on M1 Garands, it should give you some ideas where yours might fit in. I am not suggesting that the CMP pricing is the ultimate authority on the value of these rifles, just a starting point for you. Most pieces I've seen sold by individuals are priced higher than CMP's.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I will attempt to post some pictures this weekend.
I just want to insure that the buyer of this rifle gets a nice rifle for fair market value no more, no less. And in the course of the sale I describe it as accurately as possible.

Will work on pictures.

Gentlemen,

Sorry for the long delay. Here is a link to a online photo album with picture (Chet's M1 Garan)

http://my.att.net/p/PWP-thebiggun

I am heading to the rack. I will check back tomorrow to answer questions and post more pictures as I am sure you will need some specific ones to help me on this.

Thanks!

Chet

One picture? Don't mess with this guy he is asking a straight up question.

The one photo just shows a heavily worked stock limiting the stocks collector value but the rest of the rifle could prove to be something.

But I will go $300,,,LOL.

Theres more pics ,click on the photo album to the right of the picture.

Click on where it says photo albums there are 19 pictures.

It is a WWII Receiver with a post war barrel,most of the parts appear to be Springfield Armory. The correct trigger guard should be the milled type for the WWII receiver. The rear sights are a complete National match base,windage knob and aperture . The rear NM sight complete base is probably worth $200 alone if you were to swap them out and sell them seperate.

I don't like the looks of the rear part of the Receiver it looks like it had been heated up for some reason.

I have seen ratty looking Garands sell for $500-$600

I think you should have no problem getting $1000-$1200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like the looks of the rear part of the Receiver it looks like it had been heated up for some reason.</div></div>

The rear of the receiver was lead annealed during manufacture, that`s how they look after annealing.

MAGUA, You are correct Sir. I have owned this rifle for 22 years. And originally received it from the DCM, which I have ALL supporting documents. The trigger guard as rec'd was milled. It was replaced due to issues during strings of HP rapid fire, as was the original rear sight.
Both of these were accomplished by Rudy Wadekamper when I lived in MN and shot HP with him. God rest the sole of a GREAT HP shooter and person!!
The color of the receiver is as rec'd from the DCM in 1990.
The stock was stripped with Hornsby furniture cleaner and a coat of clear poly was applied over the natural wood.

Back later.

Good Day gentlemen.

Chet

Annealing the receivers was done to make the heel able to withstand firing grenades. Apparently some cracked before this fix was done/changes were made in new production. Perhaps the reason grenadiers usually carried a 1903A3 instead of a Garand.

I saw a crappy looking one for sale locally yesterday and it had an $1100 price tag on it. My one criticism of yours is the stock. If I was trying to sell it I'd strip it again and apply a coat of gunny's paste. (Made with 1 part each bees wax, true tung oil and turpentine). Or there are other finishes that will work...just not BLO...and, no offense, not poly.

IMO, a proper Garand stock should look like this:

garand_stock.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Annealing the receivers was done to make the heel able to withstand firing grenades. Apparently some cracked before this fix was done/changes were made in new production. Perhaps the reason grenadiers usually carried a 1903A3 instead of a Garand. </div></div>

Annealing receivers because of firing Grenades is a internet myth that keeps getting repeated
The truth is there were bad lots of steel and the recievers where to brittle . Instead of scraping them they were dipped into molten lead to soften the steel so they would not crack under normal firing conditions.

Azimutha I am OK with criticism, and it take alot for me to get offended so....all help is appreciated.
If the next owner wants to strip and refinish he can have at it, just not gonna be me
grin.gif

If more pictures or details need answerd for a good estimate for price just let me know what I can do.

Thanks for the help!

Chet

Take it to Badger Ordnance, 1209 Swift ST. in North Kansas City, Marty the Owner is a huge Garand collector and can tell you the aprox value and just about any thing you want to know about it. He might even be interested in it.

His Phone # is (816) 421-4956

Thanks for the info George, I didn't know Marty was interested in the old iron. It will be worth the 15 minute trip from my house to stop down and see him!

Thanks again,

Chet

What ever you do don't give it away. $800 to $1100 is your market.
063d2f0b.jpg

M1 Garands are one of the best rifles ever made! I just picked up a International Harvester Garand about 3 weeks ago for cheap all IHC parts but Op rod and front sight, DCM rifle from 1990. 200 yards 2moa.

Nervous