• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand Schuster adjustable gas plug

Im2bent

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jun 30, 2020
    Yeah or nay? Is it worth doing this to run heavy's / higher velocities for banging steel at 600 or fuck it just load to "m1 garand" specs with a good 150/155 bullet and call it a day?

I have one. I got it to avoid damaging my rifle accidentally. I shoot plenty of 168 gr and 175 gr loads. This gives me piece of mind. I would avoid using anything heavier. Can you? Yes. But the benefits dont outweigh the risk. For me.

Reactions: Im2bent
    They aren't really needed since the rifle isn't as fragile as the Internet leads you to believe.

Your biggest concern should be is the rifle properly greased and the oprod spring is at least 19.5" long.

Other than that load shoot ping .. repeat.

Fyi there are no garand specs for ammo.

Do you have a GI barrel or is this something bedded, match conditioned with a custom barrel.

If it’s the latter and you are going to Camp Perry than maybe loading beyond standard makes sense but even in those places most run mild loads because they are more accurate.

If you are just banging steel through iron sights the way God intended and your rifle is GI than FGMM 168 is suitable and the GI spec of your parts will not be capable of the accuracy inherent in your ammo but you will be ringing the steel plates just fine and not harming anything.

Seems that burn rate of the powder and where it developed it’s velocity matter more than bullet weight. Stay within the typical powders.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Im2bent
    I have one and the jury is still out on it. My M-1 runs nothing heavier than 168 SMK. Currently running through a lot of 150 grain ball ammo that I got through the CMP many years ago.

When I purchased the gas plug, the goal was to get the brass to land consistently in a nice little pile so I wouldn't have to walk all over the range to find the casings.

Does it put in a nice little pile? No but the casings aren't as spread out as they use to be.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keith E.
    Do you have a GI barrel or is this something bedded, match conditioned with a custom barrel.

If it’s the latter and you are going to Camp Perry than maybe loading beyond standard makes sense but even in those places most run mild loads because they are more accurate.

If you are just banging steel through iron sights the way God intended and your rifle is GI than FGMM 168 is suitable and the GI spec of your parts will not be capable of the accuracy inherent in your ammo but you will be ringing the steel plates just fine and not harming anything.

Seems that burn rate of the powder and where it developed it’s velocity matter more than bullet weight. Stay within the typical powders.
    It's as it came from the cmp. No Camp Perry for me so yeah I think I will abstain from the modded gas plugs.

They aren't really needed since the rifle isn't as fragile as the Internet leads you to believe.

Your biggest concern should be is the rifle properly greased and the oprod spring is at least 19.5" long.

Other than that load shoot ping .. repeat.

Fyi there are no garand specs for ammo.
    There's a lot of discussion about bent op rods and using ammo that is specifically for the garand which is why I'm asking.

1701568951166.png

If you shoot that PPU Garand ammo you will be fine.

I've seen older Garand guys claim the 150 flat base bullets are inherently accuate for 200 yard work. Don't really get that as it's x MOA at one distance it should be x MOA at another.

I shoot nosler 168s through mine with 4064 or 4895 for powder. I think I'm in the 46 grain range.

Uncle Sam accepted the rifle if it shot 4 MOA, most M2 will do that.

CMP had some millions of rounds returned recently. Last I looked though it was a bit spendy.

Let's see pics of the beast!

If you shoot that PPU Garand ammo you will be fine.

I've seen older Garand guys claim the 150 flat base bullets are inherently accuate for 200 yard work. Don't really get that as it's x MOA at one distance it should be x MOA at another.

I shoot nosler 168s through mine with 4064 or 4895 for powder. I think I'm in the 46 grain range.

Uncle Sam accepted the rifle if it shot 4 MOA, most M2 will do that.

CMP had some millions of rounds returned recently. Last I looked though it was a bit spendy.

Let's see pics of the beast!
    I have it apart putting tung oil on the stock. It is in like new condition. 6 mil serial number. Muzzle wear gauge barely goes to 0.5. Not sure if thet actually means anything . The stock is perfect. Will get some pics up when she is back together. I pretty much reload for everything so no retail ammo for this. I was looking up reloading data when I ran into the ammo controversy and wanted to not cause any damage. Was thinking 155 SMK but if the 168 are safe I'll go that route.

6 mil should be practically new. Last ones off the line. Pretty sure Kennedy was given a six mil.

Fresh oil on the stock will remove any grime that may have accumulated. Don’t use any abrasive other than skin ridges and friction.

Muzzle wear readings matter, tighter the better but even brand new barrels come out gauging more than zero - never understood that. .5 is probably brand new. Is it a Criterion or GI?

155 SMK may not be a bad idea and if you push them they may be better than 168 at real distance.

6 mil should be practically new. Last ones off the line. Pretty sure Kennedy was given a six mil.

Fresh oil on the stock will remove any grime that may have accumulated. Don’t use any abrasive other than skin ridges and friction.

Muzzle wear readings matter, tighter the better but even brand new barrels come out gauging more than zero - never understood that. .5 is probably brand new. Is it a Criterion or GI?

155 SMK may not be a bad idea and if you push them they may be better than 168 at real distance.
    GI . Then I'll go with the 155s. Been watching garand videos to make sure I don't do something stupid.

That rifle is a beast, not as fragile as people would have anyone believe.

They went to a couple wars.

Sounds like you got a nice one. Some of the Philippine returns looked pretty wore out.

I had a Schuster but didn't want to worry about adjusting between ammo. Was going to go back to original when I found this (just prior to seeing the articles mentioned. Oh well, I've spent 40 bucks on worse things.)