• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 - SOCOM 16 - SCOUT SQUAD What's your best group

tevamonster

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2011
East Coast
Alright Springfield fans, need your assistance. For each of the questions below please assume stock weapons or those with minimal work (ie. no glass bedding, etc.). Also, bear in mind that I'll be in the gun-loving state of California which means no flash suppressors...just muzzle breaks (hence the SOCOM 16). Please don't respond with shot groups from the Scout Squad & Standard M1A if they didn't have a CA-legal muzzle brake. Please also tell what you used to get a good group (ammo, scope, etc.). Thank you for your time and assistance.

1. What is the best group you've been able to shoot at 500 yards or better with the Springfield SOCOM 16?

2. What is the best shot group you've had with the Squad Scout at 500 yards or better (with a CA-legal muzzle break)?

3. What is the best shot group you've had with the Standard M1A to 1,000 yards (with a CA-legal muzzle break)?

Re: M1 - SOCOM 16 - SCOUT SQUAD What's your best group

The best I can do for you is a socom 16 with an aim point m3. Shooting a metal 12" dia. swing plate at 350yds . From a bench and my girlfriend shooting it 20 rds 20 hits. In fact even funny-er their was a guy shooting a ruger #1v in 22-250 with a nice scope shooting at it . He would shoot and miss and she would shoot and hit it .

I have a SOCOM 16, but the farthest I have shot has been 300 yards on paper. I was shooting off a bench with front and rear bags and got 7"-8" 10 shot groups consistantly with iron sights. I was using handloads 168 SMK's over 42gr of Varget in Win brass. At 100 yards I get about 1.5"-2" groups. Mine is in a USGI Walnut, and all I have done to it was a Sadlak spring guide and TiN piston. Its not exactly a precision rifle to start with.

socom002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tevamonster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. What is the best group you've been able to shoot at 500 yards or better with the Springfield SOCOM 16? </div></div>

A friend's stock Socom... I felt lucky hitting the ground at 500 yards. That's pushing the maximum effective range and took 10 shots to hit a 18X24 steel plate with some BHG 168gr. ammo. The Socom I shot was much more at home with 300 yard shots able to make a hit with every shot on a 12" round plate.

I will note that the owner had the factory XS sights installed which is like using your thumb to aim at a hair across the room. He's since changed to a standard rear sight and NM front sight and some other upgrades which seem to have helped quite a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tevamonster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. What is the best shot group you've had with the Squad Scout at 500 yards or better (with a CA-legal muzzle break)? </div></div>

Another friend's bone stock Scout... 500 yard steel plates of various sizes weren't a problem, neither were 600 yard plates. Same ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tevamonster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3. What is the best shot group you've had with the Standard M1A to 1,000 yards (with a CA-legal muzzle break)? </div></div>

I don't think you could call it a group, maybe suppressive fire. "Standard M1A" and "1000 yards" don't go together too well has been my experience. Not saying it's impossible, but you're better off with a tuned match M1A if you want a "group". Ammo was BHG 175gr.

All of this is specific to the rifles I've shot and shouldn't be considered a generalization for accuracy. Some M1A's (all variations) can shoot and some can't, just the way of it.

All rifles had brakes since I'm also in CA...

Thank you all. This has been good feed-back...and somewhat humorous (girlfriend on the SOCOM16). Since I want to hit a 10" disc at 500yds and keep the rifle as short as possible I think the Scout Squad answers the mail. Thank you for your assistance.

I estimate that I get about 2-3 inch groups out of my SOCOM 16 at 100 yards. The reason for not giving a precise measurement is that I have never measured the groups, nor have I sought after national match parts, nor have I loaded ammo specifically for this rifle. I bought this rifle for reasons other than getting good groups. It is an excellent rifle for self defense and most likely would never be used past 50 yards if I had to use it in such a scenario. I know that I can hit a 3 inch target out to 100 yards and that meets my standards.

I have two 22 inchers. Mine is a standard and my wife's is the loaded with Med wieght bbl. Mine has the FH and hers has the CA break. At 100 I can easily get 2in groups with almost all ammo. I was getting 1.5in groups with Prvi 168hps. I highly suggest the Sadlak Op Rod guide. It replaces the flat factory piece. It's a solid chunk of steel milled so there isn't wobble of the operating rod.

I only have experience with the Springfield Scout. I have fired mine out to 600 (with irons). 16x16" steel plate with 14 hits out of a 20 round magazine. That was before I mounted the scope. I used a Sadlak mount and Leupold Mk4 rings and optic. I also upgraded the op rod to the Sadlak part, as well as the Sadlak extended mag release. I built an adjustable cheek piece for proper cheek weld and eye relief. So far, it has been shooting about 1.5" at 100 with some groups going Sub MOA. I have not tried tuning the load for the rifle yet. (It is a duty rifle, and our policy just changed, requiring an AR pattern rifle. SO, it is for sale if you are still looking for one). Send me a message.

NoExpert,
That's a nice setup in your signature there.

I was thinking about getting a Troy Ind. stock for mine but after seeing that I'm considering going that direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NoExpert,
That's a nice setup in your signature there.

I was thinking about getting a Troy Ind. stock for mine but after seeing that I'm considering going that direction.
</div></div>

I actually just changed over to a Sage Mod 1...

0123011816.jpg

Still under construction, probably won't be up and running for a few weeks and even at that won't have the new scope for a while...

Main reason for the change was to shave weight, a 20 pound rifle is no fun on a long hike. I'm trying to get it down to 15 pounds... we'll have to wait to see if I succeed.