• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M118LR ammo question

Shakeber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
I have a bunch of '08 and '09 LC once fired brass that I am planning on using. I will have to swedge the primer pockets as part of the process. I have a recipe to replicate the M118LR ammo (43.1 gr. of RE15, using 175 gk, etc.). My question: I read that actual M118 primers are not crimped, is this true? I was told that the brass that I have came from this ammo. Maybe it was M118 special ball. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Re: M118LR ammo question

Does the brass have LC LR in the headstamp? If so, it's not primer crimped.

No the brass does not have LR. Thanks.

The brass is most likely just M80 ball brass. If I'm not mistaken Lake City stopped making M118 Special Ball in the early 90's. This brass was a standard LC crimped 7.62 case loaded with a 173 gr FMJ "Match" bullet.

I would be careful about the brass as if it's M80 ball it most likely was fired out of a M240 MG and could have a stretched and have internal flaws resulting in early case failure.

There are a lot better options out there than LC brass. Pretty much anything (Rem, Win, Fed etc.) Probably safer as well, especially if it's once fired brass you're playing with.

-SBS

Not to thread jack, but where do you buy once fired "M118LR" brass?

Thanks

Jason

This was fired on a training field where the border patrol agents and our military shoot. I have a box of live ammo and it is definitely M118 but not LR. It is not fired out of auto weapons.

Tun_x said:
Not to thread jack, but where do you buy once fired "M118LR" brass?

i got some from gibrass.com

I'm not familiar with M118LR but, I'm very familiar with M118 match.

The LC match brass and normal LC brass are the exact same dimensions. The match brass does not have a crimp and, it is annealed at LC.... the other LC is not annealed and is crimped. I don't know about LR.

I've never seen LR not marked. Since you know it was not machine gun fired it should be ok for your load. The LC brasses, Match, LR and just marked LC are made on the same equipment but marked to be able to tell what they are. Match said Match and had a marked line on the body. LR is 175 SMK and stamped LR.

I think the last batch of "MATCH" headstamp was 1993. After that the "LR" came out with 175's and was used for both. I'm not sure of the first year.

Here's some pic's of unfired 07 LC LR Ammo, the primers are not crimped but sealed along with the bullet in the case mouth. The sealer for the bullet is dark and sticky if you pull a bullet but pretty much burns off when fired.
m118lr.jpg

m118lrtop.jpg

looks like the LR stuff is annealed too so, I'd suspect that the LR brass is identical to the M118 or M852 match brass.

Yep, it's annealed, can't say for sure but I think it's the same as the match brass also. I just weighed a LC LR case mfg. in 04 against a 168 LC Match case mfg. 88 both resized and trimmed. They were within .2 gr. of each other and case powder capacity was within .2 gr also with RL 15 powder. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses, all. I will post pics of the boxed ammo that I have. It will be early next week as I am currently out of town.

Does anyone know the actual oal of the LR m118 ammo,the military uses,and how much powder is used,

mwhite, it is 43.1 grs. of Reloader 15. I think the c.o.a.l. is 2.81".

Military issue M118LR LC-O1K270-012 Sublot D

OAL - 2.810
Measurement to ogive - 2.235