• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing m118LR issues with bolt gun

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
Gents,

figured I would ask the gunsmithing side for advice :)

The gun in question is a custom made 308 with a trued remmy 700. It shoots match ammo just fine with no issues. The problem with m118lr is that it is hard to seat the bullet into the chamber; have to use a little more oomph to close the latch. What needs to be done for the action to seat a 118lr properly and will that procedure affect how it shoots civilian match grade ammo?

Thanks fellas.

Very respectfully,

James

You more then likely have a tight neck chamber or possibly a short throat. A tactical match reamer would probably be more usable with 118lr. A throating reamer could possibly be used to open it up if the throat is short. Measure the fired brass neck diameter after firing and compare it to your unfired case. Also if possible pull one back out of the chamber and check for rifling marks on the bullet. That's where I would start.

Last edited:
The LC LR is pretty heavy duty stuff. Also measure your neck thickness and compare to your "match" ammo's neck.

Thanks fellas! That's the process in which we are going through but I was mainly curious before we do the actual job if it would throw off accuracy or degrade it in any means. The reason I ask is because I want to train on the 118LR since I have it available and for match purposes will use match ammo. Of course will dope both accordingly :)

I have this problem as well. I have to seat my 118lr a couple of thousandths lower to make it work without hard chambering, IE: jamming into the lands. I think that's what your experiencing. I prefer just not to shoot that stuff. There is much better ammo out there. I would not change a rifle that shoots for it unless you really need to.

Sounds like your match throat is for 168s and not 175s. A competent gunsmith can check and fix it with a finishing reamer for 175s.