M16 FCG legality

AMGtuned

Just white trash with money.....
PX Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
Is it legal to own spare parts for a m16? I know there’s some other owners around here
It's not just the lower. You don't need a lower with a hole in it, to go to prison.

The trigger is different: it is channeled all the way through the back. 15 is not. This is for,
The disconnecter is different: it is longer, and engages with the safety. Slides through the channel in the trigger.
Safety: obviously different, has another set of notches in it.
BCG: different, but almost all are the same now. 15 has the bottom relieved so it will not contact a DIAS.

All of these parts together, obviously constitute a MG. Just having the trigger and BCG? Probably ok. But I wouldn't have the safety if I had the other pieces. I would never even come in contact with a sear.
But then there's those "good faith" cases from wayyyyyy back; where some citizens were allowed to keep some of the fancy parts, so long as they NEVER owned a compatible firearm. I have a couple good write ups on the topic somewhere. Ill try and dig them up

camocorvette

Sergeant
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Minnesota
In the 90's and earlier its my understanding they were plentiful or at least available if thats what you wanted for parts from any seller that had them.
2000's they were all over and still really no way of tracking them. Well now I'm sure anything is out-of stock and tracked.
Third pin holes are definitely no-go with out registration and payment..
As for the guts I think just the sear. The rest wasn't to my beliefs. Now I'm sure the parts for burst and auto are heavly scrutinized.
No. The bcg is not illegal. Doesn't matter.
A portion of new colt style lowers don't have the lower shelf machined out. Pretty sure thats a must and has nothing to do with legality.

AMGtuned

PX Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
To anyone replying: the correct FCG parts alone, with make your weapon illegal. Yes, the DIAS is a no-no. But that only makes the system function properly. The trigger/disconnecter/safety selector alone will make a weapon into a not only illegal, but extremely unsafe, NFA weapon.

And for the record: m16 fcg parts are sold legally at many places to this day. Preppers Discount even sells a jig and material, if one were an SOT, to REPAIR a DIAS.

Reactions: camocorvette

clcustom1911

"Cartman 1-2, come in" aka Sugar Buns
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2017
    Texas Hill Country
    You gotta love the contradiction on its face:

So, obviously a plain Jane ar15 lower cannot accept full auto FCG parts and thus cannot be a machine gun without modification and parts installed per the letter.

Later it says if you have a registered full auto lower and an extra parts kit and a ar15, you have two machine guns. Wtf

Then says if you own an ar15 we don't recommend you own the parts.

Thats the stupidest shit I've ever read. If they were serious, they would say "if you own an AR15 and the parts one would be in violation of xxx law." Fucking ATF and their nebulous interpretations and nom-committal answers.

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    @clcustom1911 i do appreciate your research. However, regardless to what any publication says, i will heed to advice once given to me. "The ATF does not care about you, and your Form 1(2,3,4,etc), until they do." I mention that, simply because, it is 100% possible to drop 16 fcg parts in to a 15. Its the shelf for the DIAS, or the colt pin hole, that are not machined. As I stated before, I personally would not own any combination of the parts.

And yes, I agree, typical alphabet nonsense. Never stating clear intent. (Like what I did there.....INTENT.....their favorite law, ummm, word)

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    Tried posting the screen shots from my magazine archives. Would not upload. This site has been slow as death on crutches for the last few days.

Recoil issue #43, display until 8/1/19, page 110. Titled "Going fast"

Daddyusmaximus

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2020
    Use to be these parts were easy to find. They could be bought at any place selling replacement parts, or even ordered from shops advertising out of the shotgun news. At that time they were just parts, and I don't remember anyone raising a stink about them. Then the various gov agencies started putting out their dictates, and it became know that the mere possession of these parts, even if never installed was the possession of, or "Intent" of creating an unregistered machine gun, and almost everyone except those who don't fear federal prison got scared off from going out, and getting them. Including me. I wanted to get the whole set, but got scared off by the thought of getting caught with them. Good thing too... I'm still a free man. Haven't done anything wrong, so they can't touch me.

Well, sort of.

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    You gotta love the contradiction on its face:

So, obviously a plain Jane ar15 lower cannot accept full auto FCG parts and thus cannot be a machine gun without modification and parts installed per the letter.

Later it says if you have a registered full auto lower and an extra parts kit and a ar15, you have two machine guns. Wtf

Then says if you own an ar15 we don't recommend you own the parts.

Thats the stupidest shit I've ever read. If they were serious, they would say "if you own an AR15 and the parts one would be in violation of xxx law." Fucking ATF and their nebulous interpretations and nom-committal answers.
    Aren't you in country right now? A quick look at the parts of your work weapon, during your next cleaning, will clear up a lot of what works and doesn't.

I'm not trying to be condescending, or imply in the least, that you are uneducated. (Not everyone knows about them Louboutin's 😉👍)

• Haha
    Reactions: clcustom1911

clcustom1911

"Cartman 1-2, come in" aka Sugar Buns
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2017
    Texas Hill Country
    Aren't you in country right now? A quick look at the parts of your work weapon, during your next cleaning, will clear up a lot of what works and doesn't.

I'm not trying to be condescending, or imply in the least, that you are uneducated. (Not everyone knows about them Louboutin's 😉👍)
    I'm lookin at my 14.5" M4a1 fcg right now. You definitely need the FCG pocket milled to full depth much more to the rear for the finger on the auto sear to have room to contact the selector cam.

Yes the trigger, probably disconnector (the tail is longer), and hammer will drop into a standard ar15 pocket, but definitely not the auto sear. Oh, and there be a H1 buffer up in there too.

No pew. Pew. Pewpewpewpewpewpewwwww

Were getting Mk18 urg's next week, so I'm curious to see if there's gonna be anything switched other than upper swappy swap.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AMGtuned

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    But the safety, trigger, hammer, and disconnecter, will all drop in a 15. The safety having the cutout, will allow the disconnecter to be depressed, allowing the hammer to chase the bcg into battery. Pewpewpewpew OOB discharge

TonyTheTiger

Like a Boss
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2017
    Haven't done anything wrong, so they can't touch me.
    You know the agency being discussed is the same one that will line up all your BB guns and single shot shotguns for a photo op while they congratulate each other on taking your 'dangerous arsenal off the streets' right?
    Because when they decide to come get you you're already guilty regardless of what they find.

Daddyusmaximus

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2020
    You know the agency being discussed is the same one that will line up all your BB guns and single shot shotguns for a photo op while they congratulate each other on taking your 'dangerous arsenal off the streets' right?
    Because when they decide to come get you you're already guilty regardless of what they find.
    That's why the "well, sort of"... They come in a a big team, with armored vehicles, in the middle of the night when you're dead asleep, and they control the media. STILL... when they get here, I ain't gonna have any "undocumented" machineguns for them to line up beside my bb guns.

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    Lots bad information in this thread. I'd suggest more research gentlemen. Start with with the gun laws for the state you live in. The original question was "
    State by state gun laws have nothing to do with possessing unregistered MG parts. I think its all been covered pretty well here, actually 🤔 I'd also wager a guess, that the OP could draw a conclusion to his inquiry.

mmcguckin1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Minuteman
    Apr 16, 2020
    Michigan
    State by state gun laws have nothing to do with possessing unregistered MG parts. I think its all been covered pretty well here, actually 🤔 I'd also wager a guess, that the OP could draw a conclusion to his inquiry.
    They absolutely have a lot to do with it. The FCG does not make a machine gun until you drill the 3rd hole. In Michigan and many others you can own the complete FCG, including the sear, they are just parts. You can not prove intent, they are just parts. There is nothing to register, the minute you drill the 3rd hole in a receiver you just made a machine gun even if you do not own the FCG to go in it. I'm guessing in Maine that is not the case, just like all the liberal states bordering NY.

RUTGERS95

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 2, 2009
    yardley PA
    so the bcg is all over America and most everyone owns one (full auto) but then if someone had the trigger and disconnector then what? you would still need the safety selector and the lower. I don't see how that could be a problem.

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    I covered, early on, that CERTAIN combinations of said components, may be legal for possession. Hell, the whole kit and caboodle is probably legit; IF you do not own an AR pattern weapon they could be used in.

And again, if you are in possession of a DIAS, or a lightning link, or anything like that, IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE A HOLE IN YOUR RECEIVER. For those, my friends, are machine guns in themselves. No different than one (1) singular, DRILLED, suppressor baffle.