• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1903A4 Remington 1943

JvanL

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2012
Florida
I have a M1903a4 Remington in fine condition with the original M84 scope and mount attached. The Scope is missing the top elevation knob cover. The only problem I have with this piece is the "C" stock was cut off just forward of the barrel band retainer. I was told this was a standard proctice to cut off the forward end of the stock to create a smaller profile of the barrel end of the rifle and to eliminate the front band and bayonet lug. Have any of you heard or seen this type of field modification?
2cdijvs.jpg
[/img]
33djd6s.jpg
[/img]
iyms0o.jpg
[/img]

Re: M1903A4 Remington 1943

I've seen pictures of what was called the "Bushmaster Carbine" - essentially a 1903 with a cut down stock and the barrel shortened to 18"...a kind of Yank version of the No5 Jungle carbine
wink.gif

They were converted by the US Army Panama Canal Dept in early '42. 4,725 of these were made with a very wide spread of serial numbers. Only ever seen it mentioned in Canfield's book " Guide to the'03 Springfield Service Rifle" and on p82 of Brophy's book.

Canfield says do NOT pay a premium for one unless it has indisputable provenance!!!

Is this the rifle you mean?

Never seen a pic of a scoped one though.....

Pics?

Thank you for the information BarsaBoy. I tried to attach pictures, but not certain they will upload.

Your rifle looks to have been sporterized after the War. Not something that would have been modified in the field. Sending you a PM...

It looks to be a legit 03A4, but with the stock cut like that the originality can not be regained.

I have seen several rifles like this and generally it was done so the rifle could be brought home from the war. It was refered to as a "duffle bag cut," and was pretty common on Mausers and Jap rifles. This particuliar rifle looks like it was rebuilt after WWII as the normally blued parts are now parkerized. The rifle also looks to have a Lyman scope base instead of the ususal Redfield base. I would have to see the SN to know if the barrel matched the receiver. Are ther any markings on the stock? That stock could be repaired if you found a good 1903a3 donor stock.

XARMOR... Thanks for the "Duffle Bag" input. That seems very plausable. The Serial number is 3,411,xxx. I will take the stock off and look for barrel markings. I know very little about 03s and even less about 03A4s.
In the US Army, I was a depot-level small arms repairman/inspector. I have a C&R and specialize in M1911s.
Thanks Again - JvanL

Duffle bag cut. Had it been done in the field, the bbl would have been shortened too. No reason to cut down the stock and leave the bbl sticking out there.

Still an A4, and thats always cool. Scope can probably be repaired and you can find a replacement stock, just not easy.

I think XARMOR meant actually on the stock, Not under it. The barrels on A4's were not special or "match-grade" barrels. The markings on the barrel will be the same as any 03A3. The marks on the stock will indicate rebuild if there are more than the standard "RA", "Crossed Cannons" and "FJA". Oh, and just a "P" under the wrist.

Sorry for the confusion, the action and barrel were removed from the stock and the stock was cut down because it would not fit in the duffle bag. The action fit fine once removed from the stock. May or may not be this type of cut. I will say that it was not really normal for the handguard to be cut also. Oneshot is correct on the markings for the stock and barrel. A4's used pretty much the same barrel as the 03a3 except the area around the front sight was machined down on the A4 and 99% of the time ther is a punch mark on the bottom of the barrel directly under the front sight. On the stock I would also look for a big stamp that is "AA" "AAA" "BA" or other Arsenal cartouches, this would indicate a trip through the depot after WW2. Nice rifle BTW.

Notice the sight lip is machined down right above the "RA"
IMG_0307.jpg

Not the best pic but punch is there about 1" from end of barrel.
IMG_0308.jpg

Wow ... Good information. I will check for additional markings when I return home. I do recall the left side of the shock marked with "FJA" and I believe "RA".
Thank you !!

FJA is "Frank J, Atwood" he was the inspector during this time and RA is "Remington Arms". Both are correct for this rifle. Remington started marking all of their parts in early 1943 to distinguish them from the Smith Corona parts.

XARMOR...FJA.. I've seen that on M1911a1s. It would be nice to find an uncut stock, I will check MilSurp
The nice thing about this A4 is the screws in the rifle and scope mount appear unturned. (Don't ya hate it when folks butcher screwheads?)

The Bushmaster 03s from the Canal Zone supposedly were never returned to the States but were supposed dumped into the ocean at the end of the war. I don't think one real one has ever been documented post war.