• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M1A...any good for medium/ lomg range shooting?

Tuckerp229

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
Minnesota, USA
Greetings,

Rough day at the range.
What kind of accuracy may one expect from a Springfield M1a in National match configuration?
Do any of you use this rifle or have you all gone to bolt actions for medium/ long distance shooting?

Is it normal for the M1a to be prone to heat changing the point of impact?

If so what would be a normal number of shots taken before and M1a starts to exhibit barrel walk due to heat?

Has anyone anything to say about the Basset Machine scope mount? Do they stay put or is it a myth?

Re: M1A...any good for medium/ lomg range shooting?

I have never owned a M1A but I can tell you that that google search function for the hide is your friend on this one.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tuckerp229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greetings,

Rough day at the range.
What kind of accuracy may one expect from a Springfield M1a in National match configuration?
Do any of you use this rifle or have you all gone to bolt actions for medium/ long distance shooting?

Is it normal for the M1a to be prone to heat changing the point of impact?

If so what would be a normal number of shots taken before and M1a starts to exhibit barrel walk due to heat?

Has anyone anything to say about the Basset Machine scope mount? Do they stay put or is it a myth? </div></div>

Visit this link for some answers to your questions. There is a long discussion in the Luppino folder about the Basset mount.
http://m14tfl.com/upload/index.php

SAI NM configuration from factory, 2 minutes plus. You may get occasional teasers, but you can bet on the 2 minutes plus.

I researched this heavily in the past few weeks.

It seems most guys are saying 2 moa plus is normal for a m1a..

Barrel walk etc... didn't seem to be an issue that was mentioned.

Its a different mindset than shooting a precision bolt gun to shooting a semiauto battle rifle. Accuracy of 2 moa is enough to hit a bad guy at ranges one would expect to use that rifle at.

Its a hard pill to swallow coming from a mindeset where .5 to .75 moa groups are standard at short and medium ranges to one that says 2MOA+ is more than adequate.

I haven't shot one but I'm told shooting a semi is harder than shooting a bolt rifle as well. And shooting an M1a is harder than an ar10 or the like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I researched this heavily in the past few weeks.

Barrel walk etc... didn't seem to be an issue that was mentioned.

Its a different mindset than shooting a precision bolt gun to shooting a semiauto battle rifle. Accuracy of 2 moa is enough to hit a bad guy at ranges one would expect to use that rifle at.

Its a hard pill to swallow coming from a mindeset where .5 to .75 moa groups are standard at short and medium ranges to one that says 2MOA+ is more than adequate.

I haven't shot one but I'm told shooting a semi is harder than shooting a bolt rifle as well. And shooting an M1a is harder than an ar10 or the like.</div></div>

2 MOA at short to medium distance, that is not good news. IF that is the case then one cannot expect to shoot medium to long range with this platform.

So are you saying that the AR10 is a better alternative to have a semi-auto battle rifle that can be used in the 300-600 range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Visit this link for some answers to your questions. There is a long discussion in the Luppino folder about the Basset mount.
http://m14tfl.com/upload/index.php</div></div>

I tried your link and it pulled up the main forum front page. Then I tried the search function ...no Luppino.

Can you explain how to find your link?..I don't get out much

The ar10 seems to be better in every respect to the m1a except for nostalgia.

Its hard to deny the attraction of good old wood and steel gun.

However the AR10 has several things going for it.

1. It doesn't suffer from bedding issues like the m1a
2. The ar10 is more adaptable to the shooter
3. The ar10 was designed to use an optic. The M1a was never designed to be scoped. And the scope sits up so high it becomes a requirement to use some sort of pad/riser.
4. The ar10 is just more ergonimic because of this.
5. Though semi-auto's are harder to shoot than a bolt what I've gathered is that its easier to figure out where the ar10 is pointing as opposed to where an m1a is.

Ar10's, even short barreled ones in the 18" variety are excellent short/mid/and long range guns. Guys are taking them to 1,000 with great success. Sub MOA accuracy seems to be the rule rather than the exception with the ar10.

People who are shooting these on a regular basis can offer you more. But look into the AR10T and you'll see some really good reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ar10 seems to be better in every respect to the m1a except for nostalgia.</div></div>

Why couldn't you have just lied to me?

Now I must start all over. And yes the M1a does have "that look".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tuckerp229</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ar10 seems to be better in every respect to the m1a except for nostalgia.</div></div>

Why couldn't you have just lied to me?

Now I must start all over. And yes the M1a does have "that look". </div></div>

Hah!

I've read that there are several custom makers out there that are building special recievers with built in rails and throwing the rifles in an aftermarket chasis and are bringing them closer to ar10 performance.

However for the price they are charging(5,000$) the nostalgia factor is quickly lost on me.

I was kinda dissapointed to read all this myself as I found a supermatch that I would have really liked to have but I just couldn't justify it.

Two minutes plus from a SAI NM rifle is all you can wish for. You can spend more money on the M1a to make them shoot better. I love my M1as I have a few of them and have shot them at 600 and stayed inside the 12 inch 10 ring (close enough for 2 MOA)98.5 %(197/200) numerous times with irons. Have I shot 5 shot groups in the 1 inch range at 200 with scope, yes, but I will never label my M1As as half minute guns.

Some people quote .5 to .75 moa out of their rifles, but I have yet to see a 20 shot 1.5 inch at 300 and much less a 3 inch group at 600. Sorry I have not shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards since I quit bench rest in the 80s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ar10 seems to be better in every respect to the m1a except for nostalgia.

3. The ar10 was designed to use an optic. The M1a was never designed to be scoped. And the scope sits up so high it becomes a requirement to use some sort of pad/riser.
5. Though semi-auto's are harder to shoot than a bolt what I've gathered is that its easier to figure out where the ar10 is pointing as opposed to where an m1a is.

Ar10's, even short barreled ones in the 18" variety are excellent short/mid/and long range guns. Guys are taking them to 1,000 with great success. Sub MOA accuracy seems to be the rule rather than the exception with the ar10.

People who are shooting these on a regular basis can offer you more. But look into the AR10T and you'll see some really good reviews.

</div></div>

+1

This is conclusion I came to when I was debating about getting a semi-auto rig. I think the M1As are way more sexy, but very few of us have the cash flow to get one rifle for the sex appeal, one for the actual performance. The two custom guys that I know are putting out super accurate AR10s are APA and GA. The APA will run you about $3k but I'm pretty sure Jered guarantees 1/2MOA on that gun. GA will run you about $500 less but I'm not sure if GA is taking any more orders right now on semi-autos, and the accuracy guarantee is 3/4MOA.

Here's the links: http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/p-35-urban-sniper-308.aspx

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2009-custom-rifles/ga-precision-precision-ar-10.html

The accuracy guarantee for GA is on the "About Us" page. Enjoy.

Re: M1A...any good for medium/ long range shooting?

I think the M1a NM is a fare start, but even that rifle could really be improved upon. Years ago I bought a loaded not too long after I was discharged from the Marine Corps. I was horribly disappointed in the size of my groups. I was doing almost better with my M16a2 with ball ammo out to 500m than I was doing with this thing at 100yds with match ammo. Many years later I took this same rifle and really studied what it really took to get some sort of precision out of it. I always admired SAi M21 version so I went with it. Buying SEi parts, parts from Sadlak, a heavy match Kreiger barrel, keeping some of the good USGI parts then having it assembled by my gunsmith it all came together for me. I talked with him constantly sharing what I knew and what he knew both of us studying vast amounts of creditable info. I'm pretty pleased with it now. Haven't shot enough yet with it to accurately say just how good it is, but I know now it is better than me. Any poor groups I consider it on me and not the rifle. Total cost so far I figure it is close to 4k. Way over spent the build, but I'm happy. Now I need the one last major piece, the USO scope.
Looking back I got exactly what I wanted thus far. I wouldn't ever want to part with it. But I might never do it again. The next one I'd like to try out a SR-25. I've never shot one so I can't say it will shoot any better or any worse out of the box than what I already have, but I can't imagine it will be as difficult to achieve.

Re: M1A...any good for medium/ long range shooting?

I've never seen a factory SAI M1A NM that wouldn't shoot better than 2 MOA, if the shooter and ammo was up to it. Is it bolt gun accurate? No but lets not sell it short either, by the way Ron Smith shot a group at Benning that was five shots that was I believe 4.5 inches with his crazy horse M14. This was at 1000 yards.

His rifles aren't bedded and don't use aftermarket high dollar stocks. He builds them with GI synthetics and his own scope mount and techniques, they are hammers. They also aren't cheap, but I sure wouldn't want to be within 1000 yards of a bad guy that new how to use it, or any M14 style rifle for that matter.

The 2 Moa for 20 rounds might be correct for a NM, I don't know. I have shot matches with the last twenty rounds in a group a little less than 2 inches (reduced matches at 200 yards) with a factory NM with fed gold match 168. This was using iron sights prone with a sling. I don't think you would get as small a group with a scope at longer ranges on average as you would with a well prepped AR10.

I have used both and obviously the AR is more ergonomic for using scoped, but there are still US DMR's and plenty of army snipers that would probably tell you that they didn't have any problems getting the job done with their M14. It all depends on your personal preference and expectations.

As for build costs I have done quite a few now that with judicial spending and some trading with others M14 people have come in under 2000.00 for the rifle. Thats with a new M14 receiver from Lrb and the parts, with the labor to assemble. These have all come in under an inch at 100 and usually less than 2 at 200. A few under 3 at 300, with iron sights, prone with a sling. The one scoped one I did was an extremely good shooter and was actually less than the others because I used a SAI receiver. Technology has gotten good enough on the chrome lined DMR weight barrels that with a quality builder and parts are frequently shooting under MOA, many times with surplus (100), slightly over MOA at 200. The match rounds brought it under MOA at 200 and 300.

These rifles can be much more than a build with an AR10, depending on how you gather the parts, and who builds it, but with a little work can end up being the same cost. Now if you call Ron Smith and want a crazy horse your gonna pay for it, but it will be a bullet proof DMR rifle that will perform. Incidently it will also hold it's resale value.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps you keep an open mind. Your paying for it, get what you want, hell call some of the M14 builders, Jon Wolfe, Ron Smith, Arrington, Gus Norcross, Gus Fisher, Ted Brown, Tanks, on and on. Gap used to work on them, don't know if they still do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ar10 seems to be better in every respect to the m1a except for nostalgia.

</div></div>

I agree. My friend's DPMS LR-308 with factory barrel shot just as well as any factory bolt gun with the same handloads I use.

The AR design was ahead of its time. I love the old wood and steel guns, but nothing can beat modern technology, not even the best smith.

So I just returned from the same range today. The first target is from yesterday and this target and many others like it are why I was concerned.
M1a100targetBritishammo030.jpg

Today I went the range with different ammo..my German mil-surp and a new determination to control every aspect of each shot like my life depended on it. Here are the results.
M1a100target028.jpg

The top target with three shots was shot using my 3x9 set at 3x. The lower target was made with the factory NM irons and is a four shot group. I feel like a fool for doubting.

Tucker-If you are shooting Brit surplus-that is a GREAT group! Get yourself a couple boxs of 118 match-then you will know how the rifle can shoot. You might as well be throwing rocks than using that Brit surplus-in any rifle! barry

Oddly enough it was the Brit mil-surp that gave me the big scare. It took some German Mil-surp to prove that the rifle was capable of better. I will not however cross swords with you on the British ammo. I bought it off the net and truly only God knows if it was/ is really British Mil-surp. All I know for sure is that yesterday I owned a Pig-in-a-poke and today I own a real battle rifle that I can expect good groups from and maybe great groups if I use the right ammo and pay attention when I shoot. I would like to revisit the Brit ammo when I can verify it really is Brit Mil-surp. By the way the Brit match grade "118" you spoke of is the "118 the bullet grain or some military designation for a specific match grade ammo they issue?

Thanks for your help!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i know ive answered this before but here goes.

im no super shooter or anything and i can usually squeeze 1 moa out of my factory "loaded" type springer in a gi synthetic stock. this is using fgmm 168's or ocasionally with ballistic tip165's. i have just begun reloading for it so will see what groups that yeilds. but more to your question...
i have seen people dump triple what i have in my rig and not get this good so my take on m1a's is that theyre inconsistent from one rifle to another. by any chance is yours a stainless barrel? i noticed my brother's custom built stainless was really stringing as it barrel heated. fluctuating around 2moa. mine was not doing this. the only accurizing i did to mine was mount a leupy 3-9 on a smith ent. mount and shimmed the gas block. you might try shimming the gas block and even swapping stocks for better fit as these two variables seem to make big differences in performance but all the unitizing and bedding efforts didnt correct my brothers high dollar custom. think its a crap shoot to find a m1a that shoots.</div></div>
Marduke185

I thank you for your input. As shown by the comparison between yesterday's groups and today's group the issue was ammo. However I am interested in your mentioning shimming the gas block and changing the stock. I am not real keen on changing the stock.. I may add a cheek rest...but this gas block shimming and/or swapping with some aftermarket upgrade such as the Sadlak NM mentioned on another post has made me start thinking. The person making the post ran a straight comparison only changing the piston from stock to several aftermarket upgrades. His groups were improved greatly and at least if one purchased only one aftermarket piston the upgrade price was really inexpensive. I like inexpensive.
additionally, what do you mean by shimming and what was the before and after comparison having done this modification? I am confidently mechanical so baring machining equipment I can probably make the mod's.

Tucker,

The m14 was never meant to be used with a scope. I shoot a Springfield super match in the service rifle match out to 600yds. I have shot them since I was 11 yrs old. They will work flawless with match ammo. Remember if you have a match cut barrel do not use junk ammo, you will run into problems. If you want to go to a scope I would recommend a AR platform. I found that I needed a adjustable height stock and high end scope mount to get good results. I also have M25 built by Mike lou at Texas Brigade Armory. It will shoot 3-5 inch groups at 600 all day.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The m14 was never meant to be used with a scope.</div></div>
I believe everything you have typed but this part perplexes me.

Do you think it follows that because of rifle wasn't designed for a scope, that it cannot be used with a scope? Wasn't the 1903 Springfield designed as the "Doughboy" iron sight shooter and also became the platform for the army's sniper rifles?
My Basset mount fits the rifle perfectly, the Nikon helps me put the bullet on target, what am I missing? Remember I am coming here to learn not teach or declare. you guys that have gone before me dramatically shorten my learning curve by sharing what you have learned.

Here's what my bone stock M1A Standard can do at 100 yards, with some handloads......I haven't tried it to 200 or 300 yards yet.

0119091728a.jpg

M1A setup

M1Asetup.jpg

M14/M1A's are no AR and that is a large part of the fun. Keep playing with various ammo and practicing. For me, much more than a bolt gun, the key to shooting well is all about my position and contact behind the gun. With my M1A's, I have to be 100% consistent and I must make certain that the gun is pointing "naturally".

I've got a DMR style rifle that, with the correct ammo, is delievering sub moa out to 300. I've had great luck with the Smith Ent. scope mount and I really like the M2A McMillan stock if you want to run a scope. It is easy for me to get squarely behind the M2A (I struggled with the M3A).

To me, the M1A's shoot "shofter" than AR's, have far fewer malfunctions, and shoot with more than enough accuracy to poke holes in things at 600yds.

Tucker-I checked your profile to try to answer your question about 118 ball ammo---your profile is not filled out-are you in England, USA, or ? Anywho-M118 Match is 7.62 American made US goverment issue ammunation-there are also numerous others made by/for the US forces. If you are in the USA you might ask around and try a box in your rifle. Surplus ammo will usually leave you asking questions-best to stick to proven ammo. barry

Thanks for the wake up about my Profile. I finished filling it out.
Thanks for explaining what the 118 ammo is. I'll hunt some down.

You guys need to look around on m14tfl.com. Plenty of these guys are shooting MOA or better with pretty mild rigs. Lots of em are using the JAE GEN 2 stock.

SEI is able to get sub MOA accuracy from non-bedded USGI synthetic stocks. (M21A5 Crazy Horse)
TACOM-RI is able to get sub MOA accuracy from tension bedded SAGE EBR stocks. (M14EBR-RI)
Rifle-Company.com and The M14HDW Forum are great places on the web for information and ideas.

The JAE is a heavy stock, heavier than the SAGE EBR.

I get about 1 MOA out of my springfield nm m1a with match ammo.

Good ammo makes a difference. A well bedded M1A with decent ammo should do better than 2MOA at least out to 300yd. Mine was a Loaded Service Grade SA that I bedded myself and handloaded for. Otherwise, it was LNIB, Irons only. I tried the SA GenII mount, didn't stay put for me the way I wanted.

Substitute 42.2gr of IMR4064 and the 175SMK for the above goods, all else the same, and you have my load, which was very satisfactory all the way out to 1000yd. I won't say how good, but it was plenty good enough for me.

Nowadays I no longer have either my M1A nor my AR15 MT6700 Colt Match target. My Garand now does all my service rifle shooting.

From what I've seen in the pits at 1000yd, the AR10 seems to get at least as good accuracy with signficantly fewer problems. Given my druthers, my AR10 would be a 24" LAR260.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what my bone stock M1A Standard can do at 100 yards, with some handloads......I haven't tried it to 200 or 300 yards yet.

0119091728a.jpg

M1A setup

M1Asetup.jpg
</div></div>
That is a very nice rifle and good groups. I was giving up on getting one because of the 2 moa grouping. I am planning on getting a m1a. Thanks for the pics.

I love my M1A and it will shoot! BUT... It come with a cost. If you are just starting off, Don't pull the rifle out of the bedding unless it's absolutely necessary (like a broken part only). When cleaning the bore, do it with the action upside down so not to get any solvent on the bedding. Pick up a rod guide and a good one piece cleaning rod, so not to damage the crown. Then start reloading and make sure you have the right burning rate powder (port pressure), so not to bend the op rod. When you shoot out that barrel, have a armory (one that has been doing M1A for a while) put on a Krieger barrel and skim the bedding. It's like a woman. No... Let me take that back...It'll be a very reliable rifle.

MGD45, my rifle is set up almost just like yours. Same sling and
cheek pad anyways. Never doubt that these rifles can shoot and
are reliable as h**l! Get on youtube and search M-14 and look at all the ones the snipers are using over in the sandbox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coondog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Get on youtube and search M-14 and look at all the ones the snipers are using over in the sandbox. </div></div>

Most have switched over to the M14EBR-RI and the M21A5 Crazy Horse.

TACOM-RI_M14_EBR.jpg

Ft.Bliss-3a.jpg

2 inch at 100 yards with a M1A NM, easy to do not so great ammo.
sub MOA with one ,, not real hard to do with good ammo. I used the m21 before we went to the M24 system. Loved my 21, so much later i went and payed for a M1A NM, used it to shoot XTC out to 600 yards and did very well with it. I have fired it out (my M1A) to a 1000 yards and it did pretty good. 168 MK and Varget. I used it 2 years ago to shoot the Socom Match on Ft. Bragg NC. we fired 600 and 800 yards. I used Iron sights and no rest, did pretty good others were using scopes. A NG unit from Texas fired with their 21s they did ok. its a great rifle and they have a bunch of differant stocks for it now. I love the wood but have a m14 stock i use for BS shooting to save my bedded one. Get a non wood one and dont worry about it.
bottom line a M1A NM will shoot a moa or better, with good ammo if not send it back and they will fix or give you a new one. The only problem i have seen is getting the dam scope mounted right.
and it does site high up.

I shoot occasionally with several members of the USAF rifle marksmanship team at Davis Monthan AFB. They use M1A supermatch weapons at 800, 900 & 1000 yds competitively. My own loaded M1A is waiting for an Allen replacement for the wooden stock but in that wooden stock I group below inch with both handloads and M118 national match ammo. It won't group like my Kimber 8400 but...if you can shoot, you can be competitive with a carefully prepped gas gun using good loads.

I am considering a purchase of a SA M1A Loaded..Its the model # 9222 with the 22" carbon barrel, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Billy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coondog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MGD45, my rifle is set up almost just like yours. Same sling and
are reliable as h**l! Get on youtube and search M-14 and look at all the ones the snipers are using over in the sandbox. </div></div>

Or you can read this recent thread from lightfighter where several highly experienced military snipers comment on the fact that the M14 is a notorious POS that is inaccurate, expensive, and cannot hold a reliable zero.

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4706084761/m/632107035

Installing your NM configured M1A in a SAGE EBR will usually cut your group size in half.

The M14EBR-RI pictured above is basically a rack grade M14 tension bedded and bolted into a
M14ALCS SAGE EBR stock. These reliable rifles consistently deliver MOA accuracy on the battlefield.

Another option is to copy SEI's M21A5 Crazy Horse as close as you can.
These are ultra reliable sub MOA performers in non-bedded USGI synthetic stocks.

SEI just completed the finishing touches on my *M21A5 Crazy Horse EBR.
*M21A5 Crazy Horse rifle tension bedded and bolted into a M14ALCS/CV SAGE EBR stock.
I will take it to the range this spring and post results.

I researched this heavily in the past few weeks.

Not at all, a good NM rifle with handloads and a skill set are good for sub minute groups.

The '03A4 was a 2 MOa rifle, M1C and D were also mainly 2 MOS rifles. With the advent of the M14NM that went to 1MOA with good lots of M118.

I agree, but a good M1A properly tuned is a good sub minute rifle with handloads, depending on the rifle and the way it was built. SAI rifles differ as a lot of the M1As do

I haven't shot one but I'm told shooting a semi is harder than shooting a bolt rifle as well. And shooting an M1a is harder than an ar10 or the like.

Not at all. Put a McMillan stock on one and it's a pussycat. But this is from someone that's been shooting 14 types for a lot of years.

I am considering a purchase of a SA M1A Loaded..Its the model # 9222 with the 22" carbon barrel, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Billy

What barrel is on it? Current SAI match files have Douglas or Krieger. Have you taken a throat erosion gauge to it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coondog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MGD45, my rifle is set up almost just like yours. Same sling and
are reliable as h**l! Get on youtube and search M-14 and look at all the ones the snipers are using over in the sandbox. </div></div>

Or you can read this recent thread from lightfighter where several highly experienced military snipers comment on the fact that the M14 is a notorious POS that is inaccurate, expensive, and cannot hold a reliable zero.

Login To: Lightfighter Tactical Forum

This is rather humorous. Use of the M21s date back to Vietnam (read 93 confirmed kills), they're still in use but some are sadly worn and need new barrels. If you look at the pictures of Spec Op troops in the middle east, you'll see a lot of M14s. Even the USMC uses them in DMR configuration.

If you go to Quantico, you'll find M14s (NM, M21 and M25).