• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A cycling issues...

sm00

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help. I'm having two cycling problems with my Scout Squad. 1: The gun will eject the empty casing, but will not fully chamber the next round. 2: The gun will attempt to chamber two rounds at the same time (one ends up sticking out of the breech). Any thoughts?

Re: M1A cycling issues...

Maybe a problem with your gas system not cycling the bolt fully to the rear?

Is it brand new?

edit - Have you tried different magazines?

I've tried different mags. Each magazine seems to bring with it new problems. That's why I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the gun... or the mags could just suck...

Is the rifle dry??? If it is new, it probably isn't properly lubed. Use a good synthetic grease--where the op rod slides, bolt, bolt roller--all the friction areas. when you pull the bolt back, what does it sound like? sandpaper? One thing you will need to do eventually is change out the extractor for a GI part. That isn't your current problem but it will be one day.

What kind of mags are they? I only use CMI and have never had a problem. The Korean mags are horrible.

Try rocking the rifle back to front while holding it parallel to the floor.

You want to hear a clicking sound when you do this.

This is your gas piston and it is supposed to slide back and forth.

Take the rifle out of it's stock and lube the living hell out of it.

Also, what ammo are you shooting through this gun?

Same line of questions above. Since you don't mention your experience level with the M1A:

- How many rounds since you cleaned the gas system?
- Confirm you use 3 different hand-drills to clean it?
- Last time you stripped & re-greased the entire rifle?
- Confirm you cake on good quality grease?
- What brand mags?
- What brand & line ammo?

Questions, questions...

Honestly, and I feel like an idiot here, I'm not sure how to completely take it apart and clean it. It's fairly new... I have cleaned the barrel, breech, and magazine well, and I lube the action after it's been cleaned.

As to ammo, I've been using 147g FMJ Sellier & Bellot.

I'm not sure what the brand of the mags is. I picked them up at a gun show... They might be the Korean ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308_SPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Questions, questions...

Honestly, and I feel like an idiot here, I'm not sure how to completely take it apart and clean it. It's fairly new... I have cleaned the barrel, breech, and magazine well, and I lube the action after it's been cleaned.

As to ammo, I've been using 147g FMJ Sellier & Bellot.

I'm not sure what the brand of the mags is. I picked them up at a gun show... They might be the Korean ones. </div></div>

I would be willing to bet that those mags you picked up at the gun show are Korean...

further, I repeat--GREASE, and lots of it....when you think it is too much, add more. when you take the spring out of it and slide the action back and forth, it should make little to no noise.

Oh and +1 on the link to those mags--buy those.
smile.gif

Is it a Springfield? If so and you keep having the feed issues and it is brand new then give them a call. I had an issue with mine right after I bought it and called. They talked me through a series of trouble shooting procedures and stated that if the problem wasn't fixed they wanted me to send them the rifle (on their ticket) and they would either fix it or send me a new one. Needless to say it was a simple fix and I am still a happy owner. But the mags are a sure bet way of messing up the feed. 44mag.com sells the quality mags

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308_SPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lube the action after it's been cleaned.</div></div>further, I repeat--GREASE, and lots of it....
when you think it is too much, add more.</div></div>

Can't emphasize what Bennyboy says enough ... noticed you mentioned "lube" and want to hope you meant, and if you didn't, re-emphasize the word "grease." The most hardcore will only use XF7, Lubriplate or Plastilube. I just use a tub of Mobil 1 cause I already have it. You can't over-grease the M1A -- if it doesn't like how much you put on , it will simply fling off the excess when you fire it. Here's an old link I keep bookmarked: http://www.m14.ca/maintenance/M14_Lubrication_Tutorial_with_Pictures_1_.pdf

+1 on all mag comments. That may be your problem. www.44mag.com is the place to buy.

Doesn't sound like your problem is gas system related; however, regarding cleaning the gas system, your M1A toolkit needs a 3/8" wrench (if you ever bought anything from LaRue tactical, their included wrench is perfect), gas cylinder wrench, 2-piece gas piston cleaning drills, 1-piece gas plug cleaning drills. Sadlak's set is my preference.

As others have said. Lube with grease. I use lubriplate. And get some Good magazines. I have been using 10 and 20 rd. checkmate mags with no problems. I don't understand when people buy a nice rifle or handgun then get cheap magazines. They are vital to how a semi(or full) auto rifle or handgun function.

I may be repeating from above, but grease the rifle. If you over-do it, the excess will just get flung out by the action.

I use Lubriplate 130-A from Brownells. Over on the M14Forum there's a great guide on disassembly as well as a comprehensive guide on what to lube.

Got to this web site down load the T.M. for the M14. Check the trouble shooting section out. You will find all the possible causes for problem. Then it's just a matter of eliminating one by one till you discover the problem

www.m14.ca/TM/026378.pdf

Good luck good shooting and don't give up on the system. It's a great system and a lot of fun

My had a similar problem. Sent it to SAINC let them figure it out

Step #1

Learn how to field strip and clean/lube your weapon.

Step #2

If the gun came with a short little magazine that's a pain in the ass to insert, use that one to determine if you have a feeding issue.

If the answer to #2 is "no", do any of your magazines say "Check-Mate Industries", "CMI", or "Springfield Armory"? If the answer is still "no", then you need to buy one of these magazines.

also, is the gas selecter flathead screw type thingy turned correct position to let gas thru the piston?

Awesome. Thanks for all the ideas and help!

It might also be oil in the gas piston. The piston needs to be clean AND dry to function properly, if you've put oil down the barrel then it's gotten in the piston area, use the wrench tool, clean out the piston area and then make sure it's nice and dry. Everything else, cover in oil and grease.