• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A - Full Length Sizing

Blue Streak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
KY via Oklahoma
I just picked up a M1A,..intend to use it for paper punching only.

I understand the concept of full length vs neck sizing only and that autoloaders "always" get full length sized.

So, if I use my 308 body die and then use a neck bushing die,I am certainly full length sizing.

I think I would gain better concentric neck and neck tension.

Is this something anybody has ever worked out and seen some benefit or am I just going about this all wrong?

Re: M1A - Full Length Sizing

No, you've got the gist.

Dozens of ways to skin the cat. Body die + bushing neck die is good.

However, for your purposes, I think there's little to be gained over a simple FLS die.

Maybe remove the expander on the decapping stem, and/or follow up the FLS with a sinclair expander?

Just be aware that you may have to use a small base fl die to get your brass to chamber after firing. So whatever you use, test first before refilling.

I tested the bass for chamber fit after I used the body die and they chambered okay,..the bolt closed easily and went into full battery. So, I think I'm okay and won't need small base dies.

In my M1A, I only fire my cases 4-5 times before chucking them. I thought I could get away with reloading them more but the autoloader does a job on brass and if you shoot enough and often eventually you will get a case rim pulled off. Definitely FL resize and toss after reloaded 4 times max.

Who manufactured your rifle? Is it 308 Win or 7.62 NATO? If it's 308 Win, FL size and run each case through a gage for SAAMI specs. With that, you SHOULD be ok. There seems to be alot of variance in chamber size in M1A's, so SAAMI specs are really only a starting point. Dependng on who made your rifle, the owner's manaul may say shoot only NATO ammo or any high quality commercial ammo (or both!). Google handloading for the M1A if you haven't already. It's clear as mud after reading up on it.

It is a Springfield 308. I understand that autoloaders are hard on brass, I've been loading for my Garand for some time now and it can eat brass.

I don't have a so called "full length" die set for 308 but I do have a Redding Competition set that has a body & bushing die, (obviously the body die is a full length die).

I don't see a problem doing it his way, like Turbo said above, many was to skin a cat. I was just wondering if anyone else worked this way and if a benefit might be found.

There isn't any benefit or problem with doing it your way. Just make sure you are setting the shoulder back enough so you do not get a fire out of battery, remember the M1A has a floating firing pin.

The rifle came with a factory note stating that the HeadS was set at 1.6315. I measured some factory ammo I shot out of the rifle at 1.620 before and then after it was all over the place. I knew the "after firing" measurement would be bogus because of the action.

So, I set my body die up and bumped the cases until I had everything at 1.618 - 1.620. This should be okay?

Yes that is a good place. Good case prep is also very important. I trim all my cases to 2.002, it allows for a little more leeway in loads, and I don't have to trim anymore until I toss the brass 4 loadings later.

Found that using a SB die works best in a M1A rifle....
You may want to go to the M-14 Forum and ask the same
question watch the answer to your question.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue Streak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle came with a factory note stating that the HeadS was set at 1.6315. I measured some factory ammo I shot out of the rifle at 1.620 before and then after it was all over the place. I knew the "after firing" measurement would be bogus because of the action.

So, I set my body die up and bumped the cases until I had everything at 1.618 - 1.620. This should be okay? </div></div>

If you want to get the proper measurement for your fired cases from your M-1A, turn the gas spindle off and fire 5-10 shots single shot. With the gas spindle off, you'll get a better reading. The cases won't be ejected by the gas system, which is violent in the M-1A. If you were measuring cases that were ejected during normal operation, the shoulders may be blown a couple thousandths more forward.

Many M-1A shooters bump their shoulders .003"-.005" and only reload their brass 4-5 times, then they get tossed.

A couple of good articles to read. Reloading for the m-14 and once fired twice fired.
http://www.zediker.com/downloads/m14.html