• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Garand

Loaded247

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2012
Hey guys,
My son and I have always had an interest in the M1 Garand, we have always thought about owning one. We are currently getting the money together to purchase one. I have heard there are many things to look for when purchasing one. Is there a anyone out there or a book to assist me in what to look for when purchasing one?

Thanks

Its either a M1A or a M1 Garand, both are great weapons but different. Look to the CMP to get one, they have gradings explained on their website.

Thanks,
I mean the M1 Garand. I will look them up

Thankyou

Also be good to do a google search for info, some serious dedicated sites for the M1 Garand and M1A, both great rifles. Old WW2 grunt let me shoot his Garand on a range back in 88, those few shots cost me many thousands of $.

Hey Armyjerry,
Let me ask you 308 vrs 30/06, what do you think? I might me crazy but this is kind of what we are looking for. A M1 Garand WWII issue , good condition, low rounds, numbers/parts matching , good shooter. Not looking for a show room piece. Don't mind spending the time or money to find the right gun. Am I looking for the Holy Grail? Or is this doable.

Thanks

M1 Garand, I would go 30/06, I personally think the 06 is an under rated and under appreciated round in the the tacticool community plus that is what the rifle was designed around. If you need parts, barrel etc etc, there are many quality new parts suppliers out there. Plus it seems 30/06 is cheapere and more available today than the so called surplus ammo.

I bought a correct grade from CMP early last year. It was built in 1955 and I shot it at the Texas Multi Gun in WWII class. It was a lot of work loading those 8 round clips but it was a lot of fufunicular am glad I have that piece of history in my safe.

I picked up a post war(1952 mfr.) in good shape with all proof stamps intact in my local gun store. The CMO is definitely where I would start, but I would keep looking anywhere and everywhere.

If you want WWII "correct", original .30-06 is the way to go. .308 was a later Navy modification which for the best function required both a slightly enlarged gas port AND slightly bent-out enbloc clips (less taper in the body of the 7.62 NATO type = the front of the clips squeezed 'em a bit too tight). Barrels from reputable makers will have the correct port, and the clip mod could be done with two chunks of hardwood and a hammer strike. Once popular with match shooters, the .308 versions often had min-headspace chambers which are associated with the very rare but stock- and other parts-destroying slam-fire.

Nice, slick rifle with no protruding magazine, great sights, and for me I could reload it much faster than a mag-fed rifle with that stupid paddle release (AK, M14 type) or an AR type that won't spit its magazines out. Grab 'n stuff.

M1 thumb is also very, very easy to avoid. Truly a 20 seconds of training issue.

Long, slightly heavy for its purpose, beautiful and accurate. Add a sense of world-saving history and what's not to love?

PLUS you can still find .30-06 ammo on the shelves where I circulate.

The M1 Garand is my favorite rifle, lots of history and fun to shoot. I think the CMP is running out of the $600 service grade rifles, your best bet may be the
M1 special grade which has a new stock and barrel for $1000. Either way I would move fast as they are stacked up orderwise like everyone else. Another more expensive option would be an M1 from Fulton Armory which is like getting a brand new weapon. I would also go with the 30-06 caliber, but I think Fulton Armory offers the 308 option.

CMP still has HRA $625 Service Grades available, just temporarly out of Springfield Sevice Grades. Expect a minimum 60 day wait for your order to get processed as they are terribly backed up from panic buying

CMP is a must if you are going to get one. I got a service grade SA about 8 years ago. It is a great gun.