• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m1a lubrication

hooksz86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2011
panhandle of Oklahoma
Have a Socom ii. Just thinking on changing grease for sliding parts. Wanted to see what brand and grease you guys were liking the best. I live in a hi dust, almost sandy area. I know not much is needed, just want the best for the rifle as far as going the longest with no slow feeding problems.

Guy at springfield mentioned PC-lube and shooters choice.
I was also thinking on a moble 100% sinthetic maybe.

Re: m1a lubrication

I use Wilson Combat synthetic lube, they have a greese and a oil both in a syringe, good stuff. Grease the locking lugs, try to keep from over oiling the extracor area to keep the firing pin clean and pretty much free of oil.

I've used STP motor oil treatment with good success. Some of it will leak a little if you apply too much or leave standing for too long. Not a big issue. Lots of people swear by it.

I've also used hoppe's gun grease. Worked equally as well if applied liberally.

Another site recommended TW-25e synthetic gun grease. I bought a bottle but haven't tried it yet. However all TW-25 products I've used have been excellent.

Just started using frog lube. Seems to be really good stuff and smells minty fresh!

I just use CLP never had an issue.Take down complete after every shooting session.I am wary about using grease or too much lube on weapons,I live in a medium dust area now but spent plenty of time in NTC n my younger days.

I just read article and it makes sense, I guess I will move to greasing the weapon, great article.

JGrelle,

That is a fantastic article. I like it when things make good sense. That should come with a new m1a just like the article of the slam fire. I will print and put with my binder of notes for loading and what not. Thanks again.

I also liked the article I've only hade my M14 for a little while and may have to chnge what I use on it. Thanks

M1a needs grease I use lubriplate. It has been working for years. Where I don't use grease I use slip 2000 EWL.

I use lubriplate. Only parts that oil touches is the bore and the stock.

I use a cardboard tube of surplus GAA from the army. Works fine in cold and hot weather. Shot it in upstate NY at drum in -15 to-20 and shoot it tons in Fl in the 90-100 range. Granted it isn't perfect but it functions for me across the board.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic wheel bearing grease (the red stuff). Use this on all my rifles wherever grease is called for. Has worked great for me.

Use Slip 2000 and their grease. Use the oil on the carrier and the bolt lugs and the grease on the raceways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://independencearmory.com/downloads/M14_Articles/M14_lubrication_instructions.pdf</div></div>

That is probably the single best M14 lube article I've ever read -- from over 30 years experience with that rifle.

The gentlemen who recommended high temp bearing grease and military GAA (Grease, Automotive and Artillery) are also right on.

Besides a brush you should also probably have wood-handle gunsmith Q-tips (available from Brownells) and a Badger roller grease-packing tool (not absolutely necessary but less messy than putting a dab of grease in your palm and packing the roller).

This:
bad22303.jpg

or this:
p_093223025_1.jpg

Sinister got it.One of the few overlooked/talked about lube points.
The bolt roller .Use grease.And one of the above devices for application....or a 10 m.m. auto case ,I'm cheap thats what I use .
Good luck on the rifle,they are great !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longdistance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a Socom ii. Just thinking on changing grease for sliding parts. Wanted to see what brand and grease you guys were liking the best. I live in a hi dust, almost sandy area. I know not much is needed, just want the best for the rifle as far as going the longest with no slow feeding problems.

Guy at springfield mentioned PC-lube and shooters choice.
I was also thinking on a moble 100% sinthetic maybe. </div></div>

M1As and M14s do not need grease. In the Middle East it's not been unusual that they were being used dry and working.

I have almost 40 years in with M1As (starting with a Devine) and I only very lightly lube them typically with Tri Flow, BUT the caveat with that one is to never allow any Teflon near the chamber or the bore since it breaks down and effects accuracy. One of the gunny's I knew working with 14s used to have a heart attack if one of the grunts used LubraPlate. It's junk.

Grease tends to attract dirt/dust, it freezes depending, etc etc etc. Most people over lube M1As as it is.

Most important, do not wet patch an M1A or 14 type. I've seen a lot of screwed up gas assemblies because of cleaning agent that flowed into the gas assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGrelle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use XF-7 & or lubriplate, Slip 2000 EWL where oil is required. </div></div>

Lubraplate is the worst you can use on a 14 type. It was quickly discarded by the military when they found a lot of the problems with using it; in the US, Europe and Vietnam.

I do use grease on the bolt roller, but otherwise I don't grease a 14 type. Not needed and I don't want anything on the weapon that collects dirt/dust. Grease does.I still have can of genuine M14 bolt roller grease in the shop. Haven't seen any other in a lot of years.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic wheel bearing grease (the red stuff). Use this on all my rifles wherever grease is called for. Has worked great for me.

+1 for this. automotive bearing grease is meant to keep high friction precision parts from overheating for millions of revolutions. Probably the very best thing out there for guns. That said I have used frog lube and I'm switching to it.