• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A SOCOM 16” vs standard

18” M1A is one of the best versatile platforms around. The 16” version never appealed to me.

Looks like a SOCOM but it's all custom. Same exact length but it's a heavy Barnett 1-10 on an LRB M25. Depending on ammo, it will shoot around 1" 3rd groups at 100. In process of acquiring loading components to come up with a nice load for 155 Sierra's.
20210811_210404.jpg

Well, it's more than just ammo and the "fun" factor. How tight a gun groups is just part of the equation. The other part is how well you can shoot it in a variety of conditions. Try shooting your ultra-light AR10 clone offhand or from a sling. See what you can do with it at 1,000 yards resting it in the fork of a tree. Make yourself up a rack of 8 or 10 hanging plates on a piece of pipe and start out at 200 yards and see how fast you can swing all the plates while shooting off of a pack. When you get pretty fast at it, move 'em back 100 yards more and try it again. Then, when you think you're pretty fast at it, take that scope off of it and get you some good A2 sights (I like LMTs) on that gun and try it again and see how far you can hit 'em. Make a challenge out of it. That's what will make you a better shot. Then, one day you will discover that you are such a consistent shooter that when you do have a problem hitting a target, you know the problem isn't you. And, you also will discover that a gun that can shoot like a laser beam from a lead sled isn't necessarily that accurate a gun when you have to pick it up and shoot it offhand.
This is hard for me practice is a really good thing believing that you can ever reach the conclusion missing wasn’t you well I’m just not on that page. Fortunately I typically use such good gear that if something goes wrong it is almost always me think shooting 10 hours in a row yeah it’s hard to be so confident that you’re not the problem instead it’s the tangent theta scope or the JPLRP7 yeah it was me.

2021 picked up a socum 16. . No problems with mines so far .
I have no idea what this thread is even about, but you Sir, are my new hero; you’ve been a member of this forum for 10 years and this is your second post. 10 years, 2 posts. I’ve heard tales about the man of few words but now I can say I have actually met him 😁 Aloha hoa!

Reactions: 1911hombre
I have an early production SOCOM (before they switched to the chinsy stocks). I can’t speak to more recent production, but I’ve seen more than a couple folks get lemons.

From the factory it is NOT a precise gun. However the limiting factor is the ridiculous sights, not the barrel or anything else. If you swap out the front for a national match blade and drop in a standard rear, things tighten right up and she’s shoots respectably well.

I second that it likes to be run with irons. Pull that forward rail off the barrel and get a full upper hand guard.

I have an M1A standard loaded and I’m thinking of trading for a SOCOM 16” but I’ve read mixed reviews on accuracy of the SOCOM. Some say your lucky to get 2” at 100yds and some say theirs is “extremely accurate”. Looking for some honest feedback with someone who has had both and your thoughts??

They "can" be accurate but even the best examples will have a difficult time out shooting a modern 308 gas gun like an AR10. While I would consider the M1A to be borderline obsolete, I still would consider one just as I would like to eventually pick up a Garand and a K98. They are cool guns, that have a place in history and are fun to plink with.

As for a standard vs loaded, I think I would lean towards the Socom, as it has a nice little bush gun feel to it, the most that I would do is drop a red dot onto it, and maybe upgrade the stock to a traditional wood stock.

Also something to consider, in some states that have bans, the M1A may not be subject to regulation because of its traditional stock. Not saying that anybody should opt into any of this sillyness but something to consider. Maryland on the other hand banned M1A's but Scars are treated the same as rem 700

Had 2 socoms. First one shot like shit so sold it off. Didnt learn my lesson and got another and shot just as bad on top of bending the op rod with surplus ammo and finally breaking the gas piston. Stripped the thing down to the reciever and built it into a scout with a 18" Kreiger barrel, TRW oprod, TRW bolt. shimmed gas. sadlak gas piston. NM sights. USGI fiberglass stock.
I recommend you just get one from Fulton Armory or LRB rifles and not a POS SA "socom"..
I've owned 2 Devine TX rifles. 1, one of the few M14's made by Elmer the other an M1A NM. In addition 3 M1A's made in the late 70's and 80's All were finally machined weapons. I was out of my mind one day and bought an early SOCOM. Biggest POS of any rifle I ever owned. Out of the box it wouldn't eject. Turns out the chamber looked like it was chewed up like Bucky beaver finished it. Sent it back and when it was returned chamber still looked like crap although it still ejected. Accuracy was horrible 5' 5shot 100 yard groups using FGMM, While the other M1A's ranged from slightly over 1" with the Devine TX NM to around 1.5" with all the other M14/M1A's. promptly traded the SOCOM in.

I've owned several SOCOM's from factory Springfield to custom builds with Criterion and Smith Enterprise 16" barrels and not one would shoot less than 3-4" at 100 yards regardless of ammo, iron sights or optics. Also, could not rely on the same poi as well. The custom builds had all the accuracy tricks and still shot like shit. Maybe bedding would have helped but the lack of, combined with the short, thin barrel's gas timing, the 16" barrels would never shoot for me.

The rifle pictured in post #52 has a heavy pattern barrel that is cut and crowned to 17.5" and no muzzle device and bedded into the stock. Yes its heavy but it comes in at 37.25" in length, which is the same as the SOCOM and it shoots extremely well. I've had probably 10-12 of these rifles over the years in every configuration possible and this one is probably my favorite.

Just an opinion- The forward rail that clamps around the mid span of the barrel is the problem. You can use a lightweight red dot on it and it doesn't shoot too bad. If you mount a heavy long eye relief scope on that rail it will shoot like crap. I took the whole barrel mounted rail off and used a typical receiver mount and the rifle shoots decent.

Reactions: 1911hombre