• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A SOCOM 16.....what are you using for a bore guide when cleaning ?

DubfromGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2020
Had a homemade piece that a buddy got from somewhere he can't remember.

I lost it over the year it took me to finally get around to shooting my SOCOM.

Really enjoy the rifle ....but was hoping to see what everyone is using for a bore guide when they are running their cleaning rod.

I've been using an OTOS cable "rod" and it works okay, but would prefer to get in there with an actual rod.

From an older thread over at M14Forum.com... I don't know if Dewey still offers a custom service at that price. ( 2007 thread )

"I got a reply from Dewey...

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have a guide for the SOCOM as part of our regular line but would be happy to customize one for you. The custom guides are $20 which includes the shipping. Please get back to us and we can proceed.
Regards,
Dewey's "

Contact e-mail for Dewey.... https://deweyrods.com/contact/

Reactions: DubfromGA
You could always just not clean the bore 😉

I haven’t cleaned a rifle bore other than a quick swipe from a bore snake (kinda nice to if it’s gets a little wet/dusty) since 2013. I am not even sure I own a clean rod anymore!

Just keep the action clean and lubricated, and only clean the bore if the accuracy noticeably declines. Most shooters over clean bores which on the worst occasion can lead to improper care or damage but realistically is mostly like just a waste of your time.

I get that cleaning rifle bores is a kink for some shooters but my professional experience has shown no discernible improvements by religiously cleaning. This is mirrored in my personal collection as well across a variety of calibers and platforms. There’s very few situations that really requires “getting in there” with a rod.

The cheapest M14 cleaning rod guide I've ever seen-used is a simple de-primed 12-gauge shotgun shell. It fits over the flash hider and centers a Dewey rod.

You have to be really careful using a jointed GI rod so as not to ding the crown.

The Ara-Mor fits inside the flash suppressor, while a Dewey fits outside:

p_022100014_1.jpg

Reactions: DubfromGA
The cheapest M14 cleaning rod guide I've ever seen-used is a simple de-primed 12-gauge shotgun shell. It fits over the flash hider and centers a Dewey rod.

You have to be really careful using a jointed GI rod so as not to ding the crown.
seen pictures of guys using the shotgun hull...never tried it though

From an older thread over at M14Forum.com... I don't know if Dewey still offers a custom service at that price. ( 2007 thread )

"I got a reply from Dewey...

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have a guide for the SOCOM as part of our regular line but would be happy to customize one for you. The custom guides are $20 which includes the shipping. Please get back to us and we can proceed.
Regards,
Dewey's "

Contact e-mail for Dewey.... https://deweyrods.com/contact/

Thanks.

I'll measure it and get with them.

I wish the SOCOM model took the same as the others.

I'd been keeping my eyes open for a Scout Squad model......then Palmetto Arms ran a crazy price on this SOCOM model and I jumped on it. I'm not crazy about the camo stock....but have a nice walnut stock on standby. Planning on bedding it and then repeated layers tung oil.

Going to enjoy this gun over the years.

Currently have a Burris scout scope on it.....the verdict is still out on this config. Some more range time will see. Need to get it out to 200yds and see how I do with it.,

Who knows.....I may take it on a few deer hunts this year.

Reactions: brianf

The Ara-Mor fits inside the flash suppressor, while a Dewey fits outside:

p_022100014_1.jpg

That sounds like a slick solution. Thanks.

I'll make some empty hulls guides with gusto.

Reactions: sinister