• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A stock choice

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Greetings to all,

I am pretty tall, about 6-3. I have a very factory m1a base model with the cheap plastic stock. One thing that drives me crazy about the M1A is how I feel like my thumb is gonna smack me in the face every time I squeeze off a round. It just feels like the stock is so short. I had the chance to finger an M21. It was like night and day when compared to my stock. The stock felt like it was long enough and was comfortable to shoulder and imagine firing, it felt I was shouldering a bolt gun. So I did some looking at the Springfield website, the weird thing, the weapons are the exact same length, but they feel so different. My question is, why does the factory stock feel so short when the length of pulls are the same when compared to the M21 stock.

I am looking at a McMillan M1A stock, so I looked at McMillan's website for an m1a stock, the standard length of pull is 13.5". I measure my plastic stock, length of pull and it is right at 13.5". I would rather save $150 and NOT have to order the length of pull kit for the McMillan, but I don't want to buy a stock that doesn't fit me.

I will probably be shooting the rifle with an optic. FYI, I don't know where I could try on a Super Match M1A for size.

Can anyone guide me in the proper direct?

When shooting a M14 or it's clone w/a std rack stock,(save E-2) when shooting irons if your thumb and cheek are not touching your, shooting it wrong! The cheek weld to the thumb is the correct way to shoot one. Now that said, I prefer the E-2(A-1) stock but hate the smooth butt plate, and do not want too use it (as designed for full auto). I removed mine and installed a Limb Saver pad for shoulder grip, recoil on a 14 is nothing once you learn to manage it correctly. With glass your looking for the same consistency and muscle memory as well.
One thing to remember, you will always do better with a shorter than ideal stock for you than a longer one.

If shoot mostly with optics, I would recommend the Mcmillan M3a over the M1a. I went with the M1a thinking I would use the rifle for high power, however when that role was filled by another, I turned it into a scoped rifle. I had to get a cheek riser (that's already built into the M3a) and its not quite the right shape for supported shooting.

unless your going for a High Power or M21 clone rifle I'd stray away from the McMillans.

The newer M1A stocks all offer more in the way of length of pull and comb height which will aid in adding optics to the platform.

Troy, Vltor and the Crane stocks are all good quality and offer more if adding optics.

We each have different situation but here's what worked well for me.....

I did the VLTOR stock and with the added 1" of stock rise available it worked just fine. Previously my Match stock was too low....added a strap on cheekpiece, it looked like shit and moved around after 20 rds or so.

I was lucky to find the VLTOR cheap, about 2/3'rds of what they sell for. Works great with a scope.

If you plan on shooting DCM / NRA matches and want to keep it service rifle legal use a Mac stock or an oversize walnut stock and bed it properly. The feel & fit will be the same.
If you DO NOT plan on shooting service rifle legal matches get any stock that does fits you and performs as desired.

I am 6' 2" and the M1A "feels" a little short for me but works well in stock configuration.
Super match or standard if you are keeping it service rifle configuration they all feel the same except for the weight of the barrel.

second Law483's work, Tony is a true craftsman...........

DSC_0001.jpg

The girth of the chassis prolly has a lot to do with the difference. Once you add a scope, you will be looking for a cheek riser to get a proper cheek weld. The rifle will feel more balanced and natural to shoot. I'm 6'1" and found the same issues your experiencing.

You can increase the LOP of an M14 stock by replacing the steel buttplate with an SAI rubber buttpad

I recently ordered M3A for mine with a 14" LOP by going with a 1" recoil pad.
I knew I wanted to scope the rifle and I wanted accuracy and repeatability.

I just hate the wait time.