• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing M1A stock refinishing question

BigAndy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
MI, USA
I just picked up a Boyd's walnut M1A stock and realized the buttstock to buttplate fit is a little unsightly. In other words, the GI plate is thinner in width than the stock, leaving wood (more-or-less symmetrical) on either side of the metal. Now, the metal is fitted flush with the surface, so I don't want to yank it. I will try to post pictures this weekend, but which way is the best to rectify the situation? I am thinking that I will have to remove about a quarter-inch from both sides of the buttstock, then taper the stock forward to minimize any distortion I may introduce into the stock's lines. I was planning on initially starting with a heavy grit paper to remove the excess material, and to contour the stock. After the shape is roughed out I will gradually move to finer grits. Then comes the refinishing. Tung oil? Maybe some fancy stain? It is decent wood, but certainly no exhibition grade. I want this project to come out nice, but don't want to obsess as this is for a project rifle (A Polytech that I am going to try bedding (my first time)). I am looking to have a good shooting, decent to look at, range rat of a rifle. Any and all comments, cautions, and criticisms are appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
BigAndy

If you really have to remove a quarter inch from both sides of the buttstock, a heavy grit paper is going to take a very long time. I would start with a cabinet maker's rasp or even a farrier's hoof rasp for that level of wood removal. Then move to a finer rasp and then the abrasives.
Tung oil would be a good finish works well, provided you don't want the wood too dark. You can tint the oil to darken it if you're looking for a darker. SurplusRifle has a decent article on stock refinishing using either Tung or boiled linseed oil.

Surplusrifle.com - Refinishing a Military Rifle Stock

What he said and to add:
boyd's stocks are great but usually require inletting from the liner to op-rod guide for mags to seat fully and ensure proper functioning