• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1a super match stock question

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2013
Hi, I picked this up new from a guy. Its a Springfield armory M1a super match. But, this one doesn’t have the black McMillan stock on it. It has a heavy black textured composite I’m guessing stock on it. It also has the butt plate from a m1 garand. I was thinking it was a T44E4 stock of some type?? All the T44E4s I see are wood. Is this a rare stock?? Any help would be great. Thanks. David

Attachments

• 2DD9BBC3-4DF1-4402-AA9D-97584D5E06E4.jpeg
    2DD9BBC3-4DF1-4402-AA9D-97584D5E06E4.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 219
  • A337FFB7-856A-474A-AEEC-DB088DDBA2EC.jpeg
    A337FFB7-856A-474A-AEEC-DB088DDBA2EC.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 225
Have you called Springfield and asked them about it? When I called to confirm info about mine they were very helpful.

Supermatch stocks are quite chunky. They would also be bedded. The rear and front sights will also be a hint. Got a hood on that rear sight? I wouldn't go breaking it down just yet. Could possibly be a SM, never know......vague qustion and vague(r) pics...

Rear sight has a hood. The sights look/are correct. I have shown it to a few guys I shot service rifle with. Big M1a guys. They have never seen a stock like that. I’ll have to keep looking around for answers

Make sure you have a Super Match and not a regular National Match or "Loaded" M1A. If it doesn't have a lugged receiver, like the pic, it's not a Super Match. I'm guessing by that stock that you do not have a "Super Match".

Super Match
OIP.8MSgS6dBKsZIkUoMKX_V6gHaDa

Everything else
1660923687436.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: lennyo3034
It looks like a Super Match or a custom build for Camp Perry / National Match shooting to me. Marines really liked lugging, Army not so much.

Check inside the fore end to see if it's painted. You'll be able to see the natural fiberglass texturing or milling. The shape at the "Balance point" in front of the magazine well is an indicator (different profile from GI wood).

The heavy pebble paint finish would have been appropriate for someone who doesn't want slippage while in position -- but it would get hot in the summer. The M1 butt pad simplifies set-up since you don't need separate butt pad, door, and hinging butt plate.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Check to see if it is bedded.

The palm swell on your pics, isn't "normal" for a run of the mill M1A stock. The palm swell is certainly more match like.

Maybe some thing like this McMillian, but with a pebble texture added ?... https://www.uscollectorsordnance.com/product/m1a-m14-mcmillian-composite-fiberglass-stock/

Can you post a few more pics of the whole stock ?

FWIW... here is a pic from SAI of the McMillian black stocked Super Match M1A..

SA9804-1536x336.png

Last edited:
Check to see if it is bedded.

The palm swell on your pics, isn't "normal" for a run of the mill M1A stock. The palm swell is certainly more match like.

Maybe some thing like this McMillian, but with a pebble texture added ?... https://www.uscollectorsordnance.com/product/m1a-m14-mcmillian-composite-fiberglass-stock/

Can you post a few more pics of the whole stock ?

FWIW... here is a pic from SAI of the McMillian black stocked Super Match M1A..

SA9804-1536x336.png
I have it at work. I can post more pics of it tomorrow.

Reactions: bfoosh006
They DO come with over-sized wood stocks, too, so you have to check the fore-end channel and receiver bed to see if it's wood or fiberglass.

cGc
My national match rifle has an oversized wood stock, but not as bulky as the super match. The super match is a big stock. Both the national match and super match are bedded. Springfield tells you not to be breaking it down. Or, at least be very careful doing it.

Springfield tells you not to be breaking it down. Or, at least be very careful doing it.
Nature of the beast. No commercial or military National Match armorer wants you to monkey with the tight fit of the receiver to bedding, except maybe for an annual end-of-season check and cleaning to change all your old grease for new. Every other season, Marine and Navy gunsmiths might do a "Skim-bedding" to re-tighten fit or clean up anything that may have cracked or powdered.

Here is a pic of it. It is bedded and the stock doesn’t appear to be wood with a textured finish.

Attachments

• 75E8946A-A1E1-4B88-AF3D-C98BC4968C56.jpeg
    75E8946A-A1E1-4B88-AF3D-C98BC4968C56.jpeg
    898.2 KB · Views: 136
Can't tell because of the textured exterior finish. If you don't separate the action from the lower, open the butt plate trap door. Do you see wood grain, fiberglass, or is it smooth? Painted or not routed out?

In the magazine well, is it wood grain, fiberglass, or smooth - painted over?

Behind the trap door it is smooth and painted. It feels and sounds like fiberglass. The mag well has a stock liner that bedded into it. There is bedding going to the bottom of the mag well.

I shot Service Rifle during the 80’s &90’s. Clint McKee Sr., now deceased Fulton Armory Principal, built a number of Peerless M1A’s for me. All actions were “unlugged”, had Kreiger Stainless Heavy Match barrels, and McMillan Fiberglass Stocks with Black Pebble Grain finish in a heavy match pattern that appeared similar to yours. At the time, Clint had Mr. Charlie Maloney, a retired USA MTU armorer of great renown, bed Fulton Armory’s Peerless M1A/M14’s Using Mr. Maloney’s Proprietary “Full Contact Bedding” With Titanium Devcon and NO STOCK LINER.

Quit simply the best bedding jobs I have ever seen on any M1A/M14, all of my rifles have stood the test of time and high round count (3500-5000 rounds) without any failures (feed, extract, chamber, fire, etc.) and still deliver exceptional precision to this day.

It should be noted that I have steadfastly resisted the urge to remove the actions from their stocks, having done so only after 3000 plus rounds for a comprehensive cleaning and re-lubrication. It is my strong recommendation that you do the same, as rifles that are typically used in competition or casual range use can be adequately cleaned, lubricated, and have their gas systems maintained without removing the action from the stock.

I concede that this may not be the case with rifles used in combat or that see heavy field use, but better stock/chassis choices exist for the M1A/M14 system if used under those conditions.

As always, this is my personal experience only; your results may vary.

Regards
JHC

Last edited:
I would call springfield but it looks like a non-mcmillan fiberglass stock to me. There were a couple other companies making them but I cannot remember the names.

Here was my old one from the armslist ad I do miss it a bit. The grip area on the mcmillans I've seen are different than OPs:

13260837_01_m1a_match_rifle_mcmillan_stock_640.jpg

Last edited:
It appears it was assembled and finished well -- no shortcuts.

The only other thing I can say, to check without drilling or scraping to confirm whether or not it's wood, is to remove the trigger guard and inspect the stock internals from there. You don't have to separate the upper from lower -- just pull the trigger guard from its rear stop, rotate the guard to fully open (to unlock from the receiver), and pull straight out.

It appears it was assembled and finished well -- no shortcuts.

The only other thing I can say, to check without drilling or scraping to confirm whether or not it's wood, is to remove the trigger guard and inspect the stock internals from there. You don't have to separate the upper from lower -- just pull the trigger guard from its rear stop, rotate the guard to fully open (to unlock from the receiver), and pull straight out.
I did that before I bought it. To me and a few others. It looks like fiberglass. I have to call Springfield

Reactions: sinister
Just got off the phone with Springfield. The receiver was made in 92 as a receiver only. After that she really didn’t know much. So, it is a super match build. I guess I’d call that. She didn’t know who would of made that stock also.

That stinks there isn't any more information from Springfield. My Supermatch was built for Springfield by Glen Nelson in 1996. They sent him a receiver and he supplied the rest. What serial number is that receiver?

Being that it's a 1992, USGI parts should be all over that rifle. TRW bolt, reamed USGI flash hider with bayonet lug, USGI oprod, matching tuned trigger group, USGI rear sight components, etc.

How does it shoot? The barrel is probably a Douglas air gauged heavy 1-10 twist or Krieger.

• Love
The receiver was made in 92 as a receiver only.
The custom builder of your "Match" M14 may (or may not) have written their name or company logo inside the stock, possibly in the fore-end. Back in the late 80's and into the 90's another company was making some fiberglass stocks for custom builders like Old Corps or Accuracy Speaks. It was something like "Brown", or "Browning" precision stocks. Could be that stock, since it definitely isn't McMillan.

Regardless, short of having the original documentation, it doesn't really matter. Some aficionados will pay a (slight) premium for some builders like Glen Nelson or Hook Boutin. Back in the 80's and 90's there were lots of small shops producing M14/M1A match rifles for NRA Highpower. The NM AR had not yet been perfected and the M1A was highly popular.

It would be cool to know who built it. However, as long as it shoots good, it's good enough.

Last edited:
That stinks there isn't any more information from Springfield. My Supermatch was built for Springfield by Glen Nelson in 1996. They sent him a receiver and he supplied the rest. What serial number is that receiver?

Being that it's a 1992, USGI parts should be all over that rifle. TRW bolt, reamed USGI flash hider with bayonet lug, USGI oprod, matching tuned trigger group, USGI rear sight components, etc.

How does it shoot? The barrel is probably a Douglas air gauged heavy 1-10 twist or Krieger.
It has TRW bolt, HR trigger housing with TRW parts. Not sure on the op rod. Has a Krieger barrel. Hooded NM rear and front sights. It doesnt look like the flash hider is reamer out. No big deal on that. It has not been shot yet.

The custom builder of your "Match" M14 may (or may not) have written their name or company logo inside the stock, possibly in the fore-end. Back in the late 80's and into the 90's another company was making some fiberglass stocks for custom builders like Old Corps or Accuracy Speaks. It was something like "Brown", or "Browning" precision stocks. Could be that stock, since it definitely isn't McMillan.

Regardless, short of having the original documentation, it doesn't really matter. Some aficionados will pay a (slight) premium for some builders like Glen Nelson or Hook Boutin. Back in the 80's and 90's there were lots of small shops producing M14/M1A match rifles for NRA Highpower. The NM AR had not yet been perfected and the M1A was highly popular.

It would be cool to know who built it. However, as long as it shoots good, it's good enough.
The guy I bought the rifle from told me who built it. But I don’t remember his name. I could easily find out. He gave the builder all the parts and he put it together. Them Glenn Nelson guns were hammers. I shot one early on, in across the course matches. A couple of my friends have his guns. And they well not part with them.

I'm looking to replace the walnut stock on my super match. It really is 'chunky' and I would like to improve ergonomics. Any alternatives for the rear lugged receiver?
thanks!