• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Super Match

hooksz86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2011
panhandle of Oklahoma
So I have my socom ii that i really like but Have a friend that wants it just like I have it set up now. I was thinking the only way i'd get rid of it is to maybe get the super match. I just want to know from some guys that actually have one. How acurate they actually are. Just wondering how far out you can shoot moa or close to it with good ammo or good re-loads witch is what id be doing?

Re: M1A Super Match

Have a SM with oversized walnut stock (model #9102) and it shoots every bit as straight as I cam aim it.

When a scope is mounted and a good position is used it's a solid .5-.75 moa rifle with preferred handloads (Fed brass, 40.2 gr IMR 4064 lit by F210M's spitting out a 168 NCC at 2375).

I am overly confident that I, myself, am the week link in the chain. Can't wait to see what it can do when my Vortex Viper HS LR with XLR reticle arrives and is mounted.

BBB

Built my first NM in 75. A Devine Tx rifle and screwed on a USGI NM barrel (first run).. loved it. Since I'd bought at least a couple of dozen of those barrels, I had a very nice handload based on the Lapua D46 170 grain (Virginia team used the 185s). Given my mentor was a lead engineer at TRW Ordnance, I won't go over 175.

For current Match rifles, try to find one with a Kreiger barrel (medium grade). Very nice barrels and I use them these days. But be advised the chamber is a tight .308.

I prefer to build mine instead of buying one since I do some things differently. A good NM rifle can shoot sub minute all day long with a good handload and iron sights. My Devine was used out to 1000 yards. One of the Virginia guys shot 198 out of 200 at Perry 1000 yard match. That's iron sights. But we're the "old guard".

Oversized stocks are based on the PJ Wright stocks made for the USMC M14NMs. Interesting history on those. But they were also used for the McMillan M1A stock and the M25 stock forms.

PJ's stocks were ruled illegal, because of complaints by the Army and when Springfield Arsenal was called on this one, they dug out the original M14 stocks and ALL later M14 stocks as well as PJ's were technically illegal because they were oversized. End of conversation, they were very popular. The SAI commercial M1A stock is also oversized.

Longdistance, I've got a non NM M1A that shoots sub-moa. I've shimmed the gas system ($5) and put in a Sadlak guide rod ($50, I think) and that's it... If you're going for a NM, you should be in fine hands. Of course, for that money I'd go get a LRB M1A, much nicer weapon.

M1A's are great but need a great deal of support to keep accurate. The screw used to mount a scope base is attached to a hole that was designed to mount a grenade launcher sight. I tried 3 different mounts SA 3rd gen ARMS 18 and Sadlak ABN model and they all shot loose over time and wouldn't hold zero. Mine had a NM bbl and shot best when clean. Even using a dewey rod and rod guide that encased the FH the crown would get nicked whle cleaning. Every third cleaning I would remove the FH and polish the bbl crown. I also unitized the gas cylinder installed a Sadlak guide rod and bedded th stock...it still wouldn't shoot as consistently as an AR-10.

My Super Match started out as a standard grade but was converted (at guard expense) to a SM by Gene Barnett (Barnett Barrels), when he was an Armor for the NG MTU.

The Army and NG MTU used Bishop Stocks and Barnett used Douglas blanks to make his barrels back then (late 70s early 80s).

I don't use glass with mine. I have shot some dern good 1000 yard scores with mine when I was shooting for the Guard.

M1A%20_1_.jpg

I have a super match in a Mcmillan stock and I love it. Great gun and it has taught me a lot about shooting. Sadly its a bit heavy and I have a little more fun with my GAP .308 bolt gun.

insight3b said:
M1A's are great but need a great deal of support to keep accurate. The screw used to mount a scope base is attached to a hole that was designed to mount a grenade launcher sight.

No it isn't. The grenade sights were mounted drilling holes into the stock. Problem with the holes is that they're not all made to USGI standards for the 14.

>I tried 3 different mounts SA 3rd gen ARMS 18 and Sadlak ABN >model and they all shot loose over time and wouldn't hold zero.

I had a G&H mounted to my Devine for years. Never had a problem with it and never lost zero even when I slide the top strap off and put it in it's carrier.

>Mine had a NM bbl and shot best when clean.

Whose barrel? It does make a difference.

> Even using a dewey rod and rod guide that encased the FH the >crown would get nicked whle cleaning.

How in the world can you nick a crown with a flash suppressor on it? Dewey rods are coated, kinda hard to get a nick out of them. I have 4, started with a Parker Hale almost 40 years ago.

>Every third cleaning I would remove the FH and polish the bbl >crown. I also unitized the gas cylinder installed a Sadlak
> guide rod and bedded th stock...it still wouldn't shoot as consistently as an AR-10.

Chuckle, a unitized gas assembly doesn't make the rifle more accurate especially if done wrong and I've seen a lot of them done wrong. Unitized gas assemblies do NOT free float the barrel and that one came directly from TRW Ordnance who worked on the development of the M14 NM.

Not bad! I shot 1000 yards (and Palma) with a National Matched Devine. Did nicely. An old friend of mine shot 198 out of 200 at Perry (1000 yards). We both used the Lapua D46 bullets. I still have some.

Crown gets nicked by the jags and metal core portions of the bore brush. I never said a unitized gas system floated the bbl.
I would almost guarantee your crown is nicked too and if the M1A is still so awesome why doesn't it rule the firing lines at perry? I recall they made a special match just for the M1A so that these rifles would actually show up to compete and grace the firing lines of perry again.
Now back to that crown...loosen the nap of a q-tip between your thumb and forefinger. Insert is through the flash hider an run it along the inside edge of your muzzle...guaranteed some of the cotton has been pulled off by a burr on your crown

Lots of great information over on the M14 forum.

The M1A is a battle rifle that will shoot accurately out to 1000 yards. While it won't shoot bugholes, for all practical purposes,
the Supermatch should be capable of close to MOA performance (say 1-1.5 MOA) "on demand".
It is definitely capable of sub-MOA groups. But you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on the M14 forums
(a site dedicated to the platform) claiming they have a sub-MOA shooter.

I've held MOA out to 300 yards with my Springfield M21/M1A (essentially a Supermatch with an
adjustable walnut stock). My 2nd attempt/entry using my M21 of six groups of 5 rounds (30 shots) at 300 yards
averaged 1 MOA and is posted right here on the "Hide" in the 300 yard semi auto challenge. As Yogi Berra
said: "You could look it up." So far, I'm the only one who has attempted the challenge with his M1A.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...0yard-semi-auto-6groups-30round-shootout.html

I've also shot many sub-MOA groups out to 300 yards. But I wouldn't say mine is a sub-MOA shooter. I can rely on it
to consistently average around 1.25 MOA at 100 yards. I have held a little over 1.5 MOA all the way out to 600 yards for 10 shots - my best results. That's as far as I've shot it so far. My M21 and my SOCOM are the only .308 semis that I own and I am extremely happy with them both. If you like your SOCOM II, you'll love a Supermatch.

By the way, I use a Bassett Low mount on both my rigs and it is stable, doesn't work loose, and mounts in less than
2 minutes. A unitized gas assembly is universally recommended over on the M14 forum by builders and competitors as
one of the most important upgrades that contribute to accuracy. My understanding is that SAI blind welds the band to
the gas cylinder guide so a Supermatch should be "unitized".

Last edited: