• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Supermatch vs. Smith M-25

AJB

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2007
South Florida
I just sold my HK91 and I have 5,000 for my next project. I want an M-14, and am interested in either the Smith barreled actions dropped into a sage stock, or an M1A super match at a local shop, drop in the sage later down the road. Does anyone know how much the smith ones go for? and what is the wait time? I didnt get much from their site.

Any advice from anyone with personal experience would be greatly appreciated guys.

BTW before some recommends an AR-10 and hijacks this thread into an AR-10 discussion, I understand they are cheaper/more accurate and I dont care and dont want one.

Re: M1A Supermatch vs. Smith M-25

Appreciate the AR-10 comment..we all have our preference and I'm right there with you.

What are you looking for out of the rifle you want to build?

A. I do not believe a double lug Super Match will work with a Sage EBR Stock.

B. Why limit yourself to these two options? Ever consider getting an LRB receiver and having it built?

Good luck

I have an M1A loaded with the medium weight barrel still in the walnut stock. I have read there are issues with installing the medium and heavy weight barrels in the Sage stocks. I believe there is a work-around. You might want to contact Sage directly and inquire as what will really fit in there stocks.

I didn't think the Super Match was a double-lugged receiver, but either way I don't think it will work in the Sage.

LRB is the way to go for a custom build, especially the M25 if optics are a possibility.

My goal is a 1.5 MOA out of a M-14 DMR rifle. The most I need as far as range is 700 meters.

I do plan on mounting a 10X MK4 scope. Minus the scope, im looking to spend 3500 on the rifle.

Im not limiting myself to just two by any means. I just want to have this build done within the next 60 days before I move across the country. LRB is definatly an interest to me as well. Does anyone know how long LRB in a sage would take to have shipped to an FFL?

supermatch is double lug.a well proven performer,i love them.smith is supposed to be a step up.i have not had the oppurtnity to shoot one.(the smith)

I know its just me but I can't open up to the Sage stocks for a DMR.

I would probably build an LRB M25 on a Gen II JAE stock with your choice of 18.5" or 22" medium weight barrel. I have yet to disprove this because I'm waiting on a bedding job, but all M14 builders and match shooters have told me the kind of accuracy you are looking for at that range is not possible with anything other than a 22" barrel. We shall see soon enough.

Guess I will be calling LRB here soon. We have Mk14's in our armory and I know they perform 1.5 @ 100. I also know they have been able to man-sized steel silhouettes at 500 meters with the 18.5's consistently (that meets my expectations).

Mine is on the way back soon. It has an 18.5" barrel and I'm also waiting on a USO 1.8-10. Can't wait to hit 600 with it. I will also try some 155gr Scenars at 1000 over the summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajb008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My goal is a 1.5 MOA out of a M-14 DMR rifle. The most I need as far as range is 700 meters.

I do plan on mounting a 10X MK4 scope. Minus the scope, im looking to spend 3500 on the rifle.

Im not limiting myself to just two by any means. I just want to have this build done within the next 60 days before I move across the country. LRB is definatly an interest to me as well. Does anyone know how long LRB in a sage would take to have shipped to an FFL? </div></div>

Just in case it helps, I've got an SA Loaded M1A, and with 175 SMKs, I can group 1.1 MOA 5 shotters with irons if I'm very careful, 1.5 MOA if I'm a bit less so. Haven't tried it yet with optics, but it's probably well under MOA. So you may be able to get what you want for cheaper...

They actually make a fairly affordable Loaded model that could give you what you want right out the box:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=40

Monolithic rail, etc.

Food for thought...

I had a SA stainless loaded package M1A with a sage stock built.I had to order the medium weight barrel hand guard from sage and it bolted up just fine.
I had the gun blueprinted and worked over by Geoff Corn.He spent many years on the navy match van and worked at Crain.He is probably one off the top M14 smiths in the country.My rifle might be an oddity but its shooting consistent sub MOA.I have 180 rnds though it counting break in.So far it has shot in the .8's and got one 5 shot group of .75 . All of that was with fed GM 168's at 100 YRDS with a MK4 10X

LRB or Fulton seem to be catching my eye the most. I have heard of too many horror stories of SA M1A's. The supermatch caught my eye, its just im a little weary on SA quality.

I want this stick to be able to survive through the harshest environment, without being prone to failing parts. Thats why I ditched the HK, in crazy times I know I wouldnt be able to get parts if it did fail.

LRB solves the scope mounting issues and it can be built using USGI parts.

Thats the important factor USGI parts.

First thing i did was swap all of the SA Inc parts With US GI.
If you end up buying a SA check and see if you can field strip it.If you can check and see if the oprod will come off properly.If it wont pass on it.
I bought mine second had but unfired For $1250 got the stock used off of strum for $500 and sage charged me i think $175 for the hand guard.I think I had about $300 in the smith work.
I agree with your thought on the new SA rifles But if you can find one From the late 90's they seem allot better

Supermatch's are OK but they will not work on the sage stock.in my opinion you will be better off to buy a loaded package gun and spend the extra money on a top smith tuning the rifle.
On the supermatch i think after 89 or 90 the went to the double lug receiver and it wont work on a sage stock.Also your paying for the SM stock and bedding that is a wast of money if your changing stock.If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.I have owned way to many M1A's over the years everything from the devine tx guns to current and built them every way possible

SAI has the best warranty if you need it, You should research LRB's warranty and see what you think.

Wait until you see the Manners new stock. You must glass bed a M1a, trust me. Everyone wants a drop in, WHY? Take time and study more about the rifle you want to build. M1As have been around a long time so there is a lot of info on them. Get A old SA or LRB receiver. Built in scope rail is nice, but you will loose you irons. I have a M-25 built by TBA and 3 super match's from SA. I use the super match's for DCM shoots. Wait till after the gun show and get exact rifle you want.

Smith builds a good rifle.

I carried the M14 DMR briefly, and it was alright, but we shot them until the welded-on mounts broke, then sent them for repair. If you are set on an M14-type rifle, I really recommend the Springfield M1A Super Match. They're great rifles, and reasonably priced for what you get, in my opinion. I had a Sage stock (not on the Super Match), but didn't care for it all that much and sold it. For the bulk, I would rather have the standard Super Match stock, or, better yet, a McMillan stock.

DSCN0860.jpg

DSCN2321.jpg

Couple of thoughts for what they are worth to you:

1. Be willing to wait to get the exact rifle you want built by the exact smith you want. If you gotta have it now, buy a new SA Match and be ready to swap out any offending parts (like extractors) with USGI. Better yet - look for gently used Match with USGI parts. I have a ban era match that is all USGI and mainly TRW at that.

2. LRB - seriously decide if you want the M25 (built in rear mount) and loss of rear sight or if you want an M14SA w/ conventional rear sight. If you are looking to jump to the head of the line on an LRB - call Ted Brown and see if he can help; put the word out on m14tfl.com that you are looking for either a built gun or a receiver.

3. I have never had a steel Smith mount come loose. I guess they could if welded ones can come loose, but I have not had it happen.

4. Do some reading - take a LONG look at Fulton and ask yourself if you are paying premium money for less value than you are getting from a nationally known M14 smith.

I waited about a year for GAP to build me an LRB with all USGI parts, a Rock barrel and an MCM stock - outstanding shooter. The majority of the wait was waiting for LRB.

Along the way I also stumbled into a ban era SA Match - that shoots just as well....for cheap.

The point?

If you want something special - it'll probably take a while to get, but it'll be worth it in the end. Secondly, if your pokin around on the boards and you know what you are looking for there are some great deals out there right now. However, as one that has been casually looking - finding a Sage EBR stock that has the correct top cover for a med heavy wt barrel at the right price - this is a needle in a hay stack at this point. Clydes is supposed to have them in stock in March / April.

Good luck

Made up my mind, Im now on the search for a SA Supermatch with the MCM Camo stock and slowly replace parts with Sadlack and USGI. Although it seems I will have better luck finding a unicorn in my back yard, than getting one at a good deal locally or online.

Thanks for all of your input and advice guys.

Alan

If you're gonna get an LRB M25 receiver and eventually put in into a Sage, the front of the scope rail of the M25 will interfere with the rear of the top rail of the Sage. Some milling will be needed with this combo or the scope rail removed.

There you go get the mcmillan cammo supermatch. That will be a 1moa or under rifle w/ no prob. You will like the stock much better than the sage. I think a m1a is like a 1911, it was good from the start and modifing the lines of the gun is wrong. If you want something with a metallic stock and enough rails to mount all the stuff that doesnt belong on a rifle then get a ar based gun it will be cheeper and easier to accurise.

I agree I like simple and its been a while since I handled our MK14's. I handled an M1A in a sage yesterday, and the thought of that slung on my back seemed shity for any amount of time.

Im simply trying to reduce my collection to 3 guns now(besides antiques), and If I win this gunbroker auction, I will be a happy man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajb008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want an M-14, and am interested in either the Smith barreled actions dropped into a sage stock...</div></div>

You were on the right track all along. Have Smith Enterprise build an M21A5
Crazy Horse for you and put it in the SAGE stock of your choosing.
SEI can build on a Chinese, LRB or one of their new receivers when available.

My M21A5 Crazy Horse EBR is built on a heel stamped Poly Tech with a mix of USGI, SEI and Chinese parts.

3076.jpg

IMHO, the SA Supermatch with the MCM Camo stock pales by comparison.

Did you get 5k for your Hk91? If you did, that is a great sale, great job.

As far as the Sage stock goes, I think the setup is hot, but I would definitely handle one before you jumped into it just to be sure that it is for you. It is quite heavy, which isn't a big deal at all if you are just gonna shoot it prone, but if you wanted to carry it around and shoulder it, the Sage stock might be a deal breaker. H20 man knows his stuff when it comes to the M1a and the Sage stock. He has like a dozen of them or something, and they are all top notch. Definitely take his advice if you decide to go that route.

I recieved 4K for my HK91 I also had for sale here. It only sucked that it took about 10 months to sell.

I just bought a NIB SA MIA Supermatch with the McM Camo stock for 2600(everywhere else it was 3300). Thanks for all your offers and information

You did very well for yourself. Good luck with the new setup. Post some pics when it is ready

Next would be a Brookfield Precision base. Get the one of the hide in the for sale section. Then you will need to get you cheek up off the stock?

If it doesn't have a scope base already I'd look at SEI and Sadlak.

If weight is an issue consider the Sadlak aluminum or titanium mounts. FWIW the SEI steel mount weighs 11 oz.