• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A trigger

fast freddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
P.C. Florida
just got my new M1A in a sage stock, and it looks great but the trigger is horrible, the previous owner sent the trigger pack to SA and had it tuned to NM specs which is 4lbs or under and the weight is ok, but the takeup, break and overtravel are terrible, theres a full 1/4" of takeup on it! can this be fixed? and by who and what does it usually cost?

Mike

Re: M1A trigger

This may be a stupid question but you realized this is a two stage trigger. Assuming you do understand it's a two stage trigger, are you saying that after taking up the first stage there is another 1/4 inch of travel before the trigger breaks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a stupid question but you realized this is a two stage trigger. Assuming you do understand it's a two stage trigger, are you saying that after taking up the first stage there is another 1/4 inch of travel before the trigger breaks? </div></div>

+ 1 ......

ok that i wasnt aware of.i really just thought there was alot of travel in it. pretty much once you put youre finger on the trigger there is a 1/4" of travel before there is any resistance. if thats as good as it gets than ill learn to use it like it is. the sei just say is lowers the weight to 4.5# it doesnt say anything about the rest of it.

yep. got a NM trigger on my EBR Scout and it has maybe a little less than 1/4" of travel then resistance then a glass rod break. Love it.

What are you going to do with the rifle? If it will be used for target shooting (range) and not combat/service, there are many quality gunsmiths that can make it the way you want it, depending on what that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you going to do with the rifle? If it will be used for target shooting (range) and not combat/service, there are many quality gunsmiths that can make it the way you want it, depending on what that is. </div></div> It sounds like he wants a single stage trigger or was thinking single stage anyway. I don't believe you can do that with M1A/M14 triggers. At best you can get it down to 4.5# trigger pull but not single stage.. I have grown use to it and now have two stage triggers in the AR's to keep things consistent.

gotta shoot it a little more before i decide what to do with it. if i dont like it itll be for sale here and ill be looking for a POF 308. this is the fist M1A type rifle ive shot, so couple hundred more rounds should help decide.

If you are going to use it for NRA matches, 4.5 pounds is the minimum total trigger pull to release the hammer. It is a safety thing with the M1 Garand and M1A platforms.

4.5 lbs is it on an M14 Trigger. Any lighter and you will start sending more than 1rd downrange at a time. Can't do anything about the travel, it was a trigger designed for a battle rifle, precision was not in the design specs.

As semi's go a 2 stage is just what most want. During the sustained rapid fire you should be able to squeeze the trigger holding it back until the rifle settles back after the shot. Just releasing the trigger enough till the sear resets, and then you start your trigger squeeze again.

This gives you a very nice rythm to shoot the rapid fire strings.

A single stage triggers with heavier calibers has the risk of unintentional "bump" firing. The second stage is the safety factor.