• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1a

JWGILLAM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
asheville nc
I really want a M1a. however my wallet can't handle a SA. google pulls up something about a Polytech or Norinco, obviously not as good as SA but for me will work fine, whats the deal with these? are they not available in US. please don't slaughter me either.

thanks,

Justin

Re: M1a

My advice is wait until you can get the real thing. You would be very disappointed. If memory serves the knockoffs were made of very low strength metal.

The norinco is evidently an OK rifle. I agree on reading as much as you can on the Firing Line forum. www.m14tfl.com

I will say that the Springfields hold their value well. If you can, I agree with froggy. Save the pennies for a few more months and get the real deal...you can always get your money back out of it if you need to. That is as long as you take care of the rifle.

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

www.m14tfl.com has everything you could ever wanna know.... </div></div>

Right, and they will all recommend a LRB receiver with all USGI parts. If he can't afford a SA there's no way he can afford that.

But I agree it is the place for M14 info.

Wait until you can afford a SA.

+1<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Snyper762 said:
Wait until you can afford a SA. </div></div>

If you want SA and get the cheap one you probably wont be satisfied, at least that's how I am.

norinco and polytech recievers are actually really good. but what you would want to do is replace the bolt with a GI one and have the conversion done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really want a M1a. however my wallet can't handle a SA. google pulls up something about a Polytech or Norinco, obviously not as good as SA but for me will work fine, whats the deal with these? are they not available in US. please don't slaughter me either.

thanks,

Justin </div></div>

Polytech and Norinco M14s are great and their receivers are excellent.

Definitely get the GI bolt conversion performed.

I currently have four custom built M14s. Two use Norinco receivers and two use Poly Tech.
SEI is about to build a 5th rifle for me on another Poly Tech receiver.

Also, there are plenty of excellent sources of information on M14s and M1As here on the net.
Rifle-Company, the M1 & M1A section on AR15.com and The M14HDW Forum have what you are looking for.

where would you buy one of the Polytech or Norincos? I saw some sites in Canada that had them but nothing in the Us. Also I occasionally shoot with a guy that builds Custom M1as and 6mm br(x) rifles. I left him a message to call me bout how cheap he could get me a SA, or upgrading a cheap one over time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

where would you buy one of the Polytech or Norincos? </div></div>

Secondary market, private individuals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

where would you buy one of the Polytech or Norincos? </div></div>

Secondary market, private individuals. </div></div>
Wasn't it King George Bush I the goof who ended that party with a possibly-unConstitutional "import ban"?

I was always nervous about an ex-CIA guy running for President.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smith Ent.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">norinco and polytech recievers are actually really good. but what you would want to do is replace the bolt with a GI one and have the conversion done. </div></div>
interesting, how much is the gi bolt conversion cost and what all does it entail?

aren't the norinco's built on the same machines that built the US M14's, that is after the machinery was sold to china?

I was in the same boat a month ago. I was looking at the Polytech as a way to save some money. In the end, I determined it wasn't worth the $200-$300 savings. I bought a Springfield instead.

How do the Norinco/Polytech receivers compare to the LRB receiver in quality and durability?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do the Norinco/Polytech receivers compare to the LRB receiver in quality and durability? </div></div>

About the same... using the ChiCom receiver just leaves more cash in your pocket.

Good... Ron is finishing a rifle on an LRB I just sent him. I thought LRB was "the best" available at the moment...?

Ron and Andy are getting it done!