• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1D Garand (Reproduction?) Value

-Jake-

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2013
TEXAS
What might you fellas value this rifle at? The scope is an original M84 serial number 17177. No visible cartouches on the stock. Not sure how to tell if the muzzle break is real or fake? The barrel date is 5-44 so I'm pretty sure that makes this not an original M1D. However the barrel is in great shape. So whats a "good" deal on this? Every part I looked at was SA marked and it has a milled trigger guard. The trigger group's serial was 3 digits off of the bolt's serial. The optics did have a couple of noticeable spots in the upper right when looking through the scope. Thanks.

78d447de-a13e-4ec0-92d7-ceb68e7f4fb9_zpsd5e86646.jpg

2b49e707-ab73-43cf-8ed0-00856c45351a_zpse0d2f1fc.jpg

20140118_194619_zpsf5875192.jpg

20140118_200113_zps1a62e708.jpg

That's a nice rifle. I wouldn't want to guess the value, but with the original scope and mount it should go for a pretty penny with the popularity of the Vintage Sniper Matches growing in popularity.

If I were to sell it (which I never would) I wouldn't even consider less the $2500.

You might get a better idea from the CMP forums Garand section.

There is only one serial number on the Garand and that is on the receive heel. The numbers on the rest of the parts are drawing numbers and will not match.
Not near enough info on the rifle to give a accurate estimate. It appears to be a basic mixmaster so "if" barrel is in very good condition I would guess$800 max. Less if muzzle gages poorly orbore is dark.
If the scope is original USGI and glass is clear without black flacks internlly around $850
If mount is USGI $150

Only one person said pass on it.
Really boils down to what do you want it for?? If you just want a shooter and the barrel is good condition its a fair price.
What do common mixmaster standard Garands sell for in your area? Add on atleast $800 for scope, $150 plus for mount plus flashider etc. Whats your total?
Substantially more than $1500 right?

If you dont care about a sniper just want a Garand shooter,I would pass

Let me know where it is, I might just buy it.

I want a sniper to shoot, not collect.

CMP M1D - $1500
Scope - $800
Mount - $150 - $300

Only one person said pass on it.
Really boils down to what do you want it for?? If you just want a shooter and the barrel is good condition its a fair price.
What do common mixmaster standard Garands sell for in your area? Add on atleast $800 for scope, $150 plus for mount plus flashider etc. Whats your total?
Substantially more than $1500 right?

If you dont care about a sniper just want a Garand shooter,I would pass

I've got a sweet shooting Danish M1. I wanted it for a shooter, but without knowing who did the conversion, then it could have been a $1500 headache. Anyway my wife and I need to start saving more money to put towards grownup stuff. :p

Guys isn't that the M1C flash hider? The M1D's I have fired had the prong style. The stock appears to be a replacement. Even if the scope and mount were original I wouldn't go over 800. Looks to be just a shooter at best.

Guys isn't that the M1C flash hider? The M1D's I have fired had the prong style. The stock appears to be a replacement. Even if the scope and mount were original I wouldn't go over 800. Looks to be just a shooter at best.

M1D's used both types of flashiders

The rifle is worth the sum of it's parts.
M84 scope $800
GI Mount $150
Gi FH $50
M1 $700-$800
MRT Cheek piece ?
So assuming mount, FH, MRT cheek piece are GI and barrel gauges OK the sum is $1700-$ 1800. He would then have a clone M1D for $1300. Seems at least as good a deal as the 03A4 clones they are selling.

That is an M2 flash hider, used on the M1C and M1D. They can be found with thick brackets (early) and thin bracket (late).

My D has a thick bracket Hart M2.

The prong T37 is very late. A real one will be milled and rings like a tuning fork when struck... cast repros sound dull.

This actually may not be a bad deal. If you want it for a collector sniper, maybe not, but as a copy or shooter, maybe so. M1's have started going up quite a bit this past year. Service grades are not common at all in the $800 range, most lately seem to run in he upper 900's up to 1200 and some stupidly more. I doubt it is an original M1D, but could have a considerable value if the barrel is original, or not if a bubba made adapter for the scope mount. M84's seem to be running 750-1400 alone if original and in good shape. If the special parts are original parts, you would have a hard time building one like it for $1400. , even if you could find the special parts to put on a service grade. Also the C's and 'D's at least at the southe store have been pretty rough for the prices asked, and the are rifles only, no mounts, scopes, flashiders,etc.

As per Scott Duff the earliest observed M1D barrel was dated 5-51. Almost all M1D barrels are stamped with drawing number D7312555... barrels manufactured through fall 1952 had the drawing number stamped on the top of the barrel, after fall '52 it was stamped on the side next to the month/year of manufacture.

As per Scott Duff the earliest observed M1D barrel was dated 5-51. Almost all M1D barrels are stamped with drawing number D7312555... barrels manufactured through fall 1952 had the drawing number stamped on the top of the barrel, after fall '52 it was stamped on the side next to the month/year of manufacture.

i agree, the OP's barrel is not stamped D7312555 as noted above so it is not an M1D barrel unless the stamp is on th top of the barrel. Additionally the date stamp, 5-44 seems to early for a correct barrel.