• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M223 scope choice

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
I just bought a RRA predator pursuit, and plan on running the 69 or 77gr SMK with TAC. I am interested in the Nikon M223 scope, but it is setup for the 55gr @3420fps on the BDC reticle.
My question is how will the BDC reticle match up with the 69 or 77gr SMK at slower velocities and should I get the 2x8 or 3x12 model. I am new to the 223, and this is my first AR, so don't quit know how much magnification this caliber needs.
Is anyone using this setup and can coment on it?

Re: M223 scope choice

Don't get a BDC reticle. Ever!
How are you going to maintain that muzzle velocity for the life of your gun.
Get a scope you can calculate dope for no matter what ammo you are using or where you are using it. You can shoot it as far as you want with the proper tools. Once you figure out how to calculate holds past the subsonic range of you bullet, the capabilities are endless.
I watch my spotter get first round, cold bore hits on 12" plates at 800 meters with his 16" OBR lite with MK262 77gr.
The question is how far do you want to shoot?

What kind of rifle, how far are you going to shoot, and what are you going to be shooting at?

The Nikon 223 scopes aren't bad but depending on what you want to do with it there are probably better options for same or less money out there.

I'm with JJ on this one. BDCs are tied to a specific cartridge calibrated under a specific set of circumstances. It's better to have a "plain Jane" reticle and be able to calibrate any round than to have a bunch of chicken scratch obstructing the field of view. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with JJ on this one. BDCs are tied to a specific cartridge calibrated under a specific set of circumstances. It's better to have a "plain Jane" reticle and be able to calibrate any round than to have a bunch of chicken scratch obstructing the field of view. JMHO
</div></div>

So you're saying this:
Reticles_BDC_600_S.jpg

Obstructs more field of view then this:

Reticles_Mildot_S.jpg

Yes a mildot is easier to calculate hold over as it is more widely accepted and there are many tools to help. Nikon actually has free software on their website allowing you to input your load data and have it calculate the actual yardages for the reticle subtensions for all of their scopes, even mildot. Kind of nice. It's even available for the Iphone now.

I have a BDC Monarch and love it. Using the software I printed out a reference that I have with my rifle for quick reference.