• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 weapon system - Where did they carry the extra ammo?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I ended up lowballing and winning a remington 700 with an internal mag. This is my first precision rifle that is not mag fed, and this got me thinking about how ammunition access was handled before we had DBM and 10 round mags. The teams equipped with the M24 SWS were expected to carry 100 rounds of ammunition for the rifle. How was this carried? I assume that there were would be some emphasis on accessibility if needed.

Alternative question: Lets say you decided to shoot a club PRS match for fun with an internal mag rifle like the M24. How would you carry the ammo so that you could rapidly access it for each stage? I know the obvious answer is loops on a buttstock which gives you 5 or 6 extra. But what if you wanted more than that? Would you do something like an ammo wallet attached to the belt/vest/pack?

It's late, and I'm just thinking about this for fun.

I ended up lowballing and winning a remington 700 with an internal mag. This is my first precision rifle that is not mag fed, and this got me thinking about how ammunition access was handled before we had DBM and 10 round mags. The teams equipped with the M24 SWS were expected to carry 100 rounds of ammunition for the rifle. How was this carried? I assume that there were would be some emphasis on accessibility if needed.

Alternative question: Lets say you decided to shoot a club PRS match for fun with an internal mag rifle like the M24. How would you carry the ammo so that you could rapidly access it for each stage? I know the obvious answer is loops on a buttstock which gives you 5 or 6 extra. But what if you wanted more than that? Would you do something like an ammo wallet attached to the belt/vest/pack?

It should be a 5 round box. So if it were me, I’d load 5, and have bolt slightly over the first round. Drop a round in chamber as soon as on prop. So now you have 6 rounds.

I’d run two stage savers for a total of 4 rnds or something like a hoptic long bow quiver. I’d single fee eace round after six unless you practice loading the box extremely fast.

Not sure how feasible something like this would be but are there any wrist/forearm mounted round carriers you could use?

If for match use, you’ll definitely want rounds on the rifle or on your body.

Arm mounted will require the rifle to be grounded or left on prop to remove ammo from your arms.

On the rifle would be the fastest way to stay on the rifle and on the prop as long as possible.