• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 WEIGHT

Budrichard

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
The weight of an M24 is usually given about 12# without scope.
A commercial Remington 300 Win Mag is given at 8.5#.
Considering the recoil from a 300 Mag, I would rather shoot a 12# + rifle over an 8.5# rifle any day.
I have a Remington Model 7 AWR in SAUM and it’s just brutal to shoot.
I purchased it for bear hunting, sighted it in and never saw a bear on the one hunt I used it on, so it just sits.
So where is the weight difference?
Barrel profile?
Bedding?
Any insight appreciated!
-Richard

Mostly in the barrel. But just about everything on the 700 M24 variant is heavier than your hunting sporter.

Then you can add the rail/rings/sight blocks and the target optic.....which will likely be heavier.

Not sure as to why you choose to compare your Rem 7 against the M24.....they have absolutely nothing in common in design or purpose. Another hunting rifle....sure. But whatever.

Reactions: 45-90
Sorry for any confusion.
I do not have a 700 in 300 mag but the factory figure quoted is 8.5#.
My Model 7 AWR is a little more than 6# and with scope a little over 7#.
I do not want an 8.5# rifle before scoping in 300 mag.
I have a Model 700 with 20” threaded SS
IMG_5377.jpeg
barrel in 308 and with scope the recoil is tolerable.
So unless I know how one gets a Model 700 300 mag from 8.5# to 12#, I am not going to purchase one for target shooting.
-Richard

I have a model 7 in 350 Rem mag 20" barrel, weighs about 7.5 lbs. I shoot ot alot with every bullet I could find from 200 to 310 grains, and didn't find recoil objectionable...but put a muzzle brake on it anyway. Now its even better.
Also have the light factory 300WM, added a muzzle brake, so it too is easy to shoot.
I shot 70 rds of 50BMG on my 70th birthday, with a shoulder that has had 5 surgeries, that made the shoulder sore.
So I understand shoulder pain...
Recoil can be changed with weight, heavy barrels, heavy and weighted stocks, muzzle brakes. Add a muzzle brake the 7mm RSUM will be easier on the shoulder, and still easy to carry ....if that's what you're concerned with.

Let's see? Barrel weighs 6.3 pounds on the m24, you remingtons is 3-3.5. The HS stock on the m24 is over probably 3 pounds vs 1 for your remington.....
You've got to be able to see this stuff right? I mean really, it's pretty obvious.

The M24 also has a steel triggerguard/floorplate assembly. The usual bottom metal on Remingtons is aluminum.

This is an M24 profile Bartlein 28" barrel, in an aluminum chassis over 17 lbs with everything mag, muzzle brake, and heavy 3 lb scope. It's in 6 Dasher and a pleasure to shoot. A shorter 24" M24 in 308 would be just a little lighter...this is about 14 lbs without the scope.

Attachments

• 20240222_034604.jpg
    20240222_034604.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 27