• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Build Guide

Inletting nears completion.

SqhdzHo.jpg

how much work on the stock thus far?

how much work on the stock thus far?

Oh, about 3 hours on the action inletting. I'm onto the bottom metal currently. That will probably take 2 hours or so. I've got to recontour the underside of the stock to get a good fit with the bottom metal. Then the buttstock. In all, this stock is miles better than the last one I tried it on. Seriously, I'm very happy with what I got this time around.

The barrel channel on this one is near perfect. The last one was terrible. This ones buttstock is more oversized than the last one, but I'm cool with it. I really enjoy woodworking. Never knew I did until trying this M40 build.

I don't know. I listen to the classical music radio station and go into zen mode. Guess I'm pretending I'm making a violin for Vivaldi or something.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this. It'll be the last rifle I build or buy for probably a couple of years. It will be a perfect punctuation for this part of my life.

Oh, about 3 hours on the action inletting. I'm onto the bottom metal currently. That will probably take 2 hours or so. I've got to recontour the underside of the stock to get a good fit with the bottom metal. Then the buttstock. In all, this stock is miles better than the last one I tried it on. Seriously, I'm very happy with what I got this time around.

The barrel channel on this one is near perfect. The last one was terrible. This ones buttstock is more oversized than the last one, but I'm cool with it. I really enjoy woodworking. Never knew I did until trying this M40 build.

I don't know. I listen to the classical music radio station and go into zen mode. Guess I'm pretending I'm making a violin for Vivaldi or something.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this. It'll be the last rifle I build or buy for probably a couple of years. It will be a perfect punctuation for this part of my life.

Yeah, the 1st one Silverhill send me.... I spent 4 hours on it. The barrel channel was a crooked, but I made it work. Tons of inletting. Put so much work into it, pillars, bedding. The And you all saw the finish job I did on it. They sent me a replacement, but I have not gotten around to it yet.

I see course tool marks where the spring slides into the follower. But he is referring to the tabs to the left on photo #1. In photo #2 they appear to the right. Those appear to be bent over. Factory followers have these straight up.

Exactly. Maybe a quick fix to fit 5 rounds? Maybe the armorer didnt have a tool to grind them off...

Good job on the SH stock aur0ra145, looks good ;)

The M40 Swivel(s) Dissected...

Any prior and/or published reference to the M40 having a 1-1/2 inch sling swivel is inaccurate. It suggests that it's designed, for use, with a 1-1/2 inch sling.

Definitive information: The M40 sling swivel, in actuality, is a 1-1/4 inch swivel, with a "loop" that measures ~1-1/2 inch ID (manufacturing variation, notwithstanding [1.440 - 1.505]) and is designed,for use, with a 1-1/4 inch width sling.

- So it is said. So shall it be written. -

We will speak of the 1-1/2 inch M40 sling swivel, no more.

Thanks, MescaBug!

As for the sling swivels, they are 1-1/2". Outside 1.795" and 1.792".

Looks like the real deal to me. We know that its possible to reproduce the green anodizing, but you cant reproduce the 'patina'.

That scope is a beauty. Price/reserve is ridiculous. But thats the current market value for these scopes. Unfortunately, it is match to a specific receiver. Unless you can locate that rifle, it doesnt add any value to a M40 build.

Well, it at least looks like a rifle now. I'm going to start on the BLO tonight and continue the search for a front swivel.

Attachments

• M40 1.jpg
    M40 1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 50
  • M40 2.jpg
    M40 2.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 50
Do you need a threaded front swivel or wood screw? I think I have a spare 513T that I ordered from Numrich. Since I got that genuine M40 stock, I wont need that swivel anymore.

Rifle looks good!

Do you need a threaded front swivel or wood screw? I think I have a spare 513T that I ordered from Numrich. Since I got that genuine M40 stock, I wont need that swivel anymore.

Rifle looks good!

I've got the 513T wood screw. I'm looking for the threaded front screw. I think I've got a source for one but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Plus, there is always the gun shows, maybe I'll get lucky one of these times. Patience certainly pays off!

Img_0050.jpgImg_0047.jpgFor everyone with Silver Hill (now Gunville and Silver Hill Holding Co.) M40 stocks purchased around a year ago and prior, Rob's model had a slight cant between the receiver and barrel channel. I just talked with Rob and he's familiar with the problem. If you call him he'll tell you to send your stock back and he'll swap it out for one of his new one's that is correct. After looking at pictures of all the different stocks out there, I feel like his is the best profile out there (in my opinion). My '68 butt plate matched up perfect, the bottom metal almost dropped in with very minor inletting, and I really like the over sized "beefy" forend. Also, one of the biggest inconsistencies I've noticed with other maker's stocks is the either overly curved pistol grip, or the notch behind the pistol grip being too deep. Another great thing is, Silver Hill's stocks are currently only $175 and made with American Walnut.

Just my two cents worth.

I know nobody asked, but I thought I'd drop a couple pics of my build. I started with a '68 342'xxx action, just had my Schneider medium varmint barrel mounted, and am waiting for the stock to get back to me. The stock pictured is the old one with the slight cant. It's definitely been a long (and fun) journey.

Last edited:
The scope seller sold a J. Unertl 1-1/2" Target 'USMC-Sniper' telescopic sight (#220052044363) for $5100 in 2007. This should be an interesting auction.

Glad to see you got that barrel on. Looks good. Same to aur0ra145!

The scope seller sold a J. Unertl 1-1/2" Target 'USMC-Sniper' telescopic sight (#220052044363) for $5100 in 2007. This should be an interesting auction.

Glad to see you got that barrel on. Looks good. Same to aur0ra145!

Yeah, $5,100 might be a tad out of my range.

View attachment 34927View attachment 34928After looking at pictures of all the different stocks out there, I feel like his is the best profile out there (in my opinion). My '68 butt plate matched up perfect, the bottom metal almost dropped in with very minor inletting, and I really like the over sized "beefy" forend. Also, one of the biggest inconsistencies I've noticed with other maker's stocks is the either overly curved pistol grip, or the notch behind the pistol grip being too deep. Another great thing is, Silver Hill's stocks are currently only $175 and made with American Walnut.

Nice rifle! And good work on the stock ;)

I cant agree with the Silver Hill being the 'best' profile out there. Everyone that got one of these stocks had to put hours and hours of work on it. I dont consider this as being 'the best'. I personally got one last year, and it was awful. Far from being a M40 clone stock. No saying its not a good product, but its not the best. Most people were lucky because they have basic woodworking skills. If looking a 100% drop-in stock, dont get a Silver Hill. It wont fit, period. And its not finished. You have to buy some oil, supplies and whatnot to actually have a stock that ressembles a M40.

The Numrich stock is the closest. It is a perfect fit since it is actually a Remington product. That stock was used for the mid-80's police rifle. I dont think police departments had woodworkers fitting stocks to barreled action.

If lucky, one can find a plain ADL stock on eBay. No checkering, metal buttplate, heavy barrel channel (can be opened up if not).

Last edited:
Nice rifle! And good work on the stock ;)

I cant agree with the Silver Hill being the 'best' profile out there. Everyone that got one of these stocks had to put hours and hours of work on it. I dont consider this as being 'the best'. I personally got one last year, and it was awful. Far from being a M40 clone stock. No saying its not a good product, but its not the best. Most people were lucky because they have basic woodworking skills. If looking a 100% drop-in stock, dont get a Silver Hill. It wont fit, period. And its not finished. You have to buy some oil, supplies and whatnot to actually have a stock that ressembles a M40.

The Numrich stock is the closest. It is a perfect fit since it is actually a Remington product. That stock was used for the mid-80's police rifle. I dont think police departments had woodworkers fitting stocks to barreled action.

If lucky, one can find a plain ADL stock on eBay. No checkering, metal buttplate, heavy barrel channel (can be opened up if not).

All valid points. I've built a few flintlock rifles from scratch so a little woodworking never bothered me. Plus, I like the idea of doing the finish work on the stock as well. But I can also appreciate not having to do all these extras and having a drop-in as well.

... I'm looking for the threaded front screw. I think I've got a source for one but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Plus, there is always the gun shows, maybe I'll get lucky one of these times.

Patience certainly pays off!

Yes it does!! And, you have the satisfaction of knowing that you've put in the sweat equity and are making every effort to be as accurate as possible. No small accomplishment. Even doing the front swivel assembly, correctly, is a project in-and-off-itself.

Remember that blind squirrel that finds the nut? Well, it found one, only because it WAS LOOKING for one. There's a lot to be said for 'working hard.'

Don't hesitate to buy-out your sources "supply" of the 725 "Threaded Post" swivel.

Your M40 is coming along nicely- Congratulations!

All valid points. I've built a few flintlock rifles from scratch so a little woodworking never bothered me. Plus, I like the idea of doing the finish work on the stock as well. But I can also appreciate not having to do all these extras and having a drop-in as well.

Agree 100%. Being a part time luthier, I also enjoy working with wood. That makes a build a little more, challenging ;)

Agree 100%. Being a part time luthier, I also enjoy working with wood. That makes a build a little more, challenging ;)

Yup, unfortunately for me, this build has gone on long enough. Once I get the metal coated, final inletting, and find a suitable scope I'll be anxious to start shooting again. I really look forward to taking my M40 and '03a3 to local competitions.

Last edited:
Geez, I had know idea they increased in value this much. I been shooting the shit out of mine. I paid $1200 for it in 2006 new.

Given the choice, would you gents choose the original green Redfield scope or the used Remington M40 commemorative rifle (links below)? I ask because they both sold yesterday and both fetched around $4,000 each:

M40 Commemorative USMC Remington 700 Sniper Rifle : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Original USMC 3x9 Redfield for The Early Remington M40 Sniper Rifle | eBay

Since the Remington (as nice as it is) is still just a clone, There's not going to be that much difference between theirs and mine. Since the majority of parts on my clone are from '68, an original M40 scope would be the finishing touch on my build. But that is just my opinion.

Something is always worth what a single individual is willing to pay. I looked at buying a Remington Commemorative Clone but in the end I felt doing a clone myself using true era parts would be worth more sentimental wise. That's just my opinion.

Neither the SSA or the scope is worth $3000. But most people don't realize the SSA is a 40x rifle and to have a actual M40/M700 with the right scope is desirable. Maybe that is why people are willing to pay that much. I put a couple of gen 1 scopes on my mine and they are fun but I went back to a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x for recreational shooting. After all, the scopes are over 45 years old. They didn't hold up new and I suspect they will bomb out under stress so they go in the closet and when it comes time to retire the rifle I'll put a green one on it. It will increase the value, obviously. :)

How many coats of BLO are ya'll using? My barreled action is at the gunsmith getting cut down to size so all I've got to play with is "that fucking stock" as its come to be known.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The M40 Forearm... a closer look

The forearm on the M40 (this is an SSA) is a lot slimmer/trimmer than many think, or would like...

pix426892324_zpsa0017c54.jpg

pix527391135_zpsa07f2f63.jpg

pix841095985_zps45407454.jpg

Those clone reproduction stocks leave plenty of extra wood to take away, to get to this.

An original for comparison:

REMM700-40X_USMCM40_zpsb84f2a24.jpg

Last edited:
There was 1200 produced not 1000. Also these stocks are slimmer than the pics indicate. There are plenty of other images on the net to compare .

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Amendment: See Post(s) #981 and #983 - Remington M40 Commemorative SSA LTD edition of 1,200 to possibly 1,500 units and not 1,000.

I've not seen, nor found, any reference to a 1200 unit production, but the SSA SN on this Commemorative rifle certainly lends credence to that. Was the Leupold Commemorative scope a LTD SN edition or open production? If LTD, was it to 1,000 or 1,200? Just curious, as I understood there was a direct/equivalent relationship.

There was 1200 produced not 1000. Also these stocks are slimmer than the pics indicate. There are plenty of other images on the net to compare .

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
There is even a mention of 1500 units on Chuck Mawhinney's own web site. I always thought it was 1000.

"For many years Vietnam era snipers like Chuck, as well as hobbyists and collectors have attempted to build and/or procure an M40 rifle so they could relive that time and revel in the weapon that served them so admirably. In 2004 the USMC Scout Sniper Association (SSA) approached Remington in the hopes that this rifle could be manufactured once again as a special commemorative product for this niche market. As a result of many individual’s efforts, this rifle was released to the public via the SSA and approximately 1500 were sold. The one issue that plagued this initial effort was the lack of synchronicity between the various individuals and companies, thus when the rifle was released it was done so without a comparable optic and as such was an incomplete piece."

+1 Mescabug

+2 MescaBug... and I'll amend my above posting to reflect a 1200 to possibly 1500 unit LTD production.

To be be fair, the number 1,000 is most definitely wrong, as the above photo, of SN. SSA1045, clearly demonstrates, BUT it is also THE number used in virtually every general reference and marketing/sales description of the Commemorative.

Last edited:
I can't find the certificate right now but I believe the project was a joint venture between Remington, Iron Brigade Armory, and the SSA. There was also Leupold that was late on delivering the scope and Badger that reproduced the base and rings with the correct MOA built in. The latter two didn't make it on the finished rifle but they are now available through SWFA.

http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/298/Leupold_USMC_w_Badger2.jpg

Per SWFA:

"Stock # - 30669B

1" Rings
Fits Current Remington 700 Rifles

Badger Ordnance has made a limited run of Replica M40 Redfield Style rings and base. These are exact replicas with the exception of the Redfield markings. These are made to fit current production Remington M700 rifles. They are not to be used on rifles with an “A” prefix serial number or older. They come assembled and ready to bolt on."

... and Badger that reproduced the base and rings with the correct MOA built in. The latter two didn't make it on the finished rifle but they are now available through SWFA.

http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/298/Leupold_USMC_w_Badger2.jpg

Only current production Remington 700's... and that's the rub.

Bummer dude... So, the ONLY viable alternative if building a Type-1 M40, is finding an original Redfield 40X mount, or locating a Redfield 722 "Patent Date" mount and either using 'as-is' and/or modifying it.

Last edited:
All the old bases people have been using fit current production rifles. What is the period for "A" prefix rifles? I believe A prefix rifles are mid 1970-1980 before the M40 and after the M40 SSA. It doesn't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Badger made Non Prefix and Prefix spec Mounts. You had to let them know what you wanted to insure you got the correct mount.
The originals were the non prefix six digit sn receivers, so for the spec tribute rifle guys, you needed the non prefix mount. All others the prefix mounts.

Last edited:
So, a Badger M40 mount box, as identified below, would be suitable for the SSA Commemorative?

Badger_M40Mount_zpsdf73a79c.jpg

How are the "Current Model" boxes identified? Anybody have one of these "Current Model" mounts and/or boxes that we could get a photo of?

Badger made Non Prefix and Prefix spec Mounts. You had to let them know what you wanted to insure you got the correct mount.
The originals were the non prefix six digit sn receivers, so for the spec tribute rifle guys, you needed the non prefix mount. All others the prefix mounts.

Yes, that is what I have mounted on the SSA. What you have pictured there. "Alpha/numeric S/N only" The older Redfield, long and short, bases fit it as well. I have mounted all three at different times. The rear has two holes for the mount. One for short base and one for long base.

Ok, thought I would mix things up a bit for fun...lolol
So one of the times EODCAM and I were hanging out at PWS last year we were snapping some pics of rifles from "The Rolling Rack".
This is a pic of one of the only two original Vietnam M700's they have left in the shop.
I took it because I knew it would stir things up a bit here. Reason being, just about the time we all thought we had seen every configuration of the Vietnam "M40/700" something pops up to let you know that "Spec" should be loosly used when it comes to refering to these rifles....lol

Sooooo, here is another configuration to contradict what we have known as the norm with these beautiful sticks (and upon asking it was told that this rifle is in the same condition now as it had come in).
-Laquored/varnished Stock
-Upside down "Medium" (unlike the low 4 screw "low" rings we are use to seeing) rings.
-Gen 2 Redfield spray painted black

On page 220 of the "One Round War" it speaks of Marines painting their scopes black in order to help reduce corrosion.

Attachments

• The 40.jpg
    The 40.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 57
Just reviewed the SWFA web site and they show a SSA with a Badger mount/ring set and the Leupold Commemorative scope (expand the photo.) Does this mean that the mounts they have available will fit the SSA?

http://swfa.com/images/USMC_Scope_Mounted_M40_1500x.jpg

I'm going to send them an email. Badger's web site doesn't show this mount, at all.

Yes, that is what I have mounted on the SSA. What you have pictured there. "Alpha/numeric S/N only" The older Redfield, long and short, bases fit it as well. I have mounted all three at different times. The rear has two holes for the mount. One for short base and one for long base.

So one of the times EODCAM and I were hanging out at PWS last year we were snapping some pics of rifles from "The Rolling Rack".
This is a pic of one of the only two original Vietnam M700's they have left in the shop.
I took it because I knew it would stir things up a bit here. Reason being, just about the time we all thought we had seen every configuration of the Vietnam "M40/700" something pops up to let you know that "Spec" should be loosly used when it comes to refering to these rifles....lol

Sooooo, here is another configuration to contradict what we have known as the norm with these beautiful sticks (and upon asking it was told that this rifle is in the same condition now as it had come in).
-Upside down "Medium" (unlike the low 4 screw "low" rings we are use to seeing) rings.

On page 220 of the "One Round War" it speaks of Marines painting their scopes black in order to help reduce corrosion.

Whats Up Brother? Want to stir it up more? That scope was a Redfield Royal, how many times has anyone seen that mentioned? :)

Just reviewed the SWFA web site and they show a SSA with a Badger mount/ring set and the Leupold Commemorative scope (expand the photo.) Does this mean that the mounts they have available will fit the SSA?

http://swfa.com/images/USMC_Scope_Mounted_M40_1500x.jpg

I'm going to send them an email. Badger's web site doesn't show this mount, at all.

Call Badger tell them what you have and the guys will let you know what you need.

Baaahaaa.....Thats right EOD...Forgot about that!!!

Amendment: See Post #998. Ref: USMC Precision Weapons System

I view (think)... the rings, on that one, are just "filler material" on a display piece. The Medium" height Redfield rings, with Torx screws mounting from the bottom, put them in M40A1 territory.

A black spray painted scope is 'jake' - researched and referenced. Interesting, to note, that the scope isn't correct either.

Last edited:
I view (think)... the rings, on that one, are just "filler material" on a display piece. The Medium" height Redfield rings, with Torx screws mounting from the bottom, put them in M40A1 territory.

A black spray painted scope is 'jake' - researched and referenced. Interesting, to note, that the scope isn't correct either.

That is actually the second royal scope I've seen from and on an m40 that was spray painted. The point of the whole thing is just because it was in a book, doesn't make it an absolute. It's probably not referenced anywhere that a coke can and seven up can were different thicknesses and were used to shim 1911 sights. But some old school 12's used them to do so. Trying to research what's spec and what's not, is not an easy task. It really depends on the mood of the 12 who built the weapons, and what tools/parts were in an arms reach at the time. We also have seen A1's with super grade Winchester bottom metal. That's not mentioned in books but they are on the guns. That's what make USMC Precision Weapons awesome, they are built by Marines for Marines and they each have their own character.

Last edited:
Agreed. There are a lot of examples on the M40A1 build thread of Marine ingenuity.

For this threads 1000th post I present to you my commemorative M40. With the help of ya'll, this rifle was possible. Thanks a bunch! Can't wait to get it to the range.

UxGUws6.jpg

Last edited: