• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Build Guide

Re: M40 Build Guide

Joker that is a great looking action. Mike does great work but he does take a long time. What stock are you going to use and where did you get it?

I do have one question, we say that the barrel is 24", now is that that the overall or is that measured from the recoil lug? I ask this because the M40a1/a3 actually use 25" barrels but say 24 because its measured from the recoil lug.

Douglas is calling my barrel a 25", but it is 24" from the recoil lug forward.

USMC Grunt, thanks. The stock I am planning on using is one off a 1977 700 ADL that I have been working with. It's not finished yet, but it is opened up for the BDL bottom (but not the barrel; I wanted to wait until I had that in hand to fit it correctly) and the nose still needs reshaping. It may not be 100% correct as a clone, but it is going to be about as close as I can.

I measured my M40 from Remington and its only 23" from the recoil lug. Very interesting. Has anyone done the clipslotting themselves? I have a mill and I wanted to do it myself. Is this a hard operation to do or not?

USMC Grunt, Mike_I here on the Hide, has a set of the original blueprints for the clipslot. There does seems to be several different clipslots on orginal rifles out there. Joker Laus work looks very very good, much better than what I had done on my rifle. And overall barrel lenght should be 24 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Douglas is calling my barrel a 25", but it is 24" from the recoil lug forward. </div></div>

Barrel length is measured from the bolt face to the muzzle. So Douglas would be correct your barrel is 25"

So then, an original M40 barrel would be 24" (23" from recoil lug)? I guess it's better to start out too long, than too short. The barrel and action will be going to Mike Lau as soon as I have everything and I'm sure he knows exactly what to do.

If its going to Mike Lau I wouldn't worry, I see your rifles serial number is high, I might discuss what markings to put on the barrel though.

Yea, I was wondering about the markings myself. I actually have two receivers now, the 321,xxx and a 266,xxx. I am thinking about using the 266 for my first build, the M40. What's your opinion on the markings? Would you use 7.62 NATO or a date code? I actually like the 7.62 NATO marking. I don't think a guy can go wrong with that one.

I'm thinking about building an M40A1 with the 321 receiver, but that will be down the road some time.

Thanks, Greg V

On the 321 definitely 7.62 NATO, the other I think could be a toss up, I really do like the date code and inspector marks, those I think really set the earlier barrel apart.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that myself. Does anyone already have a set of stamps to do the barrel markings with the proof stamps, date codes, "U.S." receiver stamp, etc. or ideas/experiences with doing these successfully on a clone? I was thinking about the electric-etching type engraving process, but I'm not sure how well that would do for these. Also, I was waiting to see what Douglas sends to Greg- is it going to be unmarked, or will it have some sort of "Douglas" stamp on it? I was hoping to get something plain to work with. Also, I wonder what sort of crown it will have? I know the originals had the flat crown with that lip around the edge.

Boy, I never even thought to ask them if it would be plain, with no markings. I'm with you, I want to start with a "plain" barrel. Douglas told me that they would put a flat crown on it, but TBA will have to cut and crown it anyhow, as I believe it will come too long.

I dont know how many people would have the stamps to do the inspector codes and all that. Barrel blanks are just that, blanks with nothing on them at all. Your gunsmith would have to thread, chamber, and crown the gun. There are other ways you can get them but if you just order a barrel blank thats pretty much what is it, your gunsmith does the rest. The next M40 build Im going to do stamp it 7.62 NATO. The U.S. part Mike will do and the U.S. is only done on the 6 digit receivers. Original M40 and then when they were redone to M40a1.

I have seen some of the stampwork (for want of a better word)that Mike Lau has done and it looks very good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a manual mill to do the clipslotting, go slow and it comes out fine. If anyone needs the drawings I have them </div></div>

Does manual mill = file?

My Douglas barrel arrived today. It is 25" in overall length, threaded and chambered for .308. There are no stampings anywhere. The crown is wrong, but that doesn't matter, as the barrel is an inch too long and will have to be cut and re-crowned anyhow.

Measurements are as follows:

first 2.5 ins. from recoil lug forward = 1.260 ins. dia.
next 3.5 ins. in length tapers to .930 dia
then it tapers down to .835 at the 24 in. mark. (23 from recoil lug). Pretty close to the correct .830 spec at the muzzle.

Here's the order info: 308 WIN REM 700 M-40 X 25" 10 FTC CM
CM is for chromoly and 10 is for 1/10 twist. This barrel is a little bit different than their Remington 007 Varmint contour.

Let me know if you need any more info. I talked to Stan at Douglas (304) 776-1341

Douglas Barrel #1

Douglas Barrel Crown

Greg V

Was the bdl trigger gaurd/floorplate assembly on the m40 aluminum or steel? Also, what kind of finish did it have? It looks to me that its a gloss blue finish. I'm not sure though.

Aluminum as Remington had only started making the BDL hinged floorplate for the 700 since 62. At that time the floorplates were more of a flat black finish, not gloss until a few years later. Steel parts were parked.

I have two aluminum butt plates that Im going to use on M40 builds but I dont have the correct screws for them. Can someone tell me where to get them at?
Thanks

Don't know if the screws are much different than the later plastic butt plate ones or earlier 721/722 ones???

The correct aluminum butt plate for the M40 era guns is stamped 16601 on the underside. Just in case you didn't know.

I didnt know that but I checked them and they are correct. Im trying to avoid taking one of the screws out of my Remington M40 and to go the stores to see if one matches. Wonder if you could get one from Brownells or Midway. If not then going to gun shows and see.

I'm curious about something... and maybe this has been covered. I was looking online for pictures of original M40's when I came across one that was auctioned by the CMP. As I looked at the pictures I noticed the scope base appears to be incorrect. It has rounded corners. I don't think I'd fork out $36,000 for that. Even if I had it laying around... Which I don't! I guess the CMP gets a little wiggle room because of who they are??? It's still a very nice looking M40 but I can't help but wonder about that.

Could have been one of the later ones with a later base. The first shipment of 700 in '66 had the 40X marked square cornered base, later ones meant for other entities besides the Corp could have almost anything. As long as it was/is a military related dept it would still be returned to Anniston I would think. The last yr any M40ish type rifles was made by Rem was 73.

Interesting... I didn't realize they could have gone to other entities. But it makes sense that they would have used whatever Redfield sent them in later years. Bottom line is: They really weren't thinking about "correctness" for later collectors, so I guess CMP is the best provenance you're gonna get.

The rifle auctioned by CMP was what I believed to be a USMC presentation rifle of which apparently 3 or 4 were made in the late seventies,(pages 261 & 262 of Senichs One Round War). The other pictures of these rifles that I have seen they were all 1969 era rifles, with the bases, rings and scopes added later and so marked in order for the rifle to be a representation of the issue M40. With regards to the CMP rifle sold for $36000, Martin Bordson of Badger Ordinance states that particular rifle is an Air force rifle not a Marine gun, apparently he has access to the DOD registry and had a book in the works about them.

I hear that a lot of guys use Wichita swivels on their M40 clones. I didn't think that Wichita started making their swivels until the 70's. I've seen a picture, in Senich's book, of an original M40 with what looks like Remington 513T type swivels installed. The 513T swivels that I have are 1&1/2 ins. wide (inside). On the early M40's, were the wood screw type used on both the front and rear? Were they 1&1/4 or 1&1/2 in. ?

Thanks, Greg V
NewImage-2.jpg

Greg that is correct, Wichita did not get a contract with the USMC until 1970, if you check page two off this thread I have posted a few pictures from Chandlers book showing this. Those swivels pictured above off a Reminton 40X or 513T are good to go and 1 1/4 would be correct for the inside diameter. I saw a set for sale on Ebay that had both machined and wood screw and they were not Wichita.

mjh-Have thought for a long time that the M40 did not have Wichita's. However I have never seen an original stock in hand to confirm and had no real proof other than my gut so have never mentioned my opinion. Don't post unless I am 99% sure and didn't figure the net needed more speculation and rumors. Too much BS,speculation, guesses, hunches and those just wanting to be thought right.
smile.gif
Thanks for the clarification!

Respectfully,
Dennis

I'd like to re-visit the clip-slot issue. I thought I read in this thread that before 1966 the so called clip-slot was actually just a rectangular slot that allowed for easier loading. I have a receiver (serial number 105XXX) that has the military style clip-slot. The rifle is an M40 clone that was built on a 6 digit receiver but the clip-slot is original. Isn't that number too low to be a 1966 receiver? And if so, it kinda' shoots a hole in the clip-slot theories... Doesn't it? Or did I misunderstand something?

Your SN number is mid to late 64. The rear bridge had a cutout in the 721/722 series recievers and that carried over into the early 700's. Best I can figure SN wise is this square machined slot(not technically a clip slot) was discontinued around SN 200,000?

Post a pic of the rear bridge and I will bet it is NOT a real clip slot like the M40 rifle and 40-X repeater actions were manufactured with. If it is it was either sent back to Remington or machined by someone other than Remington.

I'll post the pic tomorrow when I'm not using my iPod touch... But it's definitely the military clip-slot. Not the square cut-out. I've seen pictures of both. And isn't the square cut too deep to make it look like the military cut? I could be wrong about that because I can't find the picture I saw of the square cut.

Yea, remember reading somewhere that the early recievers with the cutout prevented a 'proper' clip slot like the 40-X used to be machined into the rear bridge. Can't remember who posted it though. Your reciever could indeed have a correct clip slot but it wasn't because of the M40 rifle project I am near positive?

Here's the picture of the clip-slot on serial number 105XXX. It's the only angle I could get without removing the scope and mount. Please excuse the dust! The camera flash really lights it up.
t65v9u.jpg

Looks like it may be correct from the view you provided. Other than information provided by the owner if they have no documentation to prove it is/was military issue I don't know how you would verify/prove if it was done by Remington or whomever??? Ya got me on this one?

I'm sure it's not an original M40 receiver. I have an email sent to the guy I got it from to find out if he had the clip-slot done or if it came that way originally. I'm curious because of the low number. I know that the guy I got it from had the rifle put together with a mix of original and reproduction parts (at least that's what he claims). I don't know enough about the M40 to know what parts are "right" and what parts aren't but I definitely like the look of this rifle better than the SSA M40 I used to have.

The only marks on the barrel are "7.62 Nato" and a Heart (not upside-down) right next to it. The barrel is free floated but there is no glass bedding. The side of the trigger housing is marked "USMC".

It's a neat rifle and I traded into it very reasonably so anything negative I find out won't make much difference to me. I just hope it shoots well!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I got an email from the original owner and the receiver was already clip-slotted when he got it. Hmmm...</div></div> There are two different clipslots i,ve seen on here,,, 1 type of clipslot is on page 1 of the m40a1 build guide, thats looks to be maybe done my remington, the other type of clipslot is on page 15 of the same m40a1 guide, that was cut by the usmc to accept the lugged unertl mount, as stated by J.rose. ya'll can take a look and see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwhite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I got an email from the original owner and the receiver was already clip-slotted when he got it. Hmmm...</div></div> There are two different clipslots i,ve seen on here,,, 1 type of clipslot is on page 1 of the m40a1 build guide, thats looks to be maybe done my remington, the other type of clipslot is on page 15 of the same m40a1 guide, that was cut by the usmc to accept the lugged unertl mount, as stated by J.rose. ya'll can take a look and see. </div></div>
Yes... With all due respect, the M40 is a completely different animal than the M40A1. The clip-slot on page 1 of the M40A1 thread is the same one the M40 should have. The original question was in regard to when it was first seen on Remington Model 700's. M40 or otherwise. But thanks for weighing-in.

I have two 6 digit Remington 700 receivers, a 266,xxx and a 321,xxx. Both trigger assemblies appear to be identical, except for the sears.

The 266, which is an ADL, has a two pieice sear and the 321, which is a BDL, has a one piece sear. I hope I am describing them correctly. Anthow, did the sear type change between Feb. and Dec. of 1967, or is it just possible that the later one was changed out at one time? I am using the date codes that were on the barrels of each rifle when I got them. I am thinking that the barrels were original to the receivers, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks, Greg V

Apr302011016.jpg
Apr302011014.jpg
Apr302011012.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two 6 digit Remington 700 receivers, a 266,xxx and a 321,xxx. Both trigger assemblies appear to be identical, except for the sears.

The 266, which is an ADL, has a two pieice sear and the 321, which is a BDL, has a one piece sear. I hope I am describing them correctly. Anthow, did the sear type change between Feb. and Dec. of 1967, or is it just possible that the later one was changed out at one time? I am using the date codes that were on the barrels of each rifle when I got them. I am thinking that the barrels were original to the receivers, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks, Greg V

Apr302011016.jpg
Apr302011014.jpg
Apr302011012.jpg
</div></div>

I just want to say this and I say this out of jelousy, you are a lucky bastard to have not one but two 6 digit actions. DAMN!!

Thanks! I do agree, I got very lucky! I'm planning on doing and M40 clone and an M40A1.

Remington went to the single sear sometime later '67 IIRC. Not sure of exact serial number or even if Rem could/would tell you the exact SN when change occured. As they didn't build the recievers numerically you could have a bit later SN that has a several hundred number later action with 2pc sear.

Not much help I know but doubt you will get anything solid as to the change day/serial number.

Edit to make clear what I was thinking vs what I was typing.lol

Thanks, that does help, as the two piece sear is on the earlier, 2/67 ( barrel date ) rifle and the single sear in on the 12/67 rifle.

Another question came up on my build. This afternoon my barrel came in from Douglas. It looks great, except for a problem. When I screw it into my 6-digit receiver, add my Badger early pre-suffix mount and Redfield scope, the bottom of the front scope bell touches the top of the barrel. I mean, you can't even slip a piece of paper between the two. Douglas advertised this barrel as being the M40 profile, and all the other parts are correct for the M40. Am I missing something? The ONLY thing that might be doing it is I have the scope in the original correct Redfield rings on the Badger base. I am going to try swapping those around to see if it helps. But otherwise, just how much gap is there "supposed" to be between the scope and the barrel on these originally? I'd hate to complain to Douglas if the problem is on my end. But this looks like it'd shatter the front lens if I ever tried to shoot it this way. I'll try and add some pictures shortly.

Oneshot, I was under the impression that the original clipslot had three seperate machined cuts that one could see. An unobstructed picture from the top and I could probably tell if it was a square cut modified. Pvt Joker, whats the barrel diameter at 24 inches, it shouold be 830, anything else and its not going to fit, doesn't sound like its the right contour, there was at least 1/4 inch gap between objective bell and barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pvt.Joker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question came up on my build. This afternoon my barrel came in from Douglas. It looks great, except for a problem. When I screw it into my 6-digit receiver, add my Badger early pre-suffix mount and Redfield scope, the bottom of the front scope bell touches the top of the barrel. I mean, you can't even slip a piece of paper between the two. Douglas advertised this barrel as being the M40 profile, and all the other parts are correct for the M40. Am I missing something? The ONLY thing that might be doing it is I have the scope in the original correct Redfield rings on the Badger base. I am going to try swapping those around to see if it helps. But otherwise, just how much gap is there "supposed" to be between the scope and the barrel on these originally? I'd hate to complain to Douglas if the problem is on my end. But this looks like it'd shatter the front lens if I ever tried to shoot it this way. I'll try and add some pictures shortly. </div></div>

Is Douglas referring to the M40 profile as being Remington Varmint taper for the M40 USMC rifle or M40 profile as in Remington 40-X?? Big difference! If their "M40" is same as the Remington Varmint contour then how much material/what is diameter of rear shank for how many inches? The Remington Varmint contour starts to taper immediately from 1.250" with no straigt cylinder portion. Also are your Redfield rings medium or low? Medium was correct height.

Dennis, that would explain why the objective is touching the barrel, and ring height was low, medium on M40A1

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

031.jpg

029.jpg

OK; I've got a couple of more pictures, but this gives a pretty good view of what is going on with it. I'm not sure, but to me it looks like a barrel maybe for an M40A1 version? I told them what I was doing with it and which version I needed, and this is what they sent me. Too late to call them back tonight, but I will give them a call in the morning and see what they can/will do about it. But I wanted to post here first and ask if I was just missing something on my end first. Thanks.