• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Build Guide

ncoutdoorsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Guys, as many of you know I am doing my best to build an accurate clone. I gave up the project a while back due to financial reasons but now, i'm back at it again.

I would like start a build guide for the original M40. And I could use some help to make this as accurate as possible. Theres already a build guide for the M40A1 but since they have some vast differences I thought this guide would help others like myself building their clones.

I will keep this list updated as we discuss the details. Much of this list is credited to Peter Senich's "One Round War". If you are considering a clone of your own, I highly suggest buying a copy.

Let's get started.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock</span>
Walnut, Sporter-type w/ integral cheek rest (Monte Carlo cheekpiece).
ADL type w/ 5-round BDL-type magazine.
No fore end tip or grip cap.
13-3/8" Length of pull (factory standard)
Factory aluminum floorplate
No checkering
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel</span>
7.62mm (.308)
Remington Varmint Weight & Contour (aka "medium weight")
1-10 Twist
24" Length
.830 Muzzle Diameter w/ Flat Crown
Stamped "7.62 NATO" only AFTER being rebarreled at depots.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Action</span>
Remington 700 Short Action
Serial Range 168,179 -- 322,769
Marked "U.S." above the serial
Standard recoil lug
Clip Slotted

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope(s)</span>
1st Gen. Redfield Accurange 3x9x40
Marked "3x-9x Redfield 1" Tube"
Utilized the "tombstone" rangefinder from 200-600 yards.
Fine Crosshairs
Anodized Green finish
electro penciled with full rifle serial number

2nd Gen Redfield Accurange 3x9x40
Marked "3x-9x Redfield"
Utilized the "tombstone" rangefinder from 200-600 yards.
Fine Crosshairs
Satin Black finish
electro penciled with full rifle serial number

<span style="font-weight: bold">Finishes</span>
Barreled actions were parkerized (green).
Bolt was given a black oxide finish.
Stock dull oil finish. (Achieved with boiled linseed oil)
Redfield Base & Rings blued.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Base, Rings, Sling, Swivels</span>
Redfield 40X Base (part# 511153),
marked 40x on bottom, notable square corners
Full rifle serial # electro penciled on left side.

Redfield 1" Low Rings (part# 523503)
Marked on bottom "1-64" or "1-66"

Sling Green Web MRT or Leather MRT

Wichita Sling Swivels, non-detachable, 1 1/4"

Ok, let the editing begin.

Re: M40 Build Guide - Not M40A1

IMG_0933-1.jpg

Barrel left side. Aug 1966

IMG_0949-2.jpg

Barrel right side

IMG_0951.jpg

Stock (back)
IMG_0958.jpg

I'd prefer to keep this thread dedicated to the M40, but i'd be happy to help answer any questions you may have in a PM.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Early Sear and safety</span></span>
pix133226890.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Under the buttplate it is stamped with a 1/666 (Must be Satans first rifle)</span></span>
100_1754.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0933-1.jpg

</div></div>

Ding Ding... We have a winner

Due to the Redfield 40X base being almost impossible to find, and the Redfield Jr. base not being accurate/authentic, Badger Ordnance offered this reproduction M40 base and ring set as a alternative.
4982.jpg

Badger stated this base would not fit the early rifles, because of the difference in rear bridge height, (difference in rear bridge height occured 73 or thereabouts) Denis SDwhirlwind here on the Hide could explain further.

Its amazing in a wet climate with wood stocks and basic hunting scope these guys could hit a target. Compared to rifles that are being produced today from the factory and custom shop,s. Just pure talent and a will to kill the enemy."OUTSTANDING"

Did the original barrels have the "Remington Arms Company Illion, NY .308 WIN" roll stamp on them in the middle, or just the inspection and date code stamps?

Date and code stamps on one side, triangle stamp, circled REP and upside down heart on the early guns around the first 700. Those procured later, as in 68, 69, 70 and 71 rifles were marked 7.62 NATO from the factory. No standard Remington factory roll markings

I am gathering parts and doing a similar project. I have two stocks, one is the 1966 ADL the other is the Numrich Police stock. Which one is best? Or should I just make a new one and use the Al butt off the ADL?

The 66 ADL should work perfect. I used the same thing on my project.

I started with a factory ADL from an early 6 digit receiver. It came off a 6mm Remington barreled action. It had the factory pressed in checkering which I imagine yours has right now.

I didnt use any chemical stripper, I just started sanding... and sanding... and sanding. Eventually you'll start making progress on that checking. Hot water also helps "lift" the checkering out. Once its gone, and your satisfied that you cant spot checkering, cut out the bottom of the floorplate and transform it into a BDL. This is the trickiest part.

To start, I took a very risky and amateur approach. I used a hand drill and drilled the wood from the inside out. Following the edges of the inner blind magazine until i could cut out the remainder with a box cutter. Believe it or not as crude as this method sounds, it worked perfectly and came out beautiful. Most importantly, take your time, dont rush anything.

Keep your bottom metal right beside you and test fit along the way.

I test fitted every minute.

After that is done, you'll want to open up the barrel channel if its a standard contour to make it large enough for the varmint contour barrel. Use a dowel rod with sand paper wrapped around it. Again, take your time, go slow and test fit along the way.

After your done with all the wood work, go to Lowes and buy the smallest can of Boiled Linseed Oil. Use gloves and a small amount on a rag and rub it in. You dont have to rub hard, the wood will soak it up like a sponge.

After it stops soaking it up, wipe off the extra with a couple clean rags or paper towels. Let it dry over a few days.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Another good tip is to sand with 0000 steel wool before oiling every time.

The finished stock is something you'll be very proud of.

Good luck and ask questions if you have any.

BTW,
I just contacted Badger and ordered two of the old reciever height M40 base ring sets. I was told they have 4 left. I do not know if they have the cant built in like the originals did. I will measure and report when they arrive. Many do not realize that they were canted, but they were.
RTH

How can that be?

Unless they recently released a new version for early 700 receivers I think you are receiving a couple for newer receivers.

I contacted Badger as well about 2 months ago and asked if their M40 Repro mount would fit early 700 actions. They said it would not.

I agree with mjh on this one but would sure like to be proven wrong.

NC, The man seemed to know what I was talking about and said he had both. He did not equiviate or have any doubts at all. He classfied them at prefix and pre prefix actions and mounts. IDK, but will tell you when it arrives.
He can be contacted at 816-421-4956.

Anyone else notice the modern saftey on Mawhinney's rifle? Oversight during rebuild?

Re: M40 Build Guide

Good catch. How about that serial number on the bolt handle?

The original M40s had the full serial electro-penciled on the underside of the bolt. Could this have been a M40A1 converted back to an M40?

I believe that was the case with this. Seems like I recall it had been converted (like most of them were) and it was sent back to be reconfigured for the display.

According to Senich's book, if it were actually in the condition it was in during its time in Vietnam, it would have A) been painted green as an early attempt at waterproofing the stock, and B) would have had an improvised scope cap set made of an old inner tube- along with the tombstone safety, etc.

I think it was more about it being the original receiver that was from his rifle at the time. But it still is a an M40 either way. I suppose in some ways, it helps that there was some degree of leeway in how these were configured in country when it comes to building a replica. As they came over straight from the crate, they were matched up and pristine. But after a few months hauling around in the jungles, etc. it's only realistic to expect that they would have been modified to keep them operational as needed. So I suppose that question comes into play- if you are building a replica M40, which way are you trying to replicate it? As new, as used, etc.?

Somewhere I read that when the sn was noted it was converted back to the M40 type. So stock, trigger etc were not original to rifle. It is still the greatest m40 in the world IMO.

Chuck's rifle was still in service 30 years after he had used it in Vietnam. I think around 1999 or so, cant remember exactly what year, they took his rifle (correct serial number) out of service. It was still being used as an M40a1 in Okinawa. The rifle was taken out of service and rebuilt by Eric Reid who is a 2112 and works at PWS right now. Im sure some to the things that we point out as being not correct for the M40 was not an oversight.

I was told that during the course of all M40A1 rifles, all triggers were converted to newer triggers because of time. There was no older triggers still in by the late 90's. Triggers was one of those parts that didn't last the course of time.
I have an older trigger I'd be happy to give them to make it correct
smile.gif

Chad

XARMOR, First off, that is an incredible rifle. The photo on the ALICE pack is my computer background at work. I can see the rings are blue but I'm not sure on the mount, is it blue (polished or matte) or black parkeried? Thanks, Dave

RTH1800, definitely interested in what Badger has to say about the base and rings, when they first introduced them they stated they would not fit early rifles, but hope to be proved wrong. Brent great job on the stock it looks great, as for Mawhinneys rifle, got to agree with the comments above, it wasn't new when he got it, and many good pairs of hands carried it for years after.

Thanks Marty, I'm real happy with the way it came out. The action is at the shop right now being rebarreled. Should get it back in a couple weeks.

As far as part collection, I have everything I need. Well, minus the correct base.

RTH, If you are putting one of those Badger repro bases on a 6 digit action, please post a few pics for us to see. Thanks!

I should have the bases in hand this week and will let you know ASAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DLBlack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XARMOR, First off, that is an incredible rifle. The photo on the ALICE pack is my computer background at work. I can see the rings are blue but I'm not sure on the mount, is it blue (polished or matte) or black parkeried? Thanks, Dave </div></div>

The mount that originally was on the rifle when I bought it is shown below. 2nd gen blued. The base in the photo is a badger repo that I use for display, I have not been able to find a correct 1st gen mount. I have seen both blue and matte mounts on the the early M40's. I also included the bottom of the bolt where the SN was electrpenciled (not an engraver).
100_1749-1.jpg

pix133245093.jpg

100_1742.jpg

Yes she is, I totally forgot I had those pictures, the rifle was for sale several years ago and the seller sent me those pictures. It was actually advertised as having an Art tel scope, and that whats piques my interest, I thought it might have been one of the rifles that had been part of product developement in the early seventies, but no just a perfect example of what a M40 should look like. The rifle, I believe was originally purchased by some agency or company other than the Corp.

Damn, would I love to have been the buyer to that rifle. Do you have any history of the rifle? Excellent rifle.

No, no history, saw it was for sale, seller was kind enough to send some pictures, can't really read the serial number, but I believe its 31XXXX, so that would not make it a Corp rifle, otherwise a very fine example.

I did not think the originals had the brass pin in in the stock and the forend looks a bit like a recontured ADL to me. Could be wrong.

If you look very clesely at the other pictures you will see the brass pin. It is not brite and shiney so it does not stick out, but it is there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncoutdoorsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I notice its not clip slotted though. Interesting. </div></div>

Damn, I didnt even notice that either but it sure isnt.