• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Build Guide

Re: M40 Build Guide

Well guys,I'm gonna be leaning on you all real heavy soon.My donor rifle arrived at the FFL Fri but I can't get there till Mon.I'm chewing my damn nails off.Gonna need some hard core opinions on her because the SN falls between the 2nd and 3rd known original M40 rifles according to Senichs list.Mine is 168,7xx.The original below mine is 168,346,,and the one above is 168,820.Since 168,346 is shown in Senich book,I'll be using that one as my main reference AND according to that rifle,I can save a fortune as it appears that one had a gloss black accurange scope.So,I guess I'll start with this,,who has used a barrel supplied by GAP,,and just how accurate is their barrel contour? If they parked for you,,was it green or green/gray? I'm hoping to park mine the same color you see on WW2 Remmy 1903A3s....I'm assuming that is the real and correct color???? In the pics the seller sent me,it appears it may have the clip slot cut in it,,but was partially hidden by the rear scope mount base.I'm guessing it's the plain square cut and not the type spec by the MC.Would this be right ? Barrel markings show it was made in Nov 65.Rifle is in .308,,,so I'm guessing that the 1st few original M40 rifles used receivers from about that same date??This sound correct? Please advise as this last question will help me determine what date code to stamp on a new barrel.I'm anal meticulous.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well guys,I'm gonna be leaning on you all real heavy soon.My donor rifle arrived at the FFL Fri but I can't get there till Mon.I'm chewing my damn nails off.Gonna need some hard core opinions on her because the SN falls between the 2nd and 3rd known original M40 rifles according to Senichs list.Mine is 168,7xx.The original below mine is 168,346,,and the one above is 168,820.Since 168,346 is shown in Senich book,I'll be using that one as my main reference AND according to that rifle,I can save a fortune as it appears that one had a gloss black accurange scope.So,I guess I'll start with this,,who has used a barrel supplied by GAP,,and just how accurate is their barrel contour? If they parked for you,,was it green or green/gray? I'm hoping to park mine the same color you see on WW2 Remmy 1903A3s....I'm assuming that is the real and correct color???? In the pics the seller sent me,it appears it may have the clip slot cut in it,,but was partially hidden by the rear scope mount base.I'm guessing it's the plain square cut and not the type spec by the MC.Would this be right ? Barrel markings show it was made in Nov 65.Rifle is in .308,,,so I'm guessing that the 1st few original M40 rifles used receivers from about that same date??This sound correct? Please advise as this last question will help me determine what date code to stamp on a new barrel.I'm anal meticulous.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole! Come'on down!
wink.gif
As far as what color the originals had, might I suggest going to the NRA website and watching the video on Chuck MaWhinney? There are some decent color photos showing the rifle as he had it in Vietnam. From what I could tell, it looked to me as though it was a dark Manganese park, with the bolt and bottom metal blued. The serial number would be in the correct overall range; certainly good enough for a clone IMHO, and being in .308 already will help with the bolt being right. There are some very slight differences in the early receivers compared to the later ones. The most noticeable is the receiver and bolt on the early ones do not have the anti-bind slot. Also check to see if yours comes with the short shroud on the bolt, the split sear trigger, and the correct safety. Any of these that are on it already will make the process that much easier for you. Also, the "Remington" script is slightly different on these than on the later ones. Might I suggest Mike Lau for getting the clip slot work performed? He did mine and I was very pleased with the result. (Enough so that I am planning on sending down my 1962 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 for one of his "Vietnam Sniper" conversions on it, as soon as funds allow) I didn't use the barrel supplied by GAP, so I can't attest to their product either way. Hopefully someone who has can chime in? I might also suggest contacting Stan at Douglas barrel, as mentioned earlier in this thread. In fact, wading through the 8 pages of this thread is a GREAT start to hit the ground running on the project. That, and getting two books by Peter Senich; "The one Round War" and "The Long Range War" are excellent sources of detailed info about these rifles and the context of their use in Vietnam if you don't have them already.

Tnks Joker,pics forthcoming.We just got power back,out since early Sun morn.Irene was a bitch
smirk.gif
.Cam charging,will post pics asap.
She has the short shroud,tall safety,and split sear.Also has the factory type clip slot.No eyebrows,just "square" cut.And no eyebrow on the front receiver ring.
Yes,tons of great info in the past 8 pages,but also gets confusing at some points.But I have read thru a few times,and 2 friends with those books have sent me copies of the chapters re.M40s.But like cloning anything,for every answer,up pops more questions
shocked.gif

M1Sniper, that should make a really nice one. You could still send it to Mike Lau to have the Marine type of clip-slotting done to it if you wanted to, but most of the rest of the parts are there that are hard to find. The Badger replica M40 scope base for the early pre-prefix receiver will probably be the hardest to come across, since as I understand it, they were a limited run and I think he sold out of them already. I will look and see if I still have the box for mine, and if so I will post the part number for you. The stock from Numrich should give you the wood part covered (if they send you one with the right barrel profile) and Stan at Douglas knows which barrel to send out on it (the one like Jay's from Attic Arms). The butt plate may or may not be right; depends on which part number it is. If you don't have any luck with the base and rings set, I have a later Redfield base and the Badger rings from my project that would fit it. It isn't the square cornered version, but it would give you a Redfield base and the 4-screw rings until you could find one of the others? Anyway, the rifle should make a great clone.

And by the way; love that one above it as well!

Thanks for the offers Joker,I'm covered on rings and base.I have 1 set medium stamped 1-66,and 1 set <span style="text-decoration: underline">low</span> stamped 1-66 too.The butt plate is marked 16601-1.Also have a Buddy whose father is a stock maker making me a stock and using my Buddys M40 clone with original Remmy varmint barrel to fit it all,,my Bud has also welded up the corners on an early Redfield 700SA base and is blueing it today.So,really I'm down to the barrel (I'll call Stan),,scope,and getting the U.S. and barrel markings done,,then the finish park job.
I need to decide IF I want to modify the existing clip slot,or leave it as Senich mentions it,,BUT again,his book shows on rifle 168,346 it has the square clip slot BUT also has the cut on the front receiver ring.So,I may only add that but leave the square slot alone. <span style="color: #009900">Opinions welcome on that</span>
crazy.gif
I also have a correct matte finish floorplate assembly here.
The winny is sn 59,xxx.Rules book does not give an actual manufacture date as it must have been a receiver made during war time,but assembled later.Best I can date it is between Oct 1945 and Feb 1946.Has ALL pre war features and original Winny medium heavy barrel .790 muzzle,flat crown.Barrel IIRC is early 1950s.Unertl rings are original early(blackened),and scope is a 1" 10 power. Scope went in for a tune up with A. Davis who now owns the optical division of Unertl after they closed down. 1940s sn on the scope.10,0xx but I also have another,same model sn 8,48x

Scottx88, that is a rare treasure indeed, heres a picture of mines, yours is the third that have actually seen owned by HIde members including my own. Notice the difference in the turret markings compared with the gloss accurange, these were the same Redfield scopes that were actually used for the original ART 1, and obviously bought by the USMC to replace the Gen 1 scopes.
Redfield3x9017.jpg

Redfield3x9021.jpg

m1sniper heres a picture of a modified square cut receiver, obviously not the best in the world, but it does function, there was at least three different variations of the clip slot. I think at least having the scallop cut is necessary, even if you didn't cut the actually clip slot.
M40008.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">m1sniper heres a picture of a modified square cut receiver, obviously not the best in the world, but it does function, there was at least three different variations of the clip slot. I think at least having the scallop cut is necessary, even if you didn't cut the actually clip slot.</div></div>

Also, remember that once the scope mount base is installed, that the only parts of the clip slotting that actually show are going to be the rounded part at the rear side and maybe part of the front scallop cut; the rest is covered by the base anyway. Still nice to have it "right" if possible, but not something that anyone is going to pick up the rifle and go "Hey! What's THIS?!?!?" over, IMHO.

Man, what a treasure chest of info here. This ought to be a sticky!

I'm collecting parts now.
wink.gif

Nomore606 also has a very nice example posted in the vintage sniper rifles forum section you might want to take a look at, Nuclear Cowboy.

Does any one have the Clip Slot Machinist schematics I can have? Please PM me so we can exchange contact info. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does any one have the Clip Slot Machinist schematics I can have? Please PM me so we can exchange contact info. Thanks! </div></div>

Here; is this the one you are looking for?

M40Clipslotspecs.jpg

Joker,
Did you ever find out where you had your scope refinished? I found a correct gen1 in gloss, now I just have to find a trustworthy place to have it coated OD.
Thanks

Hello, I am following this topic already for a long time and had 2 M40's built.
Although I joined the Hide some time ago I was never active, but I like to change that now.

I hope you don't mind, but I like to show you my 2nd M40 replica built by GAP.
My 1st M40 was also built by GAP but got stolen during transportation.

I bought a Remington BDL short action receiver here with a correct 6 digit serial number starting with a 2.
I was a .243 Cal at GAP they rebuilt it into a .308.

PICT0392.jpg

PICT0390.jpg

The stock I ordered at Accurate Innovations, after reading Mel's M40 built spec's at Sniper Central, with a Alu bedding.

P1030233.jpg

It has a correct barrel spec's a 1:10 twist, correct length and no target crown.
The Barrel is from Bartlein

100_17551.jpg

RotationofP1020216.jpg

I found on e-bay an original Redfield scope mount and low scope rings.
I bought a Green coated refurbished Redfield accutrack scope from Ironsight.

P1020191.jpg

At GAP they added the correct markings to the receiver, U.S, and to the Barrel, 7.62 NATO.

100_18011.jpg

I am real happy with the rifle it shoots fantastic.
The only thing I still need to change is the butt plate, but since it is a custom stock I will need to make a custom butt plate as well.

Also would like a Green Anodized scope, but I am not willing to pay $7500 (currently on e-bay)
Still like to shoot it and don't want a show case rifle.

100_1798.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

Thanks for sharing Dutch. I called Ironsights after reading your post on another thread because I wanted to have my Redfield coated OD as well. The quote was 10 months! Oh well, i'll probably still do it unless I can find someplace that can do it quicker.

They are very good at Ironsights, but they waiting list is huge.
which problably means lots of scope repairs and small business

Did you checked out Dura coat?
I spray painted a SIG pistol OD and it really came out well.
Dura coat is specially made for guns.

maybe a good alternative.

Dutch, I just checked out DuraCoat. Sounds like something I could do, but there are so many different shades of green. Now my dilemma is figuring out which one is closest. Which OD did you use on your Sig and does it match the scope? Thanks

Hello Rhongman,

Looks as if they have much more Green colors at Dura Coat then a few years ago.
I had a look too and I used just plain “OD GREEN”
But looking at the other colors I like “WWII OD GREEN” too it is a bit lighter than the OD I used and comes closer to the green color of the Anodized scopes.
It is difficult to chose a color this way best would be to see how they turn out, but it is not cheap stuff.

P1010935.jpg

OD GREEN.

I believe it was Ironsight, now that I recall, that I got mine from. Thanks for posting the pictures, Dutch. Nice rifle you have there; shame about the other one being stolen.

I finally quit putting it off and got ahold of Stan at Douglas Barrels today. I'll be sending my barrel back next week for a re-contour. I told him about your barrel and he said that basically it's their 007 Remington Varmint Contour barrel. I hope it ends up the same as yours, as I believe that we have the same stock from Numrich. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pvt.Joker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, MJH! You ain't kiddin!
shocked.gif
Have you talked to Stan about getting the right barrel for yours yet? That stock looks like it was made for a heavy bull barrel rather than the varmint one. Of course, mine sat in my stock weird too until I got the right barrel for it from Douglas; maybe that might help? </div></div>

Thanks Joker, I figured it was Ironsight. I like how your scope turned out.

Dutch, I agree with you on the WWII OD. I'm going to give it a try and pray I don't mess it up.

My parts collecting is almost complete! I'm not shooting for a 100% copy as some here have but I want it close in most area's. The barreled action is a new production Rem 700 SPR. The twist is wrong but I will live with that. It needs the barrel shortened a couple of inches and the cuts on the action. The scope is an accu-range model. I'm not sold on having it coated yet. The ADL stock still needs a lot of work but it's getting there. The bolt shroud arrived today and I got excited and took some pics.

Right now I know it's just a collection of parts but it's well on it's way to becoming a very cool rifle
cool.gif
Those of you that have done this before know what I'm feeling at this point of the build
laugh.gif

M40%20progress%20011.JPG

M40%20progress%20009.JPG

M40%20progress%20006.JPG

Well, I made a little more progress. All the checkering and finish are gone and the bottom metal is in.

sss%20003.JPG

You guys are doing great work. I'm
Jealous!

Question for you guys, if I have a 6 digit receiver 345XXX do you think it would be worth using for a build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for you guys, if I have a 6 digit receiver 345XXX do you think it would be worth using for a build? </div></div>

I don't see why not? Honestly, no matter HOW accurate we try to make them, in the end they are not going to be original Marine Corps M40/M700 sniper rifles. So if you have one from that time frame that you want to build into your own replica, then the only one you have to meet the standards of as to HOW detailed the build is, is YOU. Right? Otherwise, it is as much about learning more about the details and the history behind the originals and the men who used them, and in the process having a nice representative piece that invokes that. It's real easy in one of these projects to really get deep into it and become a bit obsessive over some of the details, but in the long run it is about having fun with the build and the rifle. So take the one you have and enjoy it for what you can make out of it. If you decide to do so, then welcome to the "club".

Thanks Joker, I've been collecting parts for a while now. This is actually my second 6 digit. I have my primary receiver (in the middle of the original range) that's going to head out to GAP for Clip slotting and stamping when I get back from this deployment. I have 2 accu-ranges a first Gen and a second gen that I still need to send to Ironsight. I have a Badger repro base and ringset and a crap ton of Redfield bases and 4 screw rings that would make a great second gen base. The problem I'm having is the stock. I have the butt plates, Whicita Swivels and bottom metal, but I'm having a hard time finding a stock. I have a few original 700 BDL heavy barrel stocks that I plan on getting copied in plain walnut. It's almost making think about buildin an A1!

Bumping this up with 2 Qs,,yeah,I know the info is prolly within the 9 pages,but I want this back on top so it's easier to find.Any way of getting this thread stickied??
What is the correct finish used on the bolt handle? What is the correct finish for the bolt shroud?

I am looking for a square cornered 40X base for my build, anyone have any suggestions, besides praying. I know they are like hen's teeth, and I haven't expected to find one easily, that's why I have been looking for some time now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M1sniper, black oxide finish, flat black on trigger guard and floorplate. Col Kurtz been looking for years for aa 40x base, never did find one, got a Gen 2 satin accurange though. As for Marty's bases not sure if the current run will fit the 6 digit actions.

Badger makes two different versions of the M40 repro base/ring set: the version for no letter prefix actions (i.e. 6-digit actions and maybe some early A's) and the version for the current production style letter prefix actions.

I just got one of the versions for the no letter actions, so they should have some more in stock right now. Just send 'em an email and they'll hook ya up with an order.

kft101, Thanks I have a 290,xxx rifle, and need a no prefix base. I will call them in the morning.

I had this one on my Repro, theres too much cant to it to actually use it, couldn't get the 3-9 redfield (accurange) inside of 300yds. But besides the green scope,this is a hard one to find.
2012-01-20_18-27-04_753.jpg

Perfect for a six digit (early) receiver. Your repo as well as all receivers after the “A” prefix have a higher rear bridge. I.e., the cant.
Great time to do a spec. build.

Sorry, Lower rear bridge. (higher, Lower: Heck, send it to me and I'll Figure it out, Ha)

My potential 6 digit builds and my Mount collection. I wish a correct stock wasn't so hard to find!
6digits.jpg

mounts.jpg

Here's my Gen 1 and 2 Accu-ranges. Might also look for a Weaver T10 for a future A1.

scopes.jpg

Speaking of engraving........who does the best job of engraving the U.S. on a receiver ?

Fellow M40 Enthusiasts, just wanted to pass on that CRS "Custom Rifle Stocks" http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/ formally Michael Kokolus Gun Stock Duplicating will be offering M40 reproduction stocks here in the next month or two. I spoke with Jesse this Morning and he went through his list and he has a pattern for the stock. The Late Mike Kokolus had an M40 stock and the pattern was taken directly from it. Feel free to hit him up for further info!