• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Build Guide

Re: M40 Build Guide

That scope would have had a few years on it. It's an original Redfield accurange from around 1966 and it is on an Model 70. They were "greener" when issued and exposure changed its color.

004-10.jpg

If you guys want to try your M40 Tributes against Some M70 tribute rifles 8-9 Sept there's going to be an Enhanced Vintage Sniper Match at Quantico, VA. Check out the Vintage Section for more info...Tell your friends!

Has anyone seen or bought one of these stocks?

M40 Stock FS

The auction pictures aren't very good. I have requested more pictures from the seller, but haven't had any luck.

Thanks, Greg V

This is my first post. Yes that stock is excellent. The seller copied it from an original M40 stock. The wood was very nice but required some fitting. I am picking my rifle up from the gunsmith today and I will post a pic.

Thanks! I've bought two now and still looking for something better. Sounds like this one might be it.

There is an M40 stock on ebay that is completely finished with aluminum pillars Wichita swivels and original sling. Has correct aluminum buttplate that looks good. Search by M40 stock. Ebay item #251193098101

Anyone need a short shroud like used on the M40! I did this for a gent that was going to send me his bolt to "trade" him for his new shroud and replace it with this new one I recut, that was in August. Found out after I did it he didn't even have a rifle bought yet!!!! After not hearing from him I PMed him a couple wks ago as I seen he listed it for sale cause he needed money!!!!! So guess I recut MY new shroud for 'entertainment'!!! Will sell for $25 shipped if someone needs a short one.

One in the middle between 64 original short and newer longer shroud. Cold blued on the end only.
P1010006-1.jpg

Thanks.
Respectfully,
Dennis

does anyone have any more info on the hi-lux m40 replica scope or any pictures of the actual scope? i'm wondering about the quality and authenticity. any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks

budiceale ... I spoke to Hi-lux and the scope will be released end of 1st qtr this year, by end of March. They will be releasing a green and black satin version.

rainier

thanks for the information. they sent me a link to their website and the green scope is in there, in the online catalog. i think i might have to get one. does anyone know about the quality of these scopes? from the picture on the website they look pretty authentic.

Gentlemen:
I thought that these photos of the original M40 Remington should be added as a reference for anyone attempting a “Clone” build.

I may have the opportunity to see this rifle next week. If anyone wants additional pictures taken, let me know and I’ll see what I can do and share them..

I’ve set up the photobucket account with the following:
User: good989
Password: byrnebyrne

I don’t use this service for other than this post, so use it to your hearts content!
Gutowsky

_DSC0411-3.jpg

_DSC0410-3.jpg

I have got a original Remington 700 ADL stock in walnut with no checkering. Does anyone know someone that can take this stock and reconfigure the front of the forearm and take an aluminum buttplate and fit in place of the plastic buttplate? This was not one with Dupont finish. Thanks.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a stock Remington 700 model that would be a good base for a clone rifle?

Something with the exact same barrel contour and length?

Farfyter ... give Connor over at Celtic Rifle a call. He is extremely knowledgeable about these rifles.

Has anyone seen or bought one of these stocks?

M40 Stock FS

The auction pictures aren't very good. I have requested more pictures from the seller, but haven't had any luck.

Thanks, Greg V

Found the guy's website. Here's the stock itself on the website: http://www.gunville.com/productDetails.aspx?prodid=212 Pics are poor - the ones on eBay are better.

For the lefties, I contacted him and he says he can make a stock without the bolt slot so you can fit your action.

Hey Rainier42....thanks, it actually came out beyond my expectation. He did a great job....was referred by to by a friend...His name is Ken Bruda. He's a machinist out of California. Took a couple weeks but he's a stand up guy and was great to work with.
PM me and Ill forward you his contact info....Don't feel comfortable posting his contact info public.

In regards to the brass re enforcement pin....Does the pin go all the way through the stock? I've seen several pic's where the pin can clearly be seen on the left (non-bolt) side but can not be seen on the right (bolt handle) side.
I have only seen two authentic VN era M40's and can not recall noticing it.
Thanks for any input you can share.

Don't know if there is a guide other than looking at photos and discussion on what tools to use, others may want to chime in here.

I heard only good things about Silver Hill stocks. This is the closest you will get for a M40 clone. The Numrich stocks are correct, but often backorder.

He also have the 16601 buttplates in stock. So he can fit it before shipping the stock.

Still waiting for my stock to show up. I'm in Canada, customs are a pain...

I heard only good things about Silver Hill stocks. This is the closest you will get for a M40 clone. The Numrich stocks are correct, but often backorder.

He also have the 16601 buttplates in stock. So he can fit it before shipping the stock.

Still waiting for my stock to show up. I'm in Canada, customs are a pain...
Please keep us posted on how this one turned out.

What would be the best way to remove the textured matte finish on a BDL floorplate? I have 3-4 floorplates from SPS rifles. M40 is semi-gloss, no texture.

it's nice when a plan comes together! :) a m40 clone in 223 is a LOT of fun!

Attachments

• amax.jpg
    amax.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 39
  • newgun.jpg
    newgun.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
M40 Build Guide/New Member Intro.

Greeting to the forum members!

This forum, has been an invaluable source of information, photo documentation and no small bit of inspiration. I've still got a few questions about the M40 requirements at Quantico and the matches themselves, but they can wait, for now.

Last edited:
HI-LUX M40 USMC 3-9 X 40mm, apparently coming out at the end of this summer. They replied to an email inquiry that I sent them about a month ago, that they anticipated having this offering available around the end of August. More details on their web site- look at 'Blog Archive 2013.' Very competitively priced.

View attachment 12128

I would rather get a period correct Redfield Accu-Range and have it anodized. The repros are not good enough IMO... they look wrong.

Anodizing a scope my be difficult. Not sure if its even possible without taking it completely apart.

It is possible. The scope needs to be taken apart. Celtic Rifles does it. They have to stamp 'CR' on the scope so people wont sell them as originals. Finish is so close to originals, only an expert would tell (originals changed colors over time).

Look at the following thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...second-redfield-accu-range-scope-rebuild.html
Home

Thanks for the reply. I had been wondering if interest in this thread had gone 'dead.' I certainly hope not, as I've some more questions that have been touched upon, but at least in my minds eye, aren't quite settled.

Returning to the HI_LUX M40 scope: That's where consumers come in. An 'initial' offering doesn't mean 'final' and I suspect that they will be doing some product tweaking, as they all do. Frankly, this was a market opportunity that Redfield passed-up/passed-over and even Leupold could have embraced- but didn't, at least not entirely. If the scope contours had been maintained, the 'features' in the original optics more stable and/or modernized (over time) and the green anodized finish more available (even from their custom shop,) we wouldn't have originals priced at $5K+. The 'originals,' that are subsequently re-finished in some sort of 'green' in an attempt to get 'the look,' never look quite right, either (well maybe) and still retain the same 'weaknesses' or void a warranty, hardly represent an actual improvement, in practical terms.

On one side we have appearance (esthetics) and on the other 'function and reliability' and it seems that if there is a trade-off to be made, on an initial product offering, I'll settle, initially, for function and reliability. Having a custom firearm that you've put a fair amount of time and effort into (we won't mention money because it's irrelevant to the terminally ill) getting it as close to 'right' as possible, sidelined (literally) by a piece of vintage optics (pc and unrepairable- now there's a combination - it could be anything but the optics are the most vulnerable) will push you in that direction.

I've no dog in the fight. At this price and with the potential (if not already a reality) for a specific competitive match (one of my interests in pursuing this build) I'll give the HI-LUX offering a try. I'm impressed with the acceptance and performance of their 8X USMC SNIPER model and their pricing (v. an original Unertl + mounts) and expect their M40 offering will follow suit. You know, the availability of a suitable scope, in a proper anodized shade of green (under a full warranty,) heretofore unavailable to anyone without a great deal of commitment and disposable cash, may actually direct more shooters towards building an M40 clone than away from it- a good thing I suppose.

I must say that I agree, and disagree with you about the Redfield/Hi-Lux scopes. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to get into an argument, but simply share my opinion like you did. I will say it again, I would use a Redfield scope, green anodized or not, on a M40 build, rather than a repro. I get your point about function and reliability but what is the main purpose of building a clone if not even using same brand/type parts?

I've been using 40+ years old Redfields on many rifles, including my early M40A1 clone. Never had any problems whatsoever with Redfields. They are built like a tank. If it survives Vietnam, it will survive the occasional trip to the range. No need for a modern scope. I dont care about warranty or whatever, simply because they just dont break if you take good care of 'em.

Personally, I think the goal with a M40 replica, is to replicate the actual 'feeling' of the rifle. Not to modernize it. What if I built a M40 with a synth stock and a Hi-Lux? Is it a M40 clone? No. Its just another rifle.

Sure the Hi-Lux is probably a well-made and rugged scope and I would be glad to try it. But when you put thousands of dollars into a 'correct' M40 replica, why not use the real deal?

I am not talking about the 5K$ original Redfields. But a period correct Accu-Range scope will sell for 300-600$, depending on condition. Add a 250-300$ for the anodizing job, and you are at +-700-800$. If somebody building a M40 clone cant afford a 800$ scope, better stop right now. Cause building a close replica is close to 3000-4000$.

Maybe I sound like a purist, but this is not about saving money or cutting corners. Building a M40 needs dedication and money.

Read the entire thread again. You will see close to none interest in the Hi-Lux or any other replica scopes.

Last edited:
I must say that I agree, and disagree with you about the Redfield/Hi-Lux scopes. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to get into an argument, but simply share my opinion like you did. I will say it again, I would use a Redfield scope, green anodized or not, on a M40 build, rather than a repro. I get your point about function and reliability but what is the main purpose of building a clone if not even using same brand/type parts?

I've been using 40+ years old Redfields on many rifles, including my early M40A1 clone. Never had any problems whatsoever with Redfields. They are built like a tank. If it survives Vietnam, it will survive the occasional trip to the range. No need for a modern scope. I dont care about warranty or whatever, simply because they just dont break if you take good care of 'em.

Personally, I think the goal with a M40 replica, is to replicate the actual 'feeling' of the rifle. Not to modernize it. What if I built a M40 with a synth stock and a Hi-Lux? Is it a M40 clone? No. Its just another rifle.

Sure the Hi-Lux is probably a well-made and rugged scope and I would be glad to try it. But when you put thousands of dollars into a 'correct' M40 replica, why not use the real deal?

I am not talking about the 5K$ original Redfields. But a period correct Accu-Range scope will sell for 300-600$, depending on condition. Add a 250-300$ for the anodizing job, and you are at +-700-800$. If somebody building a M40 clone cant afford a 800$ scope, better stop right now. Cause building a close replica is close to 3000-4000$.

Maybe I sound like a purist, but this is not about saving money or cutting corners. Building a M40 needs dedication and money.

Read the entire thread again. You will see close to none interest in the Hi-Lux or any other replica scopes.

The scope by Celtic Rifle, is but one of many reasons I'm here. Not only is it beautifully done, but you've shared the master craftsman with the rest of us.

Seems a vintage Redfield reworked by CR, will be added to the 'wants' list.

Last edited:
M40 Build Guide/ Redfield mount(s) for the Remington 700 SA ...

The "700SA" is mentioned in a few posts.

I have two (2) mounts, in-hand, one (1) with a matte finish, stamped "700-SA" and a single upper case "R," stamped on the right side-front of the mount (see photos)

Project Redfield Mount 700-SA_Project.jpg

Project Redfield Mount 700-SA_Project_B.jpg

and another with a polished finish, stamped 700SA (no dash) with a traditional Redfield logo/trademark, stamped on the right-side front of the mount (see photos)

pix429023705.jpg

pix315993537.jpg

Q. Are they both Redfield mounts?

Thanks, in advance, for your time and reply.

Last edited:
The one on top, not sure... Redfield maybe, but probably not a vintage piece. But the bottom is Redfield, period correct IMO.

The 700SA bases were used when the original square corners 40X bases were out of production. Or if the a 40X base was lost/broken or whatever. I dont see any reasons not to use a standard 700SA base on a M40 clone.

Be careful with the earlier Remington receivers though... The rear section was lower. I think the switch was made somewhere around 70's? I will have to go back in the thread... We know for sure that the 40X base wont fit the re-design receivers anyway. So unless you are cloning an early period correct M40 with the correct serialed receiver, I would use a 700SA base anytime.

The one on top, not sure... Redfield maybe, but probably not a vintage piece. But the bottom is Redfield, period correct IMO.

The 700SA bases were used when the original square corners 40X bases were out of production. Or if the a 40X base was lost/broken or whatever. I dont see any reasons not to use a standard 700SA base on a M40 clone.

Be careful with the earlier Remington receivers though... The rear section was lower. I think the switch was made somewhere around 70's? I will have to go back in the thread... We know for sure that the 40X base wont fit the re-design receivers anyway. So unless you are cloning an early period correct M40 with the correct serialed receiver, I would use a 700SA base anytime.

MescaBug,

Thanks for your reply.

You've confirmed that the second mount is PC (and a keeper) and that's good enough for me. For the neophyte, knowing exactly what stampings and trademarks/logos to look for, when parts collecting, is extremely helpful.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
but the man and his business are virtually invisible (nonexistent, the business anyway.)

Using 'celticrifles.com' as a search element yields a direct that takes you to a ATF/.gov web page. Not a bunch of people that I have any reason to believe would be particularly 'helpful,' at least not in the instant case. Extensive (many-many) White page/Yellow page searches yield nothing more, of any value, unless you want to drive over and knock on his door or send a flower arrangement.

Would someone be so kind as to contact me by PM with a more direct, but less personally invasive way of contacting him. Thanks, in advance, it would be very much appreciated.

Without any doubt, something went wrong either typing the direct link or your search was incorrect. Celtic Rifles are very well known, far from being invisible! They are one of the number #1 source of knowledge about USMC rifles and scopes. I check the web site often and never had any problems...

Typing the web site address directly: Home or googling it sends you right to their web site.... Something's wrong with your browser.. or maybe you have a content filter that blocks firearms related stuff??

celtic1_zps3e211c17.jpg

celtic2_zps01a6a924.jpg

Crap, I need a new finished barrel for my M40 SSA. I can't believe I shot the barrel out after about 3000 rounds. Any suggestions for a replacement barrel?