• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Remington 700 5R .308 Police bolt knob change

Pvt. Joker

Rifleman
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
North Central Florida

Everything is fine on the rifle, my only issue is the bolt knob that came on it from Remington has an oversized knob.
Is my only option finding a correct bolt and having a smith re-headspace it or is there an easier way aside from buying a box of bolts in hope of a correct fit ?
I hate like hell to pull it all apart, it's a real good shooter.
I have the go/no go gauges so that's not an issue.
I've never did any headspace machining only checked rifles with gauges. I do have access to a lathe and machine shop and my friend who owns it is a highly skilled machinist.

Any suggestions ?

Replace it with another handle, they are soldered on, this if your factory knob is not threaded on.

Most folks want an oversize knob.
What exactly is your issue with it?
If it is aftermarket, it is threaded on. A little heat and you could likely take it off and replace it with a smaller knob.
How about trying to post a picture of the offending knob?

Nothing wrong with the knob, it actually works easier than the issued small one on my other M40 clone, like this one.
0406201442.jpg

HOWEVER, this is a mid 1960s clone build of a USMC M700/M40 sniper rifle. The bigger ones were not used on those weapons during that time period and probably were not even available at that time.

Nothing wrong with the knob, it actually works easier than the issued small one on my other M40 clone, like this one.View attachment 7392727
HOWEVER, this is a mid 1960s clone build of a USMC M700/M40 sniper rifle. The bigger ones were not used on those weapons during that time period and probably were not even available at that time.
OKay, you didn't say you were trying to do a clone build.
Personally, since nothing else would be correct (barrel profile, rifling rate, rifling type) I wouldn't sweat it, but here you go:

OKay, you didn't say you were trying to do a clone build.
Personally, since nothing else would be correct (barrel profile, rifling rate, rifling type) I wouldn't sweat it, but here you go:
Reread my post, I did say it was for a CLONE build. I'm not trying rebuild an original, too much money and what's the pointr anyway ? It would just be a CLONE of an original, untouched,never rebuilt original.
The whole thing is correct for a "clone".
Stock,trigger, buttplate, sling swivels, scope base and rings, scope, receiver and barrel.
It's not an ORIGINAL M40 but a CLONE.
SOME PARTS ARE ORIGINAL.
The silver bolt isn't even in the ball park.
You need to read a bit about M40s and the guys who build them before offering your assistance about something you don't know about.

Reread my post, I did say it was for a CLONE build. I'm not trying rebuild an original, too much money and what's the pointr anyway ? It would just be a CLONE of an original, untouched,never rebuilt original.
The whole thing is correct for a "clone".
Stock,trigger, buttplate, sling swivels, scope base and rings, scope, receiver and barrel.
It's not an ORIGINAL M40 but a CLONE.
SOME PARTS ARE ORIGINAL.
The silver bolt isn't even in the ball park.
You need to read a bit about M40s and the guys who build them before offering your assistance about something you don't know about.
Here is your post, it doesn't specifically say "clone build", maybe you should learn how to express your thoughts. You can refinish the bolt, it will give you the look you are wanting, gun kote and you oven will do the job.
I suggest you kiss my hairy ass..

Everything is fine on the rifle, my only issue is the bolt knob that came on it from Remington has an oversized knob.
Is my only option finding a correct bolt and having a smith re-headspace it or is there an easier way aside from buying a box of bolts in hope of a correct fit ?
I hate like hell to pull it all apart, it's a real good shooter.
I have the go/no go gauges so that's not an issue.
I've never did any headspace machining only checked rifles with gauges. I do have access to a lathe and machine shop and my friend who owns it is a highly skilled machinist.

Any suggestions ?

I was going to point out post #5, at the bottom, but I want to see where this goes.
Well, I originally responded on post 3. I understand that he wants to build a clone, but he didn't make that clear in his original post.
I found a replacement bolt for him that would only require the application of a new finish and he wanted to get all pissy.

Reactions: b6graham
I suggest you kiss my hairy ass..

Come on, talk about getting pissy. I just disagree with you, thats all. Trigger Monkey had it right, read post #5.
It's pretty clear and "expressed " correctly and your suggestion to me is rediculous at best.

However, if you insist,
I don't think you know your ass from a hole in the ground.
Do you feel better now ? You began the BS so I'll go along for a bit until I tire of your moronic sayings.

Come on, talk about getting pissy. I just disagree with you, thats all. Trigger Monkey had it right, read post #5.
It's pretty clear and "expressed " correctly and your suggestion to me is rediculous at best.

However, if you insist,
I don't think you know your ass from a hole in the ground.
Do you feel better now ? You began the BS so I'll go along for a bit until I tire of your moronic sayings.
Wow. How the fuck did I begin the BS?
You are incomprehensible.
Since my original response to you was #3, the information you provided in #5 was of no use at the time.
Now, you want to go on about a replacement bolt not being spec enough in a build that has the wrong action, the wrong barrel twist rate, the wrong barrel contour, the wrong style of rifling and the wrong finish.
And the word is ridiculous. I find the fact that you want to gon on about such shit ridiculous at best.

The info in post #5 WAS of use in my thread, you just overlooked it. Read a bit about the repro clones of these rifles many people build if it interests you. I did almost two years ago and got hooked, bought books, asked alot of questions, made a few friends and now have yet another addiction, my first being M14s. Many of the M40 clone barrels are not 1:10 as the originals were, many folks use the 1:12 or 1: 11.25 that are more available on a stock Remington or buy a custom one thats more expensive. The action is the same, Remington 700 SA with some builders not having the clip slot milled per USMC specs, the barrel contour is the varmint type that was used by the USMC, the finish is correct on most builds, however many choose parked finishes. Both of my stocks are EXACT reproductions of originals, Taylor Engineering makes the best IMO but a bit pricey. I have one Remington police stock that was exact except the end of the forearm which I contoured to correct specs. I also used the correct short bolt shroud on my early Nam clone, I have the later full sized one for this current build. I use all original sling swivels, buttplates, bottom metal and tombstone triggers for my builds. Along with that many use Redfield bases and rings that are correct others including myself use the reproductions made by Badger Ordnance as they have the early style square ends. The original square 40X bases are very rare and quite pricey. My early first issue Redfield Accu Trac Rangfinder scope is in the correct # range and is anodized correctly along with original Redfield 1"-64 rings, the later ones use towards the end of Nam is in the correct matte black with a contoured Redfield base not really correct but only a collector would notice. I punch paper and shoot matches with mine, they are good enough for me and quite accurate if I do my part.
Most of the all original and USMC armorer rebuilt M40s are in museums or private collections and rarely if ever are shot anymore for obvious reasons. Few were made at the time and even fewer complete originals exist.