• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 barrel

Re: M40A1 barrel

If you are going with a M40A1 clone use a Hart or H&S Precision 1:12 twist.

Sure, you can use different barrels, scopes, bases and stocks, but then it's not an M40A1.

IMHO you are going to see little to no accuracy difference with any other top end barrel maker. It's going to matter more who installs, chambers and trues the action.

Schneider on mine as well.
Last I heard, he still has a few in stock. Gary is very nice to deal with.

I don't know why but I'm drawn to the hart. but may not go that route. When ordering the stock do you have them inlet it for the williams winchester bottom metal or ? Also is cutting the trigger only required when using the winchester metal?

Mine was build on a return stock so I didn't have to worry about it. I did order an A2 stock and had them do and M40A1 inlet. It fit my reproduced A1 bottom metal perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justintimesc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why but I'm drawn to the hart. but may not go that route. When ordering the stock do you have them inlet it for the williams winchester bottom metal or ? Also is cutting the trigger only required when using the winchester metal? </div></div>

I would tell McMillan what you are doing.

If you want a "spec" build you will need the M70 two-piece bottom metal. You will need to trim the floorplate to the right length and trim the trigger housing.

If you are NOT building a "spec" build, then just use the Williams "tactical" one piece bottom metal and whatever trigger you want.

IMHO the only reason to build a "spec" M40A1 is if you have a Unertl or MST-100 to go on top. If not, then just build a heavy barrel 700 in a McMillan stock and save yourself some trouble.

I carried an M40A1 and that is the only reason I am building one. If I didn't have an attachment to it, then there is no way I would spend the money, time and effort for a "spec" build.