• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 question

terrygood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Atlantic city NJ
What is the torque setting for the rings? I have a MST-100 and 1pc base and rings (steel). I know that 15 inch pounds is not enough.

Re: M40A1 question

Which rings are you using? USO? My Barrett rings do require more than 15 in/lbs, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 or so, but I can't remember.

The base and rings are identical to ones that Dafar is ordering from John at USO. Copies of the original Unertl (1 Piece base and rings for the M40A1).

If they are torx-15, I would assume 15 in/lbs. If bigger torx or allen, they might be more than 15. I would give them a call. The website doesn't offer much help.

ok.. problem is.. you can't get a torque wrench on them to start with... Use the correct size allen key. You have to use the long side because that's the only thing that will fit. Get all four screws started and proceed to snug each screw alternating screws 1/4 turn at a time... That's all you can turn them before having to relocate the allen key. It will take some snugging to pull the rings down onto the scope and the scope will get ring marks. So don't get the panties in a bunch if you don't like how it goes...LOL Don't gorilla grip the allen key and snug them down comfortably until the key don't want to turn anymore. That's basically what JBW told me to do