• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M40A1 Return Stock Question????

Shadow_Warrior

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2004
Tulsa Ok
I have a M40A1 return stock with fitting bottom metal .
I would like to know where I can get the magazine box/follower (?) and spring.
Is this all I need to make this work with my barreled reciever?

Thanks!

Re: M40A1 Return Stock Question????

Yes, that and mill the trigger. Do you have a factory lug? If not then the lug area will have to be opened up. Check Midway.

I just ordered the BDL mag box, follower & spring from Brownell's last night. Here are the part #'s

BDL mag box, short action 767-167-150

Magazine follower 767-909-820

Magazine spring 767-156-990

Should all be in stock, they were last night anyway. Hope this helps!

Normal procedure with the BDL box it will need to be welded to the action. You can use an ADL box and screw if you do no want to weld the box to your action.

If using an ADL box and screw you will need to shorten the box slightly to fit properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mussman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is this all I need to make this work with my barreled reciever?</div></div>

If it's a factory Remington barreled action you will need to grind out and re-bed the stock. The factory lug will most likely not fit in the recess in the current bedding.

I tried it just for grins the last time I had my SPS-V action out of it's stock. I was pretty sure it wouldn't "drop in" but I wanted to see just in case.

Even if his B/A uses the factory recoil lug the spec m40a1 rifles have a 2 degree taper cut on both sides of the lug. So even if the width and location of the lug match the side tapers will not.

I've bedded quite a few of these and there seems to be ALOT of variation in action location in these stocks. Since these stocks do not use pillars to set the action height it is very easy to bind the action by not matching the inlet height around the action screw holes.

Keep us updated on the progress.

Ern

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mussman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a M40A1 return stock with fitting bottom metal .
I would like to know where I can get the magazine box/follower (?) and spring.
Is this all I need to make this work with my barreled reciever?

Thanks!</div></div>

you know........being a purist and all......i would endeavor to find the proper size punch and number the metal to the stock number......i'm just sayin