• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M40A1 Stock problem, gunsmith needed

BretShooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2002
Mission, Montana
I bought one of these when they came up a few years back, and I have decided to finally build it. I found a problem with the middle screw location. It appears to be slightly too far forward, and with the two trigger guard screws in place, the magazine floor plate won't close, or if closed when installed it won't open.

Also, when that small middle screw is installed, the rear of the trigger guard is farther forward than when it was bedded last. So it seems to me that when this stock was last in service, the middle screw was not actually used. Since it is original to the rifle, I would like to use that bottom metal. I would like to find a decent gun plumber in the Dallas to Tyler region of Texas to mill out and reinstall a threaded insert for that middle screw location.

Re: M40A1 Stock problem, gunsmith needed

Actually the threaded insert is 6-32 machine thread. The Corp used a BDL mag box welded to receiver. I used an ADL box that isn't welded which is technically incorrect.

Do the numbers for bottom metal match the stock number? If the screw holes work for front and rear guard screws you could remove a small amount of metal from rear of floor plate to allow clearance or as you stated remove some bedding from rear of TG to allow it to set further back. How it is done will depend on whether or not actions screws are in correct location for the receiver being used.

HTH

Respectfully,
Dennis

Your Metal does not match the stock. also to use this stock you will have to Weld the BDL box to the reciever.

At a Minumum you need to have the Metal installed correctly and use a shortened ADL box that can be attached to your action.

There is a couple good smith's out in Stephenville TX, Triple G gunsmithing and Shumaker (Stephenville is west of Ft. Worth like 50 miles). But there are also some in Dallas but the names are escaping me. It seems like ones name is Gene something who supposedly does outstanding work. There is also S&S precision out that way.

Check out TEXAS BRIGADE ARMORY. Mike Lau does dome really great work and has a M40 lineup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out TEXAS BRIGADE ARMORY. Mike Lau does dome really great work and has a M40 lineup </div></div>

ROFL, if you have tons of time rock on with that...

He is in Stephenville also BTW. Does great work from what I have seen but the timeline he offers is insain.