• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3/5 PGW rails discontinued

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    PGW slightly changed their EFR rails that were used on the USMC M40A3 and A5 rifles. I'm not sure how much they changed on the new rails, but they no longer use the shims between the top and bottom sections.

If you're planning on doing an A3 or A5 build, shoot PGW a call and see if they have any of the old style EFR rails left. When you call, ask for Roxanne, she knows that we're looking for the old style.

When I ordered mine they had about 10 left in stock. Hope this helps anyone who needs parts!

Z3raxrW.jpg

Thanks for the heads up about this man! Was able to snag one this morning.

Interesting...I just got a couple of these in and they both have the line for “shims x4” crossed out on the boxes. Order was placed a few months back in May but got stuck in customs for weeks. No idea about the differences since I have nothing to compare against. Anyone willing to take some detailed pics and/or measurements to see if it’s only the shims that changed?

Bumping this up. I sent an email to PGW to ask about the changes. Couldn't find a number to call posted on their website. Can anyone share more details about the shims, material, thickness, etc. in case these are no longer produced?

Edit: PGW confirmed there was a design change that removed the requirement of using the spacers.

Last edited:
    Bumping this up. I sent an email to PGW to ask about the changes. Couldn't find a number to call posted on their website. Can anyone share more details about the shims, material, thickness, etc. in case these are no longer produced?

Edit: PGW confirmed there was a design change that removed the requirement of using the spacers.

Glad you were able to get some info on the differences, I don't have one of their new mounts, so I can't do any side-by-side photos.

Their phone number is (204) 487-7325

I was able to pick up the legacy mount with the spacers. Somehow they breezed through customs this go around and I got them in hand in less than a week.

Basically, they did away with the spacers and added material to the top half of the mount to make up for the thickness of the two metal spacers. From what I can tell the bottom half and bolts are unchanged. The finish looks to be the same as well.

Here they are side by side. Old on the left, new on the right:

1596495970160.png

1596495989739.png

1596496004989.png

The difference is ~0.045". This is just a little more than the ~0.043" thickness of two stacked shims. Hope this helps to clear up the differences between the old and the new version of this rail.

I was able to pick up the legacy mount with the spacers. Somehow they breezed through customs this go around and I got them in hand in less than a week.

Basically, they did away with the spacers and added material to the top half of the mount to make up for the thickness of the two metal spacers. From what I can tell the bottom half and bolts are unchanged. The finish looks to be the same as well.

View attachment 7390384

View attachment 7390385
    View attachment 7390386

The difference is ~0.045". This is just a little more than the ~0.043" thickness of two stacked shims. Hope this helps to clear up the differences between the old and the new version of this rail.

That's great info, thanks for the pics! Minor difference with the spacers, but clone correct has to be clone correct, lol

View attachment 7390384

View attachment 7390385
    View attachment 7390386

Nice to see the differences documented here. Thanks for doing that!
    That's great info, thanks for the pics! Minor difference with the spacers, but clone correct has to be clone correct, lol
    The minor differences might not seem significant right now, but I'm sure you know how those minor details will make all the difference years down the line when they are no longer available.

It'll just raise the top half up a little. Doubt it'll have any functional effect on things other than the rail being visually higher off the barrel. I doubt that little bit would even matter for those running clip ons.

What happens if you put shims/spacers on the new generation PGW rail so it “looks right” (aside from not being correct)?
    If you're able to, you can mill off the increased height on the bottom of the legs of the top rail. It's going to be covered and nobody would ever see anyways.

Do they still make the mount thinking I need to buy one before its too late someone help me please

Do they still make the mount thinking I need to buy one before its too late someone help me please
    They still make it. But I think you should get it sooner than later. I want to say I saw something about them going out of business.

https://www.solstrategic.com/
    Has anyone ordered from these guys? Are they gtg would like to call them but I cant find their contact info.

Just buy it directly from the source while they still have them. Also, these are the 2nd generation rails, which were never used by the USMC. Just call them to place the order and ask them to throw in a few shims (if they still have any left), they'll know what you're talking about. With the shims, it will be 99.99% USMC spec and you can mill off the unnoticeable extra 0.045" for clone correctness if it somehow bothers you (see post #7 above for that info).

https://pgwdti.com/product/pgw-uns-rail/

Last edited:
    Reactions: USMCsean
    Just buy it directly from the source while they still have them. Also, these are the 2nd generation rails, which were never used by the USMC. Just call them to place the order and ask them to throw in a few shims (if they still have any left), they'll know what you're talking about. With the shims, it will be 99.99% USMC spec and you can mill off the unnoticeable extra 0.045" for clone correctness if it somehow bothers you (see post #7 above for that info).

https://pgwdti.com/product/pgw-uns-rail/
    Yeah, it's one of the easier parts to modify in all of cloning to make back to original. LOL

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
    Any place to get something similar?

The UNS Rail isn't the same since it doesn't have a bottom piece, it's made to attach straight to the Coyote chassis.

So after a lot of searching I've decided I'm going to try this. It's CNC aluminum "copy" of the M40 rail made by Action Sports Games (ASG). Although not an exact copy, it does mirror the overall size. Best news it was only $100 USD after the cost of shipping. A lot nicer than the $400 USD for a PGW M40 rail. Yes I'll probably get some hate putting an airsoft piece onto my real rifle (and I'm not happy about it either) but if it works, then I'll have saved some money for something that was just going to be cosmetic on my gun anyways.

Attachments

• -v2a200538319.jpg11226.jpg
      -v2a200538319.jpg11226.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 262
    Funny how PRI collaborated with the Airsoft mfr to license their Mk12 Mod 0 stuff and sold cheap at Evike. That PGW rail probably looks good at arm's length. At least it won't fold up like the Atlas fakes.

Last edited:
    We all try to be as clone correct as possible, but some of these parts are just too damn rare/expensive. If there aren't any more PGW rails available, then the airsoft stuff is the next best thing. Nothing wrong with wanting to build a great rifle and using what's available. Maybe another company will pick up the intellectual property or patents or whatever for the PGW rail and start making them again.

I'm working on about 30 various AR15 clones right now and some of the parts are extremely difficult to track down. I haven't resorted to the airsoft stuff, but a lot of guys in the M4A1/Mk12/Mk18/SAM-R/etc. threads on ARFCOM will use airsoft parts until they can find the real deal. Hopefully that rail will be a good enough stand-in and you'll keep us updated on your build!

Reactions: longshot2000
    So the rail arrived. I have to say handling it, I am quite impressed with the quality of it, doesn't feel fake or cheap. It's the same dimensions as the PGW rail so it should work just fine for my budget build.

DSC_0485.JPG

DSC_0486.JPG

The PGW rail I order was raw aluminum not hard anodized is this how they come from PGW? If so can someone point me in the right direction where I can have small parts anodized?

Does anyone here know how far back the m40A3 older style PGW rail is from the front end of the McMillan stock? Im having trouble finding information on installing the older PGW rail on a McMillan stock.

Reactions: Nate87
    Does anyone here know how far back the m40A3 older style PGW rail is from the front end of the McMillan stock? Im having trouble finding information on installing the older PGW rail on a McMillan stock.
    If I recall, McMillan will inlet it for you if you send it back to them.

Nate
    You are correct. McMillan is super helpful and they will inlet the PGW rail on your stock for $150. My gunsmith is nothing short of amazing and I have no question he will do an exceptional job. I just want to provide him with as much information to help him so he can focus on the actual work

FYI, our business will be carrying both the McMillan A4 stocks for M40A3 and M40A5, with the hope of having them in-stock and ready to ship at any time, and no waiting. Our first shipment arrives "May-ish" of 2023, and we are taking a waitlist if interested.

But more on topic, we are carrying the SOL Strategic EFR, and will have the stocks built for that embedded front rail, which is very similar to the PGW rail, which is not sold commercially.

In speaking with McMillan, they had nothing but excellent things to say about SOL Strategic, and McMillan recommended SOL Strategic as the best solution for a true A5 clone rifle. The owner tells me that his rail is not the same, but it looks the same to me. I am sure he has some differences to not just copy PGW.

We are carrying their product, for purchase as a part, or with a stock.

Reactions: 5RWill
    Here is the Airsoft rail I found and installed onto my gun.

Attachments

• DSC_1612_tonemapped.jpg
      DSC_1612_tonemapped.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 96
    Since when did the PGW rail become a .mil only item???
    PGW has has some issues lately, I think they are down sizing because of fiscal issues with their current business model. Building rails outside of .gov contract is probably not their biggest worry right now.

PGW has has some issues lately, I think they are down sizing because of fiscal issues with their current business model. Building rails outside of .gov contract is probably not their biggest worry right now.
    I was curious because I know of two people who have ordered them from PGW within the past couple months and got them without issue.