• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 build at PWS in Quantico COMPLETED!! Detailed pictures on 3rd pg Range report 4th pg

scatsob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2005
Jacksonville, NC
Well a 2112 warrant officer move in down the street from me and talking to him got me the itch to do an M40A3 build. I am still gathering parts and the long lead item is going to be the stock, which was ordered only two weeks ago from McMillan so it's going to be a while. The rifle will be built at PWS in Quantico and since it will be built by the dedicated marines that build these fine weapons for the USMC, I want it exactly as they come with all the correct parts. Here is the list.

Remington G prefix receiver
Schneider 1:12 USMC contour SS barrel
McMillan A4 stock, USMC spec
DD Ross recoil lug
DD Ross 30 moa lugged optics mount
Badger M5 DBM
M24 trigger
PGW EFR
Badger M40A3 34mm rings w/ SIMRAD cap

So far I have the barrel from Gary and the receiver. I also got a hold of Dan Ross and the base and lug are on their way and should be here next week. I will order the DBM and USMC 34mm rings from badger when funds allow. I will post as things progress. I am pretty excited about this one, it will be a great compliment to the M24 I already have.

7ms8.jpg

From this ^

To this ^

M40A3/A5 build parts and availability
Disclaimer: I am not an expert, below is what I know to the best of my knowledge. Please feel free to correct me.

Barrel: Schneider 1:12 M40 contour stainless steel blank. Gary makes extras on top of the ones he sends to the USMC just for us schmucks that want a clone :)
Gary's website: SCHNEIDER RIFLE BARRELS
Gary's phone number: 928.474.2852 (its really best just to give him a call, he a great guy to talk to)
Cost: ~$350 shipped

Receiver: Remington M700 short action, E or G prefix to be "correct". I pulled mine off a PSS.
cost: free-$400

Bolt body: Pacific Tool and Gauge bolt body with Remington OEM handle TIG welded on. Standard Remington extractor. Not a necessity, but I would have gotten one if I had had the time before the build started.
Website: https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...ducts_id=168&zenid=tokbjssj2t689k3hlqk7frkoq0
Cost: ~$200 for the body, handle, and welding
PTG Website:https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...ducts_id=168&zenid=tokbjssj2t689k3hlqk7frkoq0
Competent bolt handle welder (he also stocks PTG bolt bodies): Welcome to Accu-TIG

Trigger: Remington M24 externally adjustable trigger (VERY hard to come by these days, I lucked into mine for this build big time)
Cost: $150-$400 if you can find them

Stock: McMillan A4 inletted for a Remington M700 short action and Badger M5 DBM, M40 barrel channel, one stud up front, six flush cups (three rear and three up front), LOP spacer system, thumbwheel adjustable saddle cheek piece.
Website: McMillan Tactical Stocks, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Tactical Stocks
Cost: ~$900

Bottom metal: Badger M5 DBM with 5 round AICS magazine
Website: M5 DBM Detachable MagazineTriggerguard, Short Action ?Issue Item? | Badger Ordnance
Cost: $335

Scope base: DD Ross double lugged 30moa. Give Dan a call as well, great guy to talk to and very helpful
Cost: ~$370

Recoil Lug: DD Ross
Cost: $30

Rings: Badger Ordinance 34mm w/ SIMRAD Cap (I lucked into a set of these as well and am not sure if Badger sells the SIMRAD cap)
Website: 34 mm Scope Ring, USMC M40A3 (P/N 306-75) ?Issue Item? | Badger Ordnance
Cost: $200, add another $100+ for the SIMRAD cap

Scope: Schmidt Bender PMII 3-12x50 LP Gen2 mil dot MTC
Cost: Too damn much :( ($2800-$3600, $4500+ for a USMC marked one)

NV Rail: prairie Gun Works embedded front rail (give Ross or Steve a call and they will hook you up)
Cost: $230

Brake for the A5 variant: Surefire
Website: SureFire MB762SSAL/RE Muzzle Brake / Suppressor Adapter
Cost: $125

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up, they didn't have any when I started looking about a month or so ago. I will stick with the wait as McMillan gives a .mil discount that makes it worth it and I am on a pretty tight budget unfortunately.

Well I broke down and bought the one stock they had at Stocky's. Again, thank you for the lead. I started looking at the timeline and there is a possibility that I could rotate before even getting the stock from McMillan so this will ensure that I get the rifle built before I leave Lejeune. Stock will be here on monday.

Stockys has that stock instock right now. Just incase you dont wanna wait

Last edited:
good deal. sometimes time is worth far more than money. Look around you may be able to get some of the remaining components with cyber monday or black friday deals to make up for the increase cost

Yeah, I will give that a shot :). Seems like as far as gun related items go what I need is never on sale. Of the list of components the only part I do not have is the Badger DBM so maybe someone will have a crazy deal on that.

Almost ready to send off to Quantico, just waiting on the Badger DBM that should be here in the next two weeks. Can't wait to get it together and shoot it.
59o1.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on midway, however I have one coming from Badger. They have a .mil program that makes the price attractive. And i guess I need to amend my original post, it's going to be more of an A3 than an A5 I guess. It will be a transitional piece with the DBM but without the NV mount and brake. I will never have NV or a suppressor so don't really need them :).

Check midway for the dbm.

You also need the nv rail and brake as well as the rings.

Scope should come last

No PGW NV rail? Very hard to find, but worth it. I have one on my build. Paid $210 for mine.

Thats a good price. The cheapest I have seen was on gunbroker and the guy wanted $350 for them. I can always try to find one later on in life when I actually have the money for it :). This rifle will probably wear the scope and rings that came with my M24 (Mk 4 M3A 10x) because it will be a long time before I can afford the correct optics. I am pretty much expending my entire hobby budet for the forseeable future on the build because once I leave this base I wont have the ability to get one built at Quantico.

Lookin good, nice to know you put it together as you could. Makes it really mean something when you are done. Take care out there.

Scatsob, sent you a pm.

The DBM & rail were an upgrade to the A3 done in the fleet (most likely) at the time the mod instruction for them came out or durring rebuilds at PWS before the A5 came about. The distinguishing factor between A3 & A5 is the brake.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I am very excited for this build as well :). Wish I had the cash for the correct scope.

That's interesting about the A3's. The rifles I saw at the MARSOC armory had NV rails and DBM's but no brakes. Guess theu were A3's then.

Scatsob, sent you a pm.

The DBM & rail were an upgrade to the A3 done in the fleet (most likely) at the time the mod instruction for them came out or durring rebuilds at PWS before the A5 came about. The distinguishing factor between A3 & A5 is the brake.

Cant wait to see it, I never get tired of looking at these types of rifles.

Took me the best part of 2 yentas to get all the bits and get it built but it was worth it…….
The only thing I could not get was the Schneider barrel, so I had Border Barrels in Scotland make me a blank to the same specs, got the scope with GEN II reticle from S&B.
Worth the wait…no doubt. Few guys on here helped me out with some parts. I had no problem getting the PGW rail but went with the Badger one….

Beautiful rifle aces...thanks for sharing. I will get the correct scope at some point, just no cash at the moment for that high end of an optic. I will probably just swap the PH between my M24 and the M40.

I sold a rifle to fund the scope, wasn't easy getting a S&B with a Gen II ret but managed it.
Cost me an M14 ….. good luck with your build, mine was worth the wait, even if I couldn't get the 'right' barrel….

I am in the same boat, but I don't have any more rifles to sell that come close to the cost of the S&B unfortunately. I also have gun ADD too and am trying to put together an M110K1 clone with a CMMG CBR as a starting point.

The funny thing about barrels is if you never say anything no one could tell :). If it's 6 groove 1:12 it's the same.

Thats a good price. The cheapest I have seen was on gunbroker and the guy wanted $350 for them. I can always try to find one later on in life when I actually have the money for it :). This rifle will probably wear the scope and rings that came with my M24 (Mk 4 M3A 10x) because it will be a long time before I can afford the correct optics. I am pretty much expending my entire hobby budet for the forseeable future on the build because once I leave this base I wont have the ability to get one built at Quantico.

E-mail Ross at [email protected] and ask for an M40 Accessory Rail, P/N A-004/M40. About a year ago, you could buy them for $250 including shipping.

Last edited:
Some progress on the rifle :).

In the beginning...

Barrel threads, thread relief, and shoulder done...no counter bore or chamber yet

Recoil lug reaming

Clearance notch milled

Action face and locking surface before and after

barreled action :)

Still cant wait for the finished product, its gonna be a sweet rifle.

Crown done today as well as chambering. I am so excited about how quickly it is coming together. Just needs the clip slotting and base holes drilled and retapped to 8-40. I also got a hold of Ross at PGW and will be picking up an NVG rail so it will be as the M40A3's in the fleet are, at lease the few I have handled.

Some more progress. Inletting for the EFR.

Drilling out the mount holes and tapping 8-40. Per the remington norm the original holes were just a "little" off.

A little is an understatement! The hole shown tapped out to 8-40 had to be moved a little bit to get the full value of the larger hole it was being opened up to.

A1, no set forth-specified depth on that 45°

That one is .100" on the face, .125" at 45° (.088" depth)

Thankyou, Sir. It was the depth of the recessed surface I was curious about (.088").

Great project! Bloody serious approach. Good luck, I'm sure she will be great shooter.
But don't complain about long waiting time. Ive spent ages with customs complications to build it outside of US.

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_172117.jpg
    IMG_20140204_172117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20140204_162550.jpg
    IMG_20140204_162550.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
This is a cool build thread. I hadn't really given building an M40A3/5 variant but this sort of peaks my interest. First to get my M24-Rebuild in hand (within a week) before approaching my wife with another rifle project idea.........

Beautiful rifles! I would love to build a correct Mk.13 too but I want to get a KAC SR25 first. The M110K1 is a sexy rifle.

QUOTE=Alien61;2945645]Great project! Bloody serious approach. Good luck, I'm sure she will be great shooter.
But don't complain about long waiting time. Ive spent ages with customs complications to build it outside of US.[/QUOTE]

EFR glassed in. Smith says bedding of the action and DBM should be complete by the end of the week then the barreled action will get blued and it's off to QC :).

It's getting there.....glad to see this thread is still going..!!! Keep the pics coming.

I'm jealous but excited for you!!!

Question, do they use the factory bolts? If so, is there anything done to them? I'm assuming maybe the only thing is the lugs lapped?

I'm looking forward to building mine but have always used custom parts in the past so this is unfamiliar territory. Other then not being spec would there be any performance benefit to using a one Peice PTG bolt?

Last edited:
You are gathering parts for an M40A3/5 build? They are sexy guns. Who will do your build?

Yes, I have a spare 700 action and barrel but it will be awhile before I start it. It won't be a spec build by exact parts but it will look spec and perform just as well. Only differences for mine will be the barrel, I have 2 blanks to use but they are not a Schneider. I don't need mine to be exactly spec but it will be close, hence my question regarding the bolt.

I have a guy I've never met but consider a close friend who is going to do the work for me. He's retired gunsmith and was/still is very good at what he does.

Woops, sorry, missed the bolt question in my first read. Other than it being a more structurally sound unit, not soldered like the remington, I don't think there would be a performance gain with a PTG bolt. I was going to get a PTG for my build but ran out of time and in the end it probably wouldn't have made much difference. This rifle will only be "deploying" to the range so I don't expect any problems with the bolt handle. The guys I have talked to here at Lejeune have mentioned they do not like the Sako style extractors as they tend to break more often than the regular remington extractor.

Yes, I have a spare 700 action and barrel but it will be awhile before I start it. It won't be a spec build by exact parts but it will look spec and perform just as well. Only differences for mine will be the barrel, I have 2 blanks to use but they are not a Schneider. I don't need mine to be exactly spec but it will be close, hence my question regarding the bolt.

I have a guy I've never met but consider a close friend who is going to do the work for me. He's retired gunsmith and was/still is very good at what he does.

Do yourself a favor and send your rifle to someone like GAP if you want it done right. I learned the hard way and had my Receiver , 30 MOA double lugged USMC rail, Schneider barrel totally butchered by a Gunsmith who claimed he worked at PWS and assured me he had done this work before and had all the correct USMC specs programmed into his CNC machine.

PM me if you want the name of this butcher since i don't want to mention him here on this site for the risk of being banned.

Man that sucks :(. We're you able to get it fixed and the build completed?

Do yourself a favor and send your rifle to someone like GAP if you want it done right. I learned the hard way and had my Receiver , 30 MOA double lugged USMC rail, Schneider barrel totally butchered by a Gunsmith who claimed he worked at PWS and assured me he had done this work before and had all the correct USMC specs programmed into his CNC machine.

PM me if you want the name of this butcher since i don't want to mention him here on this site for the risk of being banned.