• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 Eric Reid Spec M40 side mount bolt release

TWOMANATTACK

Minuteman
Dec 9, 2010
menifee california
I have owned 2 bonified M40A3 USMC SPEC sniper rifles built by Eric Reid (have receipts to show this) and they both are equipped with side mount bolt release. Now that I cannot contact him, I am wondering if anyone knows why and when they changed. Here is a picture released to the public by the Marine Corps... notice the Bolt Release. What is the TRUE M40A3 spec.
mraa82.jpg

Re: M40A3 Eric Reid Spec M40 side mount bolt release

Was told that side bolt release was present in early M40a3, and was mfg by PGW. It was spec at one point in time.

You might want to break out the Google fu for these modification instructions (MI) ....

MI 05539D-IN/1
31 May 2005
REPLACEMENT OF EXTERNAL BOLT RELEASE LEVER ON M40A3 SNIPER RIFLE

MI 05539D-IN/2
30 November 2005
Replacement of the Unertl 10X Telescope with the Scout Sniper Day Scope (SSDS) on M40A3 Sniper Rifle (Early SB SSDS)

MI 05539D-IN/3A
28 February 2007
Modification of Sniper Rifle, 7.62MM, M40A3 (installation instructions for the PGW Accessory Rail)

Yes they did come with the side bolt release when they first came out with the M40a3. They got rid of them because they constantly broke. I dont know exactly when they changed it but when we had our M40a3's they didnt have them. The space that used to be there was covered and Allenst gave you the link to fill it in. I dont think that PGW did the bolt release it was done in house by the 2112. Can you show pics of the bolt release that you have on your M40a3? I also have it on mine. I broke it once and replaced it. If need be I have plenty of pics of real guns that have the bolt release and pics of the one that I have that one built to spec.

Those are Modification Instructions for End Item ID Number 05539D (M40A3). Any Ordnance M.I. is going to be classified material off of USMC.mil/Marines.mil (CAC w/ permissions needed)

the bolt release is an exact copy of a McMillan bolt release, they bought some from McMillan and latter machined their own. They were Discontinued by the USMC a couple years into the production.

the ones that had them when they are rebuilt they were removed and they filled the hole with marine tex