• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a3 Quasi-Clone Build

ColRH7

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2023
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm looking at starting a quasi-clone for a M40a3, I say quasi-clone because I am willing to make a few compromises such as using an optic I already have and a Timney two stage trigger. My main goal is I want a rifle that looks and shoots like an A3.
I was looking at this barreled action (https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/sale-items/22341-remington-700-usmc-m40-barreled-action-sa.html) from Pacific Tool and Gauge, but was told that it was a 1:10 twist barrel while the m40s are generally 1:12.
PTG also has just the action (https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/sale-items/22337-remington-40x-action-us-darpa-cut-with-raillug.html) so I was thinking I could find a m40 contour barrel, but I would prefer a prefit since the only gunsmith near me is quite pricey.

Any advice or info that the hive mind could give on either of the two actions or how to best turn one into a reasonable facsimile of a M40?

Thanks in advance

Since you're just going for a quasi clone I might suggest looking at the Bergara M40-ish, pretty turn key that's not bad price wise when you factor in piecing together the action, stock, barrel, bottom metal, rail, and all the gunsmithing time.

Bergara-Small-Batch-No.-2-%E2%80%93-The-M40-ISH-3.png

Rob on YT did a pretty good feature on it and it seemed to hang with an M40A5 side by side.

Reactions: diggler1833
I did the 'inspired' look several years ago with an FN SPR A2, I just painted the stock green. It certainly wasn't close, but it looked decent enough for me to justify saving ~ $3K over a GAP built clone. Plus it shot pretty well in stock form and was as stout as the original (maybe even more).

I've not had any experience with PT&G, but if you do a search here you'll easily find a dozen comments/threads about backorder, lack of communication, and other issues. I don't like trashing a company I haven't used...it's unprofessional (and im sure someonewill be along soon to object). However, I've seen them mentioned enough that I choose to spend my money elsewhere. YMMV.

The Bergara mentioned above will save you a bit over commissioning a build...plus it has a couple "upgrades" over a factory 700 action.

An Origin action and prefit M24/M40 barrel will get you (meh) close enough to the look (just like that Bergara). Plus if you can do that yourself, there's no reason why you don't have the skill to bed the barreled action and bottom metal to the correct stock (at least an A4...I haven't checked to see if McMillan still makes the M40A3). It wouldn't be hard to build a good shooter for around the $3K ish mark.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 81sfo