• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 untalked about spec

blakheaven

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
OK
www.google.com
When it comes to the M40A3 (or the A1) you can find most if not all specs through some research on Wiki, Texas Brigade, GAP, or here. The specs include everything from rifle serial numbers to the specific bedding used by the USMC but my question is this: What is the spec on the stock paint? I know they typically or all come in OD green (for the A3) and they can be painted later to match the enviroment but what is the actual USMC spec on this? Do they all have to be molded in OD green first then repainted, or can they be Desert camo and repainted or any combination? This pic is the design I like that I am borrowing from Shawn B but have two questions about this paint job: one is this "spec" and two how do you go about painting the stock to be like this? (is there a name for this design?)
P1020620.jpg

Re: M40A3 untalked about spec

Well used. Correct me if I am wrong. I think ShawnBs is a return stock.

No doubt, pait it with Krylong to match your wanted pattern/surroundings and wear the heck out of it....touch it up as needed even with a different color.

Return stocks are the best with multiple layers of Krylon to tell a story. IMHO they should never be stripped, it takes all the stories away and loses charcter.

That is a very nice lookin stick. Most of us don't have the guts to paint the 3K optics to match the rest like it needs to be. They sure are pretty either way.

All stocks are OD Green when they are built in the shop. There is no spec on the paint jobs. If im correct the snipers get to paint there own stocks to match the layout of the land. Ive seen some awesome patterns to include skulls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JR CARTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All stocks are OD Green when they are built in the shop. There is no spec on the paint jobs. If im correct the snipers get to paint there own stocks to match the layout of the land. Ive seen some awesome patterns to include skulls. </div></div>

this is correct....no SOP, just paint it to match where ever you are heading.

Again if you have any questions about the A3 platform ill be glad to answer. Just PM me. Built and rebuilt well over 250 for the Corps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well used. Correct me if I am wrong. I think ShawnBs is a return stock. </div></div>

Correct, the one pictured was indeed a trade in to McM and sold to GAP. Believe there were 14-15 and available only as a complete build from GAP. A limited number of gents had the money and were quick enough to get them. Don't think the choices lasted but a day or two. George posted a pic of all the stocks and you could call or PM him with which # you wanted.

IIRC a couple were just the Mcm molded in OD, others were painted by prevoious USMC user. My guess is everyone including ShawnB left them as is.

Ahh thats what I thought but I dint know if there was limitations or guidelines that had to be followed when painting them. I have seen the scull paint job that you were referring to but thought that was out of reg. Ok so if you can paint it whichever to match the environment (which makes sense) I didn't know if they had a list of approved colors with serial numbers (I know kinda taking it far but part of the enjoyment for me is not only shooting but the authenticity of the rifle) I think all of us are like that a little considering we don't shoot competition rifles with pink stocks here lol.Oh and cause I am a typical guy and suck at naming colors, what would you say Shawn B's stock colors are? I was thinking desert tan yellow and brown with the first coat in OD green and all scratched to hell but dont know. Will be going to the smith tomorrow to have my A4 painted, and like you said I dont have the balls to have my S&B painted.